Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Frequency of Urination

tallguyttallguy Posts: 28
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
I am wondering if others have experiened issues with urination frequency. I swear I can't last more than an hour without going, and each time it's not that much, but it is enough to go, and other times its mroe than expected. Dribble also occurs.

I have been told that the muscles in my lower back are what is causing the problem.

I have a herniation in L5/S1, black whole, DDD, no surgery, pain is more localized but tolerable, about two years. The urination issues has become somewhat worse over the last year. I was diagnosed about 2 years ago with the problems as I constantly had numbness in my leg and then one day I couldnt even get out of bed... That was years ago, has not happend in about 7 months.

Anyway the urination issue is every day. I need to get up several times during the night sometimes. During the day, every hour or two, even if I do not drink much.

Any ideas? Any suggestions?
advertisement

Comments

• Some medications also effect urination. It was really difficult to go when I took Kadian and now I go alot more taking Zanaflex.
  • I'm not taking any medications.

I had a CT scan done when I was 20, they said their was some calcium deposits and that was it. I am now 32, figured I still have about 3 years before I need to do one. Had considered doing a blood test only for prostate cancer this year... but have not done it.. I figured the urination issue was coming from my lower back nerves...
  • Prostatitis is a common thing that can cause your symptoms, but you should see a urologist to confirm such a diagnosis.

With any disc herniation going on in the lumbar region, it seems plausible to me that a nerve related to the prostate or bladder could be being affected. Especially if you have a central herniation that displaces the thecal sac.

I also have frequency/ not entirely emptying complaints,
    but my urologist examined me and diagnosed me with a slightly enlarged prostate and is treating it with Levaquin antibiotic. If I ever resolve my L4/L5 bulge sciatica etc, it would be a nice bonus to not have to deal with this other bother. Good luck- see a urologist ASAP.
  • Yeah the issue with having someone stick their fingers in me is that I also have hemmoroids, but I guess it would give someone a chance to look at those too eh?! =))
  • Does Levaquin antibiotic have any side effects?

I have been reading up on Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) seems I have nearly all the sytmpoms except the pain. But the drugs I have been reading about have nasty side effects.. I did not see Levaquin as a drug used to treat this....
  • BPH is somewhat different than prostatitis, and treated with uroxatrol or flomax to shrink the gland. Most men get BPh by age 60, some earlier. Prostatitis is a swelling of the gland for reasons unknown usually. They figure it is like a urinary tract infection except in the prostate gland, so levaquin and other antibiotics are used to knock out the infection and have the swelling go down.
  • How long does one need to get treated for prostatitis? I am under 60, but after all the reading I have been doing, I have most of the symptoms. I hope this is not a life long issue to shrink it back down to size. A couple of weaks perhaps? And I have some cocerns now that I will will be misdiagnosed as I am not in the US, but rather in Asia, and sometimes they don't think about all the issues before making a decision.

Weak urinary stream
    Prolonged emptying of the bladder
    Abdominal straining
    Hesitancy
    Irregular need to urinate
    incomplete bladder emptying
  • Moderator please delete this double post. Thanks
  • Hey TallGuy-

I'm not sure what is causing your problem, but I had the same symptoms last year. Going every half hour, several times per night, etc. My Dr checked for an enlarged prostate, but that wasn't the case. I went to a urologist and he said it was prostatitis, which is an infection of the prostate. I took ciprofloxacin for a month and have been fine since.

I hope it is a simple as that for you.
  • I hope it is even simplier, glad your problem is better! Thanks for the advice.
  • Hi guys, went to the doc and they said I have an engarged prostate and maybe some prostatitis with it, but doesn't seem serious, but the medications they gave me.. Man.. I want to stop already. They don't make me feel all that wonderful.

Cefadroxil Monohydrate Anti-Biotic
    Mefenamic
    Tamsulosin
  • Moderator double post, please delete this. Thanks.
  • Tallguy,
    I'm happy to hear you went to the Dr. for this and it has turned out to be prostatitis.
    One of our closest friends was 52 and was diagnosed with stage IV prostate cancer. He was having difficulty urinating (his flow would stop and go on it's own mid stream) he had urgency to go often and it wasn't due to a full bladder. I'm happy to say that he had his prostate removed, had a few weeks of radiation treatment and is currently doing well. After all of what he went through, he has made it his duty to inform men 40+ to have their prostates checked and makes them aware of the signs and symptoms. He isn't completely cancer free but he is in remission and is enjoying life as best as he can.

Good luck to you, I hope you feel better soon. :)
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.