Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

8 week post op results

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Had my first appointment since surgery on July 9th. Xrays looked good and the plate and screws are doing well.

I still won't be able to mud wrestle, ride roller coasters, skate board or lift anything heavy. And I was so looking forward to skate boarding. NOT. #o I think at 46, I'm a little too old for that anyway.

The doctor said he'll be able to tell in January if the fusing is taking place when we do the CT Scan. Guess it takes a while to really tell what's going on in there.

The numbness has gone down significantly over the past week as well.

Hope everyone else is doing well. Here's to speedy recoveries for all of us!!!
advertisement

Comments

• happy to hear you are doing good. If skateboarding is all you have to give up, I wouldnt cry :O) UNLESS you are a professional skateboarder and you are loosing your living :O)
    Do you have any recommendations for me asof what to do prior or after surgery to make it healquick and have as little pain as possible. Any advise is appreciated.
    Thank you
    Andrea
  • Skateboarding is over rated over 40 anyway! ;)) I can say that.
  • I think the biggest thing that helped me along was asking a lot of questions. I'm fortunate to have a DO that has a great nurse and never tired of my calling every other day (almost) after my surgery. You will feel things happening to your body that you probably never felt before. For me it was the nerve starting to "wake up".

I also walk about 3 miles a day now. I heard that was one of the best things to do after the surgery to help in the healing.

The other big thing is do what your doctor says. I don't lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk. Your body will tell you when you're doing something wrong...believe me.

Oh and buy an orthopedic-type pillow if you have to wear a collar (I bought my pillow at Kohl's for around $20, it was on sale). I had to wear an Aspen collar 23 hours a day. And I actually put it on for a bit today since my neck was kind of tired.

There's a lot that goes thru your mind before the surgery and a lot of the other folks on this forum will help answer questions too. They really helped me and I have continued to keep a positive attitude on my recovery.
  • It sounds like you are well on the road to your recovery. I'm always encouraged by others healing so well.
    On 08/08 I had c5-6 acdf w/the hardware. I don't think that my recovery is going as well. My Dr. told me that I must be patient.
    One thing that I will certainly miss is the thrill rides at the fair.
    I agree that everyone here is very helpful, kind & encouraging. It's been a great support for me.
    I am very happy for you! Be good & you'll continue to heal.

• :))( I am so glad everything went so great. I hope my appt. goes just as good on the 19, that will be 4 wks po for me. Instead of mud wrestling lets make mud pies like we all did when we where kids =))
  • Good to hear you are doing well 8 weeks post op. You mentioned it will be Jan (this is around Sept 1st) when another CAT scan is done to see how the fusion is doing.

Is that typical (or is there a typical?) time period it takes for a fusion to take hold? I'm looking at a 4 level discectomy/fusion C-3 thru C-7 with plates and screws. I see my surgeon again Sept 29th. I expect on that date I'll get all the details and pre-op instructions.

What I wonder about is how long recovery might take. I have type 2 diabetes under good control. Still, it takes longer for diabetics to recover. I wonder how long it will be before I can return to work. 4 months? 3 months? Longer?

Well, we're all individuals and it will vary. I work in a busy call center as a phone tech support rep. We constantly keyboard, mouse, talk on the phone. I was told my posture at the computer all these years contributed to my problem.

Anyway, I am happy to see you are doing well,Jeff! Keep us updated!

Ken GreyEagle
    Western Band Cherokee
    Greyeagle
  • I know how it is being on the phone and computer all day and a lot of my problem may have been posture related but who knows. I have been making conscious efforts to sit up and adjust my chair and such at my desk here at home. The big test will be this week when I go back to work.

As far as the CT Scan, I'm not sure if it is typical or not, but he did say it could take a few months to see how the fusion is going. I guess he generally waits up to the 6 month follow up to see and I'm sure if he thought there was a problem, he would have ordered the Scan earlier. We have talked and he said it could take up to a year to recover and even then I could have some numbness once in a while.

Yes, from what I've been reading on this forum, some people don't have any pain at all after surgery and they're fine...we're all different like you said.

I hope all goes well for you on your surgery, just keep asking your doctor questions. It was the best way for me to decide on the surgery as well.

• Glad you are on the road to excellent recovery.

Me too this week 8 week Post-Op. What a milestones. I will be back to work tomorrow.

Cheers !
    Kayano

• on your post-op checkup, Jeff! Doesn't it make it all worthwhile now that you had the surgery? It's 12 weeks for me this Friday and still quite happy I had it done.

Keep up with your recovery!

Monique
  • off to work tomorrow. 4:30 a.m. I'm sure will come early, I go in early to avoid the crazy Atlanta traffic. I just hope I can get up and back in the swing of things since I've been sleeping and reclining around for the past 9 weeks. LOL.

And I'm sure I'll have 1000 emails at least to go thru.

I'll sign in tomorrow and let you all know how things went.

Monique, yes, it was definitely worth it. How are you feeling?
  • Grey Eagle:

I think the recovery time depends on the surgeon and what was done. Also maybe the age and health of the patient before surgery.

I had a multi-level corpectomy (removed 3 discs/2 vertebrae) and fusion (C5-T1). I am in a hard collar for 3 months. I just had my 6 week check-up and things seem to be healing so far.

Bridget
advertisement