Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Oxycontin Vs MScontin

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Pain Medications
So, I got a hold of my GP today. She switched my medication from oxycodone 20mg 2x a day, to MScontin 15mg 2x a day. I wonder how big of a difference this is? :? I was also told that when I stop in the office to pick up the new RX, to drop off my remaining oxycodones...I am assuming this is normal as well because I am on a pain contract. I was also up front with her over the phone and told her I took a couple extra doses of oxycodone during the day the past week, and she didnt say anything. My main concern is, does MScontin work? Have any of you tried it before? Im tired of having a hard time walking. My legs feel like jello, and I have to leave my little girl in her bouncer most of the day because Im afraid I will drop her. :< My only concern with the MScontin is I hope it doesnt make me feel like a zombie, since I am a stay at home mom. @) Flexeril would do that to me, and I cant handle that feeling. I just have a feeling this pain is getting so bad, Im going to be on disability before Im 30. ~X(
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,706
    MominPain08

I really do not have any experience with MS Contin. But for the couple of years I was using Oxycontin, I had no problems and could function pretty much as normal.
    I pulled this information from a pharmaceutical web site.

MS Contin
    MS Contin is a time-released formulation of morphine,
    (Morphine Sulfate Controlled-Release) usually taken every twelve hours for chronic pain. It is the brand name for morphine sulfate marketed by Purdue Pharma.
    It is available in tablet and liquid formulas in doses of 15mg, 20mg, 30mg, 60mg, 100mg and 200mg. Due to its strength, it is typically prescribed to cancer patients and victims of severe but non-cognitive-damaging trauma.
    Like its relative cousin OxyContin, MS Contin has been the subject of pharmacy robberies. It is considered particularly dangerous to recreational drug users who are unaware that the time-release mechanism is a wax inside of the pill (not the colored coating on the outside) that, when heated, expands and encases the morphine sulfate. The danger presented to drug users who prefer intravenous/intramuscular injection is the wax
    MS Contin is a DEA Schedule II substance in the United States. Alternative formulations made and marketed by other pharmaceutical companies include King Pharmaceuticals Avinza and Alpharma Pharmaceuticals Kadian.

Oxycontin{/b]
    What is OxyContin?

Feedback for Oxycontin
    User Comments Avg User Rating
    34 Comments
    9.3 Rate it!

OxyContin is in a group of drugs called narcotic pain relievers. It is similar to morphine.

OxyContin is used to treat moderate to severe pain. The extended-release form of this medication is for around-the-clock treatment of pain. It is not for treating pain just after a surgery unless you were already taking it before the surgery.

OxyContin may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.
    What is the most important information I should know about OxyContin?
    OxyContin may be habit-forming and should be used only by the person it was prescribed for. OxyContin should never be given to another person, especially someone who has a history of drug abuse or addiction. Keep the medication in a secure place where others cannot get to it. Do not drink alcohol while you are taking OxyContin. Dangerous side effects or death can occur when alcohol is combined with a narcotic pain medicine. Check your food and medicine labels to be sure these products do not contain alcohol. Never take more than your prescribed dose of OxyContin. Tell your doctor if the medicine seems to stop working as well in relieving your pain. OxyContin can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be awake and alert. Do not stop using OxyContin suddenly, or you could have unpleasant withdrawal symptoms. Talk to your doctor about how to avoid withdrawal symptoms when stopping the medication.
    What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Oxycontin is stronger than MS Contin, so your MD lowered your opiate dose. Maybe that will help you be more alert. And Ive NEVER heard of turning old meds back in to the MD, as a RN or a patient!

• That is an odd request indeed, I would only do so if I witnessed the destruction of those meds otherwise what is the doc doing with them?

They are lowering your dose, probably weaning you off as they often do.
  • Good point! I wondered the same thing re: med disposal. I noticed you take freq oxycodone. Has your doc considered raising your ER meds & decreasing the short-acting one?
  • I have always been told by my PM to bring in remaining meds if they were switching my meds. Yes you pay for them and yes they really are yours, BUT there is that contract. They also have the responsiblity that you are not taking meds that they no longer want you to be taking. Usually when they switched me it was during the visit and they gave me the new RX and told me to bring in my remainder at the next visit since I lived 1.5 hrs away. I never took them back in. But YES it is in the contract so to speak. Plus they need to make sure you are NOT taking the meds they dont want you to take anymore. SO if she told you over the phone to bring them in you should otherwise they will NOT release the new RX.
    MS Contin NEVER EVER worked for me. And you saying that the IV solution of Morphine didn't help you in the ER then I am guessing these wont work also. All I can suggest is that you try them, wait a few days so they can get into your system and then call and let your doc know your pain status.
    With me it seems only the short acting have been effective for me. The Extended releases had so many different side effects for me. Either not working (I have a high Tolerance unfortunatly), I was up all night (that was usually the Methadone and the Oxycotin), crabby, no sex drive blah blah blah.
    But DO bring your meds that she is taking you off of in when you get your RX. And again wait a few days for the meds to get into your system before you call your doc with an update as to how they are working. If you are in that much pain then your doc should also prescribe something for BT pain.
    Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    MJ
  • You should read the pain contract,and see if it says anything about the dipsoal of the meds they want you to bring in...
  • MelissaJo.Your post makes perfect sense to me,but that just seems so condensending to me(lol)

