Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Old, but new here!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi Everyone! I just joined a few days ago and this group has already been very helpful. My name is Jan, I am 57, and had neck surgery 2 1/2 years ago and lower back surgery nearly 2 years ago. The doctor placed 8 screws in my lower back, now my spine is collapsing on it. It is the worst pain I have been in. I saw a new surgeon yesterday and hopefully will be having surgery very soon. I am going in for 2 MRI's today, one with contrast and one without. I am waiting for my nerve conduction test to be scheduled. I hope after that I can have the surgery and be able to get out of bed. I would write out all the technical things, but will have to dig out my papers to remember it all and that doesn't sound like fun right now! Lying on my heating pad with fans blowing and the air conditioner turned down is my favorite thing to do. Doesn't seem to stop me from shopping; catalogs and the internet keep me up with that. Now if I would just leave the house and go somewhere besides doctors maybe I could wear some cute new clothes! Thanks for all the good advice here, and to have a great place to vent. Jan
advertisement

Comments

• welcome to spine-health...
  • Now only if we can all have healthy spines soon!

Jan
  • :) hi! and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i like your style. i love to shop, mostly late at night. i don't do much actual buying but i love clothes and it is so much fun to build a new outfit for free!! like you the doctors office is where i show off most of my wardrobe! lol! i am sorry about your failed surgeries. another one coming up! i hope you find some comfort in the wonderful people you meet here. we all have pain in common. i look forward to seeing you around the forum! Jenny :)
  • Jenny,

Thank you for the nice welcome! It is fun to shop when pain keeps you up all night, isn't it. I am very glad to have found this group. My friend in FL (I am in Vegas) told me about it. She just had her surgery a month ago.

Thanks again for being so friendly!

Jan
  • Yes, I like to shop from the internet and catalogues too! The only thing is that if you make it a hobby it can get very expensive and my husband wishes that I would find another hobby! :O Anyway, I am glad that you are here and hope that you have much better luck with the next surgery. Please keep us posted.
  • You sound like a fun person! I hope you get to feeling better and get out of bed, show off some of those new duds!

Teri (keep me off EBay please)
  • Thanks Teri! I actually am bidding on a hair instyler rotating hot iron right now. Who knows, maybe I will finally get out and need my hair to look good with my new clothes! I see that you have lost weight too. I find that the pain makes me sick to my stomach a lot of the time. I seem to only be able to eat when the pain pills work well.

Jan
  • Hiya

Jan welcome to spine help, one thing is that here you will have the support of people that can emphasise with you.I had the MRI nerve test, its not that bad, the results showed that my nerves are damaged and lack oxygen.Any time you fancy a chat you can normally find me in the spine health chat room .
  • I am madly rushing now to get all my testing done for surgery on Oct. 22. This morning I am having a discogram. I had one before with no pain meds, anesthesia, or anything. This doctor will knock me out, wake me when he needs to, then knock me out again. He promises I won't remember a thing. My daughter had one done by him and didn't remember the entire day. I am not so scared now that I know that. My last one was so painful I couldn't believe it. I have to have a mammogram on Monday, an eye exam on Tuesday, pick up my brace this week, have the preop visit with the surgeon on the 16th, then I am ready for the surgery. I am going to a really nice new hospital with all private rooms, so that should help. They have large flat screen tv's. and a sofa bed if someone wants to spend the night with you. It should be a lot more pleasant experience than my last back surgery. I am trying to get home nursing set up too. Last time I was alone and had to do everything on my own, including going up and down the stairs to the kitchen. I have since moved to a one story house. My old surgeon didn't believe in braces, and that didn't help when I kept falling down the stairs. This time I am having a full on "turtle shell" type brace. They didn't have any cute ones, so I am going to glam it up! One of my friends is going to move in for a while, but she has to go out of town for a week a week after I get home. My youngest daughter and her family live right across the street, so they can help.

Good luck with your injections. I just had the same a couple of weeks ago and they did help. They seem to be wearing off now, but surgery is coming!

Jan
  • :) Jan, Well you have one busy week. ~X( i know all will go well for you. have you set up your house to be ready for you? you may need a raised toilet seat and a grabber. i think you are wise to try and get help for that second and third week as well. :? you are really doing your homework and should be ready to go!! i do wish you the best this week. rest when you can, your pain level may go up even more! ~X( i like the idea about your brace!! it will give you something to do after surgery!! i know that will be one crazy brace! Jenny :)
  • Hi Jan,

Sounds like we are about the same age and I, too, am new to this site. I've been reading the posts since before my surgery in July but just got up the nerve to start posting myself.

I have lost about 15 pounds since surgery (that is just fine) and now need new clothes. Just don't have the energy or stamina to go shopping so I, too, have been indulging in the internet shopping thing. Of course, stuff arrives, doesn't fit and has to go back. My husband groans when a package arrives knowing it will likely mean another trip to the post office for him when I have to return it!

I have the turtle shell brace. The biggie is finding tops that will go over it. Of course, even when I do I still look fat and deformed but that is a small price to pay if it works. Also, my brace somehow seems to push on my slacks so they slide down - the baggie-butt look is not cute and I am constantly pulling them back up. I have not found an answer for that problem yet.

Maybe I did not read carefully enough (quite likely!) - what surgery are you having?

• Sorry, I didn't see this post earlier. I have been wearing my brace over my tops. I don't care if people see it, at least that way they may be more curteous. I already have a flat but and my pants are always falling down. I tried wearing a belt, but that didn't help much. So Miss Saggy Butt I still am!

My surgery was my second to repair my first, and my spine had collapsed on top of the first surgery. This surgeon did an excellent job as I have felt much better than I did before surgery. He also used rods and plates, while the other surgeon only used screws. I still need to get all the technical things written out for me so I can post them. I do know I have had surgery from L 2 thru S1 now on my back, and 4 discs in my neck fused. I am going to have a cat scan on my neck done in the next week or two as I keep having problems now with my left or right arm being painful from the neck to the fingers. The surgeon thinks that there is some bulging in the fusions already done, and more collapsing in T1. Might as well get the whole spine in there I guess! I am very happy with his last surgery. I changed surgreons from the one that did the first 2 surgerys.

Good luck buying those clothes. I had to send everything back to Boston Proper as all their clothes seem to be made for people with hips. I had some really cute things I was hoping to keep! I am now hoping to not do much more shopping until I wear what I have. I tried on my smallest jeans (that had always been too small) to wear today, and they fit with plenty of room, so I wore them to the doctor. Made my day! It is still kinda hard to try on too many things at once, and I have things with tags in my closet, so I will hold my self back for at least a few more weeks. Good luck to you, and try wearing that brace on the outside if you are still wearing it.

Jan ;)
  • Nice to hear from you. Is your recovery going well?

Meg
  • Meg,

It is going so much better than my first back surgery; thanks for asking! The only trouble that I am having is pinched nerves from my neck affecting my entire right arm and hand. I saw the surgeon 2 days ago and he is ordering a new CT scan to see what the problem is. I already knew I would be needing another neck surgery. I just hope they can do it soon.

I really am amazed how much easier this back surgery has been. The last surgeon only used screws, and I guess that wasn't enough. This time I have rods, pins and other goodies that have really helped, plus I have a turtle shell brace instead of none. What a difference it makes. I hope all is going well with you. My brace seems to push my pants down some too.

Jan
advertisement