Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Suggestions about beds after lumbar fusion wanted

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had lumbar fusion 7/24 /08 I've been lucky as i have no pain after . Haven't had the scan to see if the fusion has worked yet (i hope ihope). i think thats next week . Afterward i want to replace our King bed . Ours is a name brand 5yr old but we got it at BJs so it might be of lesser quality. I noticed that its developed a trench on the both sides so I want to replace it . We are both light i'm 175 and she is around 100 lbs seems it should have lasted longer .We always do the spin and flip thing .
Due to trying to be careful when i roll its like i have to climb out of a ditch spin on top of the hill then slide back in .Its like work even with the silk boxers !Didn't notice it before having the surgery.
What i'd like to ask is if anyone that has had a lower back fusion has found over time a certain mattress that is better than another. We looked at the thermorest with memory foam .the wife tried it out and liked it .I couldn't cause of this brace i still have on and I don't want to take it off and try to lay in the store . Also i don't know what to expect after the fusion so i hate to spend 3 grand and not like it .Anyone have a opinion from experience please write Thanks Seamoose
advertisement

Comments

• before my 2 level fusion in july, I had back pain for a long time. my husband and I invested in a $5K tempurpedic bed in June and WOW I love it. it's the kind that has the two twin mattresses on top that can adjust with a motor (remote controls). it's the best sleep I've had my whole life (I'm 37) and had back issues for like 10 years. I had a topper once when I was single. also tempurpedic so if you can't buy the killer bed, I would highly recommend the topper. we bought ours at Relax the Back. you could probably google that and find a variety of tempurpedic mattresses and prices.
  • i was close, but no bannana ! yes the wife laid on one of them and said it was great . I checked a few sites that give opinions about beds and they say good things about it . I didn't know if prople experence different needs after the fusion . i d replace it tomorrow but want to see when I can get back to work first before spending my stash.hopfully some news next week about the fusion . I've been going in our guest room some nights just cause i can't roll around .i wake up 10 times a night have to slide up the hill then tuck and roll so I don't twist the back . I'm one of those people that travels all over the bed at night . With the back i can't spin like I used too. Thanks for the comment Seamoose
  • Have you heard of the SAT bed? If not, pm me and I will give you the info to their web site. I also have an awesome bed topper that has made such a huge difference in my life. I had spent a fortune on a Sleep Number bed about 5 years ago and it was a huge mistake! Pm me and I will give you the info on everything!
  • If u want to do a test drive on something similar before spending so much.
    I bought a tempurpedic topper. 3 inches reg foam 1 inch temperpedic foam.
    it was like 129 at walmart for a queen size.
    Works like a charm!!!
    As our mattress was only 4 yrs old and I just did not want to spend money on a new one yet.

Let us know how things work out. :)))
  • i think i have to go with a mattress as the support is saging it would still have the dip in it with the topper . I just at looked a guy on u tube has a site called sleep like the dead .com That rates them mattress by a survey he did .I just read that on another the tempurpedic gets complaints from prople who sleep hot and thats me ,i'm a furnace at night so that won't due . I'll keep getting suggestions then see how they hold up in the ratings . I never had such time on my hands !!!!! Can't wait to go back to work!!!!thanks Seamoose
  • i just found the web site for the SAT . Looks promising!!
  • thanks for your info u found. will be helpful for others also.
    there used to be a huge thread on the old site about mattresses.

your right about the heat!!!!
    it does give of alot.
    and well if you sweat not good for ya.

we/ i have to sleep with the a/c on. lol

good luck in ur search!!
  • I just looked up at that profile below your post . My heavens, yikes ! And here i'm complaining about my bed !!!
    Something to check out if you are a hot sleeper !
    http://bedfan.com/ or http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8524491813343499145
  • You could probably get a new regular bed and a 3 inch memory foam topper and spend way less than a tempurpedic. I got the Isotonic Iso-cool topper. Suppose to not heat up like tempurpedic. Okay so far. Remember with reg. beds, you get what you pay for. Are you in the brace 24/7? If not well take it off and try them out!
  • I am so glad I am not looking for a new bed.
    However I have had a squiz around - more because I was tired and needed to lie down when I was shopping :))( and have tried out a gel mattress which seemed to be really good. I used to have a waveless,water bed and I really regret getting rid of it. Never slept better in my life and my back was never so good.

