Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Restrictions on Sitting?

JoyJJoy Posts: 560
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm curious about the number of posts that say their doc/pt person told them to limit sitting to 30 min. at a time. My doc never mentioned restrictions on sitting. So...why limit the sitting time? I had my fusion done 6/26/08 and find that I hurt more from laying flat on the bed than I do if I sit for long periods.
advertisement

Comments

• Joy,

I don't think the dr. said anything about sitting but the PT at rehab told me no more than 30 minutes at one time. At 6 weeks, when I asked the surgeon, he said I can sit for 45 minutes. At 3 months he said there were no more restrictions. But depending on the chair, sometimes I feel the need to get up for a while. I am 4-months post-op.

Kin
  • I took my daughter to a movie last weekend. I was worried about sitting- I took my meds just as the movie was starting. At first it was a little painful, but the movie was good and the pain subsided. I was sitting very errect/well supported (first time since the surgery). I felt almost normal after the movie. There was zero pain in walking for the first and only time since my sugery.......

I am now starting to look for a chair that offers such great support as my recliners and sofas do not. Any suggestions?

My NS did not give me any restrictions other that the no BLT.

Julie

• Originally I was given 20 min max by the physio for sitting but I asked the o/s at 6 weeks and he lifted the restriction and said just to listen to my body.
    Now it really depends on the chair I am in. My computer chair is good and I can sit for up to am hour if I get 'lost ' in what I am doing but I am very stiff when I do get up so try to remember to get up more often. My sofa chair is not good and only use it to watch TV and make sure to get up every set of advertisments.
    The movies is fine as long as I go to greaterunion as hoyts chairs are not comfy in at all.
    SO like the Dr said I am being guided by the pain in what I can do. I am 4 months out now after a 3 level PLIF.

Blessings Sara O:)
  • My NS said only 10 minutes per hour of sitting initially post-op. He increased it to 15 minutes at my 2 week check-up. He said sitting will not damage anything, but it will cause more spasms and pain. I agree with that. My back is most comfy lying supine with pillows under my knees. Sue
  • Joy:

I had a TLIF Sept. 2007 and my sitting was limited. My doctor told me to sit as little as possible the first 6 weeks. He said it would put pressure on my spine causing pain and it would impede the fusing process.

Ellen
advertisement