Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

13 days post op

brucie76bbrucie76 Posts: 114
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Just got home from my first post op visit with my dr and all is going well. Got those durned staples out, I think they hurt just as much as the fusion did lol. Mr dr lifted my driving restrictions....feels great not having to rely on others to get myself places anymore. My dr also said he wants me to get one of those tens machines, to help with the bone growth. Luckily, they said my insurance should cover the whole thing. I managed to get a good look at my x-rays that they took today. Can thankfully report that from what I seen, the disks above my fusion point still look to be in pretty good shape. Here's hoping that i'm done with surgeries for awhile (crossing fingers, toes, eyes, anything I can)!!! I seem to be doing pretty good, better this time around than with my first one. Still forcing myself to take it slow (something I didn't do with my first one). I wish everyone else the best in their surgeries, and easy recoveries!!!!
advertisement

Comments

• Brucie- Great news! I am happy for you.

Julie
  • was for pain not bone growth.

Christina :)
  • What type of surgery did you have? My doc will not even xray me until 6 weeks post op and I can not drive until he gives me the ok then!
  • Brucie, Congratulations on your positive appointment and driving privileges! I don't think it is a TENS unit you're getting, as that is for pain and my understanding is you can feel it buzzing your muscles. Probably it is a Bone Growth Stimulator. I have one that I wear for 30 minutes a day. I strap it around my waist, push a button, and it runs for 30 minutes then shuts off. It makes no sound, noise, nothing while running. It beeps when done. I have to use it for 9months. My surgeon says he throws in everything AND the kitchen sink :) My insurance paid for it. These rep people showed up while I was in the hospital and dropped if off, saying start it after you go home. I have forgotten once or twice, woops. It keeps count of days missed, I guess so your doc can check up on you to see if you are being complient.
    http://www.djortho.com/bonestim/products/default.asp#sf

Shay, I don't get my first xray until 8 weeks post-op on Sept 29. I've noticed some people getting one around 2 weeks, probably to check hardware. I know I had O-arm xrays in the OR to confirm screw placement. My doc said I could drive at 2 weeks (didn't want to then) but now at 4 weeks I am taking short trips.

Good Luck everyone! Sue

• I am not sure exactly what i'm getting lol...just that its for bone growth. If a tens is for pain then its not that lol.
  • I had a fusion done at L4-L5 and they replaced the hardware at L5-S1 as well. My dr xrayed me this soon after my first surgery as well, I assume to make sure everything still looks good. I wasn't allowed to drive for 4 weeks after first surgery, but I guess with me feeling better after this one he said I could as long as I was comfortable. Took a short trip (15 min drive each way) and it all but killed me lol. So I will be sticking to very short drives and only for the necessities.
  • I also noticed that your surgery was alot more extensive than mine. I was in and out in less than 2 hours, and all they did was fuse with screws.
  • I was sent home with one that I have to wear 4 hours a day for the next6-8 months,, They are about $5000.00 thank God for insurance... It kinda looks like a big necklace with a computer on the front.... Usually hurts more after I use it for some reason.....
  • great to see you doing so well!!!!

i also had xrays at 4 weeks. driving well i did not have a car so that was a easy answer :D

i also am going to call monday and ask for a bone stim. because i DO NOT want to do this for the 3rd time.
    even though they say the 3rd time is a charm, well i'd rather not take that chance <:P #o

keep up the awesome recovery brucie!!! >:D<
advertisement