Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone like me, drugs work differently

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,728
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Pain Medications
Since I was Young, drugs have always affected me differently than everyone else. I'm talking about everything from over the counter drugs to narcotic drugs. For example tylenol makes me wired and jittery with night mares. NyQuil cough syrup wires me dose nothing for my cold or cough and I'll be up all night watching t.v. or staring at the ceiling.neroniton, made me want to die, as did fentanyl. I had to give many things 2 or 3 tries before I could tolerate them. My pm docs. file on me is 4 or 5 inches thick from all the injections and drugs I've tried. The cymbalta gave me all the side effects that people have coming off of it have, on the initial dose and the tration up. And I have really weird side effects on every thing I take, except aspirin and Valium. Well you get the picture I'm probably a 1 out of 1,000 or more. It would be nice if I could find someone I can identify with
Thanks for listening, Jim
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
advertisement

Comments

• Most drugs are like rat poison for me and really affect my personality. I am overly sensitive to most. Cymbalta actually made me depressed. I am trying weekly B12 shots and lots of exercise (the sweaty kind) to combat depression now.

I also do better on whole foods. The chemicals in packaged foods do not agree with me.
  • hi jim ,

i have had similar experiences.
    motrin rips my stomach.
    nyquil the same as u well im up all night. what good is that one with a major cold??? some ppl it knocks out for the count.
    anti depressents or anything similar makes me want to toss my cookies and i get so dizzy.
    at first narcotics made my heart race and i felt like i was not here. but after years of build up on tolerence i can take them all.
    morphine used to be fine. now i get major migranes. so i IV dilaudid now while admitted.
    valium after years of use is now giving me nightmares if i take it to sleep before bed or in the middle of the night.
    almost like a outer body experience. WEIRD..

so your not alone in all this that is for sure. #:S

take care jim!!

• I found out I was bipolar after prozac(ssri) brought out the worse manic/anger in me-I blew up out of nowhere on my half brother, threw my laptop into a wall and drove from Florida through katrina to Oregon.Oddly,Lexapro(ssri)just made me into a zombie.Aleve really hurts after awhile with acid reflux type pains as does other Nsaid's when used long term.I still use Aleve on really bad days.

Prednisone,oral or shot, gave me an out of body experience so frightening that I nearly killed myself.Not to mention my diabetes went haywire and sweat so bad needed to get fluids put back in.Caffeine relaxes me, more often than not too.

just a few exciting ones
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,728
    Hi guys, I really didn't expect anyone to be in my predicament. Believe me I don't wish this on anyone. I've been dumbfounded at the way things work for me. What was really the last straw, so to speak, was my spinal cord stimulator. After I healed and they were doing the adjustments, she said now what part of your back is getting the stimulation. I said, its in my stomach. she said quit kidding around, Isaid serious. and she said that can't be true. She did some more adjusting and asked again. I said it's in my side. She scratched her head and double checked. I said still same place. she adjusted some more and that went to my butt. she now calls me Mork from Ork. I've gone back several times and same thing. I asked her why don't you try something unorthodox ed and see what happens. well that was the closest shed been to my back. I told the pm doc. what was going on and that it really dose make perfect sense. by the way she said she'd never seen a humane being wired like me. So I think there isn't much hope for a weirdo like me!
    Good luck Jim
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I have such a low tolerance to meds that my PM doc can hardly believe it. Methadone keeps me awake and Cymbalta knocks me out. tylenol Pm knocks me out for days. But yes, there are lots of drugs that I react just the opposite than how you are supposed to react. I have titrated down to 30 mgs of Cymbalta and every time that I try and skip a day I get flu like symptoms. Sore, achy, dizzy etc.
  • I am very sensitive to a lot of meds too. Cymbalta made me feel like I was tripping for 3-4 days. The doctor said it was impossible...but why would I make that up? I only took half of the dose and it took over 4 days to be completely out of my system. Then they tried Effexor and the same thing happened except it only took 2 days to get out of my system. I feel these meds are dangerous. With the cymbalta the suicidal thoughts were controlling my mind. I went right to bed, lay in a fetal position and rocked back and forth as my mind was telling me to take the bridge. No joke. One of the scariest things I have ever been through. I would call the PM and tell him I am going to the ER because I am afraid to be alone with my 2 young children and he thought I was joking.
    The morphine made me feel like my body was injected with rage..I was the meanest person ever. Not to mention it backed me up so badly that even castor oil couldnt help me.Ultram sent me to the ER with a massive migraine - TWICE! So far the OC is doing its job with my pain - but some of the side effects I could do without. I do not like how mean it makes me along with some other things.
    My current PM told me a ER version of Vicodin is coming out soon and I hope it will be the right medication for me as I tolerate the Norco with no side effects.
    My medication list is a mile long and only a few things have worked.
    I am thinking of getting the spine stimulator as well - but I am scared to death that my body will reject it as it does with everything else.
    Good luck to us all.