"Plus they need to make sure you are NOT taking the meds they dont want you to take anymore"

I totally understand what you are saying here,but my gosh,they can't trust you that much!?Besides,I still think there ought to be some kind of law against having to give back what you already paid for.

My contract doesn't say anything like that,and if they ever ask me to bring my remainder in I would,but I would feel so indignant and humiliated.

I'm sorry MomInPain08
    :(
  • I totally agree with you! I had paid over 100 bucks for Kadian. (My insurance only covers part at the counter, then I mail in the receipt and they send me a check for 80% of the out of pocket expense.) BUT STILL I had to come up with the $ first hand. SOME PM docs are pretty laid back and dont care. But with so many people out there that keep taking the med that is no longer prescribed or they sell the meds that are no longer prescribed screw it up for the rest of us. Little do some people know that if you sell your meds, it is a mandatory 25yr prison sentance. I would NEVER sell my meds, but some people do. I just wish they would get caught and go to prison so WE dont have to suffer the punishment. I swear in the next few years our docs are gonna make it where we have to go to the pharmacy to get our daily doses. LOL
    I think if they want to take our unused portion of our meds back then they, the doc or pharmacy, should have to repay us for that portion. Another thing is that they could do a urine test a week AFTER they change our RX to be reassured that we are no longer taking the meds except for the new ones. I think it is stupid and honestly think it is just another way to "control" us.
    My old PM always wanted to unused portion. I dont bring my meds with me in the vehicle except for that daily dose. You never know who might break into your car or anything like that. I got pulled over once and had meds in my purse that were in an unmarked container. The cop seen it when I was getting my drivers license out and looked at me all shifty eyed. I gave him my pharmacys number and he called to make sure that those meds were prescribed to me. WE are all considered Guilty unless proven innocent. That is by our docs and everyone else out there. It is stupid.

Other people screw it up for the ones that take our meds that are prescribed and as prescribed. It is crazy rediculous I know! :< I hate the rules. When my PM was trying to find an ER med that would help with less side effects I asked her to only fill a week or 2, just incase they didn't help or side effects out weighed the benefit. That way when and if I had to bring them back to her, I wasn't loosing too much money. It all sucks and personally I think it is their way of having control on us. It is a bunch of bull but I also understand where they are coming from. Like I said earlier they should just do a random urine test and have you come in (without an apt), and give a sample. And if the meds that you are not supposed to be taking are still in your system then htey should "fire you". Then again I had a urine test done on the first visit and they charged my ins 1100 buck. WTF kind of UA did they do. My god. And of course since it was due to an illness my ins only covered 800 of it. JERKS. MAn with that expensive of a UA they should be able to tell me everything I have ever needed to know about myself! LOL
  • that any unused meds are to be returned if my RX is changed by my request. It does upset me because yes I paid for those meds, and Im not looking to "get high" but at the same time, I do have to follow the contract otherwise Im stuck in pain. Its not a big deal this time, because I only have 5 left of my old pills, and I talked to her nurse this morning and she said the reason they are starting me off on a low dose is because I have never taken the meds before and with opiates they need to start you off with the lowest dose when switching medications. She told me if they dont work, to let her know asap. The one thing that bothers me about that though is she wrote the rx for a month's worth, so if they dont work, theres $35 down the drain. I guess overall its the price I pay literally to get relief. :<
  • MomInPain~I'm confused by which med you're being taken off of...in the title to your post you stated OxyContin, but all throughout your post you said OxyCodone-depending on which one it is would be a whole different response from me as OxyContin is a long acting drug similar to the MS Contin, but the OxyCodone is an instant release med, like for breakthrough pain, and if you are taking it that often and have to stop abruptly even being put on the MS Contin, you will have withdrawal issues. I know-I get them every time I forget to take my OxyCodone (aka Percocet) and I take MS Contin too.