I know in Aussie there is a bed that has a number control. So you can adjust it for how soft or firm you want it and each side of the bed can be different.eg you want a firm mattress so you may be a 1 but your wife wants a softer one so she might be a 4.

Hope you find what you are looking for.
    Sometimes there is just too much of a choice. :))(

Blessings Sara O:)
  • Hi, my husband and I just purchased a new mattress in April of this year and it is a memory foam bed just like the high dollor Tempurpedic....but bought it from Overstock.com. We just love it! Total cost with shipping and everything was
    $530.00....read the reviews that's what sold us.
    My husband and I both suffer with back and neck issues...me I have had two cervical fusions, 2000 and 2008, and getting ready for lumbar spinal fusion the 16th of this month....and this mattress has really helped with the pressure points issue. The mattress is rated for 20 years, has a zip off cover that can be washed and also keeps dust mites and such down. It has been far and above what we could have ever imagined for the price.....just a thought.
    Good luck in your search, lmeston
  • My wife realy fell in love with the memory foam and that is a very good price . I have to do more research about complaints from perple that sleep hot like me . If it holds body heat it would be like sleeping on a sponge by morning for me . I spent some time looking at different review sites . The more you look the more you get confused one person claims a model is holding up great for yrs then the next reviewer has had the same one replaced and the replacement one is saging after a month . Thanks for your comments Seamoose
  • so my husband and I have had the tempurpedic mattress for like 4 months and neither one has ever thought it gave off heat or retained it. we love it so much. we could have gotten one for a lot less, we just chose to go all out and get the motorized individual twin mattresses for the top. I work from home, have had back issues for many years, so for us it was a smart investment. I can work more hours from my ridiculously comfortable bed. I can vary the back or the legs going up or down. I sleep better than I have in years. I know $5K is a lot of money, but we've commented many many times how this is probably the best investment other than our home we've ever made! and after surgery, having individual mattresses was invaluable as he never moved me. and it doesn't keep us from snuggling at all at night (it's very little space between the twin mattresses)!
    before this bed and before we got married, I had a tempurpedic twin mattress topper. my son inherited that and he loves it! but when this bed was installed, both my kids were like "wow! this is awesome!"
    so yeah... I am loving my tempurpedic!!! :)
  • If you are normal you might not understand ! It can be very hard to get a nights sleep when you wake every few hrs soaked .(Ask some women that experienced this during meno.) Normal people rate the bed highly .On a few websites about mattresses the MAIN CON of memory foam was if your a person that "SLEEPS HOT "it is not for you otherwise it gets good reviews except for off gassing for awhile and takes some a little to get used to
    I'm a extreme example of a hot sleeper I can easily be soaked if a blanket is put over me while sleeping .Just as most people on this site spend weeks to months even years in pain after fusion ,I didn't . I hirt for 5 days after a 3 level lumbar then stopped all drugs on the 5th day . By 6 th day I felt no pain at all .I could walk 3 to 5 mi by 7th day with no pain .I'm at week 5 now .I 'm going nuts as I feel fine but not allowed to do anything till fusion is confirmed . I didn't write anyone saying that they should feel no pain after 3 level fusion surgery because I had one and it dosen't hurt . we are all built differently
    I'll sweat just with a sheet on while my wife has our winter comforter on cause the air in room set so low . My home has central air but I have a 8,000 btu unit in my bed room so I can drop temp into the 60s at night . I get hot when I sleep ,have injuries , or if i'm upset.I have pillows the wife got a few years ago that are made that so one dosen't sweat as my hair will be wet when I wake .
    And before it gets mentioned no I'm not overweight 175 at 5'8" 32 waist at 53 still went to gym to lift till I blew second disc last spring . and my job puts on 10 to 15 miles on my feet a day 6 days a week .
    Right now the SAT bed might be the way to go . I have to check it out I have also found research that says the natural latex beds don't do this and are recomended for people like me so I'm looking into these . i may just get another spring air and just have to replace every 4 years .
    Thanks seamoose
    see. http://www.myfoammattress.net/guide/complaint.html
    From artical .The number one complaint about any memory foam mattress is heat. Foam is a material that generally traps heat well and dense foams trap it even better which can be a problem. Visco elastic foam is
  • wow. had no idea some people got so hot. bummer.
    good luck with your new bed!
advertisement