Alina
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,728
    Hi all,
    Alina, I had forgot about my experience with morphine during my first surgery. they did the anterior and bone harvest and wainted 3 days to do posterior. I thought I was possessed by the devil. And so did all my family. I'm generally a nice guy. But Iturned evil and mean. On my next surg. I told the hospital I couldn't take morphine,so they gave me a cocktail, 3 things and I don't remember what it was but it worked once they got the dose up high enough. with the cymbalta, I tried and quit 3 times, the pm doc. said I needed to make it work cause we had exhausted everything else. so I explained to my wife and my brother,(whose had back surg. too) that I needed a baby sitter to make sure I didn't do anything to myself or anyone else. and I slowly triated up to 60 mg. But I just couldn't stand it and triated back to 30mg. I've been on this stuff for over 2 yrs. and I just can't stand it. so I'm triating off again. and it's terrible, I withdraw with really bad symptoms and I hope this doesn't Get me divorced! my wife has been a rock but she just can't stand me when I come off of this stuff. Good Luck toall of us, Jim
  • I had to stop trying to get off the Cymbalta because I was so sick that I felt like I was dying. I got down to 30 mgs and was trying every other day. The day after my first missed dose I felt like I had something worse than the flu. It was awful! My first grandson will be born in 3 weeks and I do not want to be going through withdrawals at that time so I am just going to try again after the birth unless my doc has a better suggestion when I see him on Monday. I told my doc in the beginning that I was sleeping 18-20 hours a day and he said that could not be the Cymbalta because that simply is not a side effect of the med. Well, I got news for him, it is now! Anyway good luck to all of us backward ones!
  • j.howie said:
    Since I was Young, drugs have always affected me differently than everyone else. I'm talking about everything from over the counter drugs to narcotic drugs. For example tylenol makes me wired and jittery with night mares. NyQuil cough syrup wires me dose nothing for my cold or cough and I'll be up all night watching t.v. or staring at the ceiling.neroniton, made me want to die, as did fentanyl. I had to give many things 2 or 3 tries before I could tolerate them. My pm docs. file on me is 4 or 5 inches thick from all the injections and drugs I've tried. The cymbalta gave me all the side effects that people have coming off of it have, on the initial dose and the tration up. And I have really weird side effects on every thing I take, except aspirin and Valium. Well you get the picture I'm probably a 1 out of 1,000 or more. It would be nice if I could find someone I can identify with
    Thanks for listening, Jim

Wow Jim...was I glad to find your post...
    Yes! I have this problem too!
    And I've always had this problem too.
    (Its so nice to find others that have this issue...
    I'm not glad
    you have this problem...
    but it is nice
    to know this wasn't in my head)

I used to take
    Tylenol SInus medication and I
    would be in the ozone!

One time I was so sick I finally
    tried taking the Tylenol sinus stuff again
    for the 1st time in several years -
    I laid down on the couch, hubby was in the recliner.
    I woke myself up talking to him...
    (I "think" I was asleep)
    he said
    I had said to him
    "hey look! that's where I grew up!"
    and I pointed to the corner of the room!
    LOL I mean - who does this?!?!
    And he said he thought I was wide awake...
    but, when he looked at me - I was pointing
    but eyes were closed...
    Its funny now ...but not really.