So could you clarify for me just which med it is you're referring to? If you don't mind, that is.. :)

Take care of you..
  • I would call and have them revise the RX, unless you have already filled it. I would ask them for a week to 2 week supply. When my PM doc changed my meds this is the way that we did it. It is sometimes more spendy that way, as far as price per pill, BUT if it doesn't work or she needs to change your dosage then she can write you a whole new RX for the changes and You ins. wont have issues with it.
  • Is it giving you better relief?
    I am curious as to the pain contract. You mentioned that you had signed one - doesnt going to the ER violate the terms of a pain contract? I signed one as well, but of course, Ididnt even know I was going to be presented with one so read through it rather quickly. But it has always popped in my head whether or not an ER visit violates the contract.

• I'm new to this forum as of today I remember how when I was hospitalized from a head on collision with a drunk driver and broke my femur (compound),patella(shattered),tibia(compound two different breaks)and broken fibula which that small one did'nt require surgery thank god even though the exterior of my right calf muscle mid shaft is tingly numb 95% of the timeover my right fibula area.I underwent 6 1/2 hrs of ortho surgery which anyone knows is painful as hell especially digging inside you for 6 1/2 hrs.I ended up needing a femur rod (titanium)a tibia rod,and a pins and wired kneecap and several pins at the tops and bottoms of the rods(pins aka screws).Now sorry for rambling on about my injury which has lead to severe undiagnosed lower back pain most likly from limping so much I have recently been wondering if I should get off short acting oxycodone 7.5 to a long term time releasing med such as oxycontin, mscontin or even a small dose of methadone for the pain cause I need to be a lot more honest with my doc and quit acting so tough (male ego I guess) and let him know that these meds im on,the percocet is not helping my joint, femur bone in my right leg and the pain that has developed in my lower back since I returned to normal actividies about three years ago.Now back to the topic posted I remember when I was hospitalized at the trauma center I was given after surgery first few days diluadid and then they gave me 2 percocets or a high dose of morphine shots and I always chose the morphine cause it hits you faster but the nurses said that the 2 percocet pills would last longer for pain.Well eventually I tried using their advice and it did take longer to kick in for the pain cause it was in pill form but they were right morphine doesn't last as long, but I was told even through my doc now it depends on the person.I hope by now you are on a path where you have your meds working for you and making the pain tolerable enough to feel 50% normal.I hope the best for you and I know that chronic pain is mentally as well MAINLY physically horrible for someone who has it and it hard for your family and loved ones to understand until they talk to your doc or become a nurse. Since before my injury which is nothing compared to some of you all I have a pain tolerance that is very high and I went 5 months without opiates for pain but the other meds didn't work at all and gave me stomach olcer so later down the road I changed docs and went under a pain management contract as well.I wish I kept my copy of my contract it is lost somewhere in my house and I remember most of the stuff like rules which pretty much are very understandable but I cant remember if when switching rx's you are supposed to bring your remainder of pills in before recieving the new paper script but I think thats reasonable if you do it halfway before your next appt.BTW does anyone remember that on your pm contracts that what it said about driving and getting a possible DUI from your meds which if you need them for pain for real you don't usually receive the drowsiness effect due to your body's receptors soaking up the meds for moderate to sever pain,so if anyone knows the drill about driving let me know pls.Also hope everone here is feeling halfway decent pain wise at least running on level 4-5 on the pain scale cause as we all know somedays we can run 7-9's that know meds even help and you just have to deal with it which sux.Thanks Chris
  • I too have one and there is nothing about returning unused meds. About the ER question, I have to notify staff that I'm a pain mgt patient at the hospital. They will contact the PM doc and get my info and "permission" to give me pain meds if needed. The only thing is that you are not allowed to accept a pain pill RX from anyone except pain mgt.

• I looked mine over again.Nothing is in there about bringing in remaining meds if I request a change or not.Mine sounds like yours meydey..also it does mention randam UA's during visits (I've had 2 & this begins my 15th month).I have to let them know 5-7 days before I need a refill if I'm running short before an appt.(I go every 3 months now),I can only use the one pharmacy and of course I cannot accept pain medications from another Dr.-I don't have an issue with any of these rules,but I will admit that I was indignant the first time they ask for a urine sample.Not because I had anything to hide,but it felt weird,like I wasn't trustworthy.I felt humiliated.

