Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Breakthrough pain medications

William GarzaWilliam Garza TexasPosts: 2,234
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Pain Management
I dont know if its already been posted on byut here goes...
One of the other members was kind enough to tell me about "Avinza" morphine sulfate. are there any other meds you take or have done in the past to deal with this problem?
My specifications are not to be all fuzzy or dopey or drymouth or medicated beyond all reason!
yes there are trade offs for everything, but i am scholasticly active,and have 16 to 30 plus hour days(sleep probs are another issue)
I dont want or need to be over medicated, it is my hope there are meds out there to help the 8-9 pain spikes i get all day(and night sometimes[see 30 hour day] and at school)

I like being cognizant and cerebraly agile. I like to be able to think strait. My work demands critical thinking,and being fuzzy is not good.
So
any experience with B.T.Meds?
advertisement

Comments

• Your body has to get used to any new meds at first. I think after a month or so, you won't be so groggy and it will feel like you're taking a sugar pill. In other words, you won't feel it at all until your next dose and the levels go down.
    I take Fentanyl patches 50 mg every 2 days and don't have any side effects. As long as I put it on my belly, it works fine. I don't even feel when the levels drop because my doctor told me to put the new one on in the morning, and leave the old one one until bedtime and take it off then. That way I maintain a consistent level and my pain doesnt' go up while I'm waiting for the new patch to reach therapeutic levels. I was warned about that method here, but the doctor said that while the old patch level is declining, the new one is building up. That way, I won't be overdosed by jumping from 50 mg to 100 without titration.

I do take Norco for breakthru pain.
  • Has been great for me. I do not feel drugged or groggy or anything else. I did for about the first week or two and now it does not phase me.
  • :) many of these medications merely take time for the body to adjust and then the medications merely work on the pain, not on our brains!! you can still drive and should be able to do school work with no problem. give it a try and let your body adjust!! good luck and i hope you find something to work for you! Jenny :)
  • I am the member that informed you about the Avinza. It's a wonderful med that does work over a 24-36 hour period. That's why you don't get all fuzzy from it. I have been taking it for almost a year now and I find that when taken at the same time each day, there really aren't that many spikes in the pain. I do take the 15 mg Oxycodone for BT if needed, but right now, the pain is pretty much kept under control by the Avinza. Remember, I do take 360 mgs a day. I take 2 capsules in the AM and 1 in the PM. These are the 120 mg capsules. I have to tell you that I am a rather large person, tipping the scales at around 260 lbs. so most of what I take relates to my size. I have never yet been as pleased with any pain meds than I am now with the Avinza 120 mg and the Oxycodone 15 mg for Breakthrough. My Dr. just put me on every 3 months from every other month. I now have 2 months of scripts on me and I go back to see him in December. I really think that if you want something that lasts a long time, and won't knock you for a loop but at the same time, WORKS FOR YOU, Avinza is where it's at. You won't need alot of BT meds. I shouldn't say that, I should say that I don't need alot of BT meds. Everyone is different. Best of Luck Ranch!!
  • Ime having to wait to go to a PM for now, since ime having to go through the county system. I understand about the meds taking different times to act. I am 300 lbs and mibbleing in musculature so ya,sometimes i need to take extra than others half my size.
    Ive got most of my spine areas screwwy. neck thoracic and lumbar, so you know how it goes, if one hurts more than the others ya try to cope, when all conspire, ya lay down. ime going to try for the avinza and theyer going to do a sleep[ study, i can tell them why i dont sleep w/o them spending any money...it HURTs!
  • Methadone is another wonderful med for pain. Yes you don't feel woozy or fuzzy from that one either. Also the Fentanyl patches, another great Long Acting drug. I just feel that even with these wonderful pain meds that are long acting, we still need to have breathrough meds. I use mine in case I have a flare up or if I feel for some reason, the long acting med didn't take. That has happened to me before. I wonder if it's happened to anyone else? I have read stories about OxyContin getting hung up in the intestinal tract and not ever dispensing the dosage into the bloodstream. It can happen. When it does, it's kinda scary because you don't know whether or not to take another dose or just wait for it to start working and in rare instances, it never works. Anyway, I got caught up in that and I just wanted to say even with all of the great drugs out there, we need the Breakthrough meds too. You shouldn't have one without the other. Just my opinion. There will be many more Long Acting or Extended Release drugs coming out in the very near future. I know of two that will be out soon. One of them is a long acting Hydrocodone (Vicodin) and the other is a tamper proof Oxycodone gelcap called Remoxy. I am a very lucky person, my meds keep me out of pain. Some of you others, I know, only get mild relief from their meds. I hope that someday, with some luck too, you will get what I've been able to get, Pain relief with medication. It's just a matter of time.
  • but not the oxycodone. Is the oxycodone a ER version?

Over the summer my PM told me I would be a great candidate for the ER version on vicoden. But since then, she has told me the release date has been pushed back to fall. I wonder if it will be released by the time I have my next PM appt.

I take OxyContin right now and I have not heard of it getting stuck in someones throat...how awful But now that I think of it, it makes sense. There have been many times I feel like it is still sitting there. Now I should keep better track of it and see if thats when my apparent 'flare ups' were. Maybe it was just that my medicine could not be released and I didnt know?!?!

Well thats it, I thought I would just comment on your post and if there was an actual release date of those meds. Maybe it is different for each state?? Who knows.

Alina
  • It was getting stuck in the intestines with the outer shell was still intact according to what I've read. I guess the shell on the outside of the pill never broke apart. This can happen because of that semi hard shell that coats the OxyContin. The tamper proof OC gelcaps are slated to come out sometime next year as they are now going through the final testing phase. It is called Remoxy and will last for 12 hours. You can't tamper with the release of the medication. I was reading about this and I found it rather interesting the way they put this thin together. I was not aware of the ER hydrocodone coming out this soon. Thats fantastic.
advertisement