Toradol in the ER...
    I felt like I was asleep -
    but the whole time I was "thinking".
    It was like I was awake but I
    couldn't talk. It was horrible!
    when I got home, once again my
    eyes were closed but my mind was as active
    as all get out! eww that was horrible.

Cymbalta - was fainting for 2 months...
    thank goodness I had insomnia and was up
    for those late night commercials about meds...
    and one of the side effects was fainting!
    The bad thing is - it did help my pain by a little bit.

And I can NOT even think about
    taking sleep medication...
    not even OTC...
    I swear, I feel like
    I am turning into a werewolf!
    (I'm old so...
    I'm not a Twilight fan)
    I say werewolf because I just get this creepy feeling...
    like I can feel my hair growing...skin crawling.
    I want to jump out of my skin.
    And when I do fall to sleep -
    ... weird dreams where I literally sit straight up
    out of the blue :( and I'm very anxious, nervous,
    not my normal self in the head type of thing :(

I do have some normal type of side effects
    like blotching on my neck, arms, chest ...
    not raised - just redness....
    labored breathing,
    can't sleep - headaches...etc etc ...

Also, now it seems that
    none of the break thru meds
    I've been put on works :(

I feel like the dr must think I am lying :(
    How can you take these pain meds
    and they do not work?
    It sounds fishy TO ME!
    So I wouldn't blame him
    if he didn't believe me.

I just read about DMEx Gene Testing ...
    Apparently its for people who have numerous side effects
    when taking medication ...or the normal doses don't work for them...

By doing the test, they can prove that
    something IS off. Thank goodness!!

Maybe this is something you can check into Jim?
    Iverson Genetics has a lot of information
    about it - give it a google ...

The reason I am so excited about learning
    about this testing is that maybe my PM dr
    will listen to me if he has those test results.

My main pain issue (there are others)
    is that I have titanium rods in my back...
    that literally broke away from
    the location where they were surgically placed
    36 years ago...
    (I'm 54 - car accident that broke my back when I was 18
    and when I hit 39ish the pain started)

Apparently
    there is so much scar tissue around them ...
    no surgeon wants to run the risk of
    removing them :(
    2 of the 3 surgeons I went to see
    at the time told me
    I could run the risk of paralysis ...

So - for the past 15 years ...
    I've been in PM :(
    After spending the first 6 years ....literally suffering
    either from the pain or
    being placed on everything
    under the sun....and going thru all the
    adverse effects
    (passing out on Cymbalta for 2 months...
    blotches from Darvocets...
    couldn't breath from a ton of other things...
    most recently Nucentya / which actually
    did help the pain but that's no good if you
    can't breathe :(
    andddd last but not least
    - getting invasive procedures
    (from myelogram (sp?) to epidurals)
    I finally found a multidisciplinary pain clinic ...
    (I can hear the angels sing when I think about it)
    That was 9 years ago this month ...

They did chiropractic care, PT, massage,
    epidurals/trigger point injections etc AND
    had medical doctors on staff...
    The medical dr that was there
    at that time
    put me on
    the Fentanyl patch -

oh my gosh - it was heaven!
    I went from an 11 on the 1 to 10 pain scale...
    to a TWO! And it was within a month!
    I also did all of the other stuff too ...
    minus the procedures...
    So, I'm sure all of the above helped me.

(since the pain has heightened
    this past 1 - 1 1/2 years, I've
    had the procedures again)
    the thing that helps most -
    trigger point injections.

2 years ago... the multidisciplinary "part"
    of the clinic closed ...
    and all that is left...
    is the PM dr who has been there for
    the last 5-6 years...
    he isn't the dr that put me on the Fent

Up until 1 to 1 1/2 years ago ...
    (so thats about 7 years)
    I never needed an increase in meds...
    in fact - my breakthrough meds were cut in half...
    I was so proud of that.
    ...but now after being on the same dose of
    75 mcg Fentanyl patch for 9 years...
    my pain is going thru the roof again :(
    It is horrible...
    and my PM doctor does not like Fentanyl
    and will not raise my dose :(

Since he didn't like it ...
    I started to research it myself ... and frankly...
    Now I am ...hesitant to raise it too :(
    I just don't know WHAT the heck to do.

I feel like the patch is the only thing that has
    ever helped me without numerous side effects...

He wants me to go on the Butrans patch but
    I've heard time & time again
    I am going to go thru withdrawls because
    Butrans is so much more mild than the Fentanyl.

Also - I just DREAD the possibility of side effects.

I don't think people who don't go thru this...quite get it.

If I change medications - this means I have to deal with them
    or stop the medication on my own ... and wait till the following
    month. My PM office is not to good at returning calls :(

Dealing with adverse effects could mean
    ER trip ... which I really can't afford unless its crucial
    because I'm working 1/2 the amount I was 1 year ago
    because of my increased pain ...

I also have COPD/Asthma...which thank goodness - I only
    have to use Proventil 10-15 times a year ... no other medications.
    I'm very lucky in this regard. But again, I don't want to introduce
    a new medication that could change the moderate breathing issues
    IF I don't have too.

Personally, I think being on the same dose of Fentanyl for 7 years -
    without increase and pain is controlled...9 years and pain is not controlled...
    but I'm living - is pretty dang gone good. I just have heard so many times
    from other doctors - why fix something that isn't broke? Especially in my case
    where meds most often create big problems.

Okay I ramble :)

Thanks to anyone still listening. I'm sorry for getting a bit off track.
    I hope that company and information helps someone ...
    I feel...like its always nice when my experience - even a bad one
    can help someone else.

I'd also be open to any ideas, comments and thoughts from others.

God bless ...
    help!
  • Most meds that claim that might cause a little drowsiness causes long term sleeping for me. I cant even take cold medicines because of it. I also fall asleep to those that are not supposed cause drowsiness like Dayquil. If I have to wake up for work or drive within a couple hours of waking up, I don't take it. I do suffer from periodic insomnia( I will go a few months of little to know sleep and then I am back to normal). I have sleep apnea also. I don't dare take sleeping pills though. Im afraid I wont wake up for a day or more. I am on Nortriptyline now. As I started taking this, I was told it might make me drowsy. Nope. Quite the opposite. I was so pissed. Not to mention auditory halucinations. I still get them but not as bad. I can pretty much ignore most of them. The most annoying is the ear ringing and the sequada( sp?? its a type of bug that people hear in the summer) and the phone ringing even though its not.
    Tracie C
  • Jim,
    All narcotic pain meds make me wired and this includes Tramadol. If I take any of them after 3 p.m. I can't sleep. Even sleeping pills such as Ambien wire me along with over the counter sleep aids. I guess you aren't alone.

Dick
    Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • Ericsmom. I've had some problems with meds (nothing interesting) I hate making changes. All I can recommend is having a really honest conversation with your doc. That's what I did. I explained how long a month can be & how terrifying it is etc. We came-up with a plan b & plan c which he documented in my file with replacement prescriptions (incase he wasn't available). I know you can't cover for every eventuality but a good plan helps avoid a lot of problems.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I was just speaking about this today with a few co workers of mine. If there is a bad side affect, I am going to have it. I went through numerous pain meds and muscle relaxers and not one of them gave me enough relief to be able to deal with the side affects.

I am currently on the Butrans patch and it has quite a few side affects listed. This is only my second day on it and so far the only side affect i have had was feeling over heated and sweating pretty bad. I had to change into a short sleeve shirt to finally get comfortable (its about 32* here).

I feel your pain!
  • Have any of you ever been checked to see if you are a fast/slow metabolizer? It's been quite a while, but in doing some medical stuff for my daughter, a specialist had her checked with some fancy test (it was quite expensive if I recall) that showed whether she was a faster than normal or slower than normal medication metabolizer. It would give us more accurate dosage information for her (she was around 6 years old at the time). It makes sense to me that if you are a slower metabolizer and the drug stays in your system much longer than average that you would react more strongly.

Just thought I'd throw that out there as food for thought for those of you who struggle with medication issues.
    Christina
    Left leg radiculopathy/sciatic pain
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - May 30, 2014
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - Aug 14, 2014
    L5/S1 TLIF - Sept. 24, 2014
    Left-side screws/rod removed along with bone fragment Dec. 29, 2014
advertisement