Chris-Welcome to S~H :H .You would likely get more replies if you posted your story in another topic/thread..not that this isn't ok,but it's an older one.Ouch,your surgeries sound painful-I've had 7 on my feet with pins/rods/screws and I know that was painful healing EACH time.I still have the rod in my left heel,but the one in my right had to be removed as it was billing out a couple years after the last op on that foot... :/

• my pain contract stated unused meds when going to another script are to be brought in and they dispose of them.
    and like others the only people that can RX meds in a emergency is the E.R. or hospital...
    plus perodic urinary testing.
    when i went in 07 from jan-aug not one test was done.
    but it could of happened...

boy robin i want to move where you are lol ;)
    i would love to only go every 3 months. thats a no go here even though the office is a hour away.
    and you only get enough for the 30 days uggh.

also they perscibe no breakthrough meds.
    so it just peaks my curiosity that why 1 pain dr can give a long acting med and a short acting med.
    the other only long acting meds :? :? :?
    i will never ever understand that one.
    if you can rx meds you should be able to do them all.

so please everyone feel very lucky if thats the word i want to use that if your dr keeps you on example: the patch and say percocet for breakthrough, don't ever leave that practice... ;)

CHRIS sorry for all you have gone through!!
    glad you joined and yes i will try to find your story in another thread.....
    we will get you through your good and bad days...
  • Chris, I feel for you. That's a lot to go through. I hope you have better days ahead and a break from all the pain. As far as your DUI question, if you get charged with DUI, the pain clinic will drop you. They want no liabilities at all. They will find out if it happens. It's another responsibility bestowed upon us ans we have to be extra careful behind the wheel.
    Robin, I felt weird about the UA too because I never been screened before. They told me it's done randomly once a year. It's not too big of a deal, I can pee on command :))(

Terri, I don't understand that reasoning behind no breakthru meds. The doctor should know that it takes 14 days (from what I read on another thread) for serum levels to reach therapeutic levels when starting Fentanyl patches. Believe me I am grateful to have my BT meds. It takes 17 hours average for the levels in the replaced patch to build (according to the information leaflet in the box). I believe that one medication is not enough and you need a compliment of different class meds to give you overall better pain relief (EX: long acting, short acting, muscle relaxer, anti inflammatory, anti depressant, etc)
  • They seem to screen every 5 months at my PM..I KNOW now,like it matters though you know~I mean,I GET my meds there-what would I have to cover up :/

Terri~I do realize how fortunate I am...but I didn't always go in every 3 months,my Dr just started this not long ago.I use to go in every month,but it's only 20 minutes away,so again,lucky for me there too.Also-he gives me a script with 2 refills so I only have to go in for appts.I was just in last week,but I'm going in on the 19th for a trigger point injection too.I've had ESI's,and no success with those in my neck,but I have never had the trigger point injections.We're not doing it every week as I've heard some people mention-he said this is once every 3 mos.,and only then if they work-and I get the final word.

At this point I wouldn't know how I would react if my Dr told me that he was leaving and going to another PM center/hospital.I think I would cry.I've been seeing him since Nov 07...lol,it sounds long now that we're in a new year...but seriously,it takes time to build a trust and relationship like this.Not to mention the fact that I truly like him as a person.

I can pee on demand too meydey..last time I overflowed the lil cup :))(
  • the PM I was seeing up until 3 months ago...I asked to be weaned from my patches b/c my cerv DDD wasn't quite as bad and I wanted to try off. Well, I did ok for a month off (well not great...felt I needed them back, so asked to back on at low dose). She put me on 25's. I called about 5 days later and said they were too strong for me (I thought that was a great sign!)...so they wrote a Rx for the lowest dose (12's) and said to bring in the unused 25's at next appt to count and waste. It got to me too...I mean I was asking for a lower dose and we had a great relationship. What in the world would I do with the extra 8 patches? Like I'd sell them? Needless to say, they are still in my med cabinet and I never went back b/c I didn't feel trusted and that was the appt (wehn I got the 25's) that I was referred to the psych to talk about my pain. I felt humiliatied...but maybe it wasn't a bad idea to have someone understand you...that's why I come here.

I hope you feel better...I know how you feel about the little one...I have 5 to keep up with and feel horrible sometimes for not being as active as I should at my age.
  • It is normal to have to bring in unused meds when being changed to a different medicine.

This is part of your contract you agreed to. This is done to prevent you from selling or taking the unused medicine. It is not a display of mistrust to you but eliminating problems from the DEA by following strict guidelines for prescribing a controlled substance.

I have had to bring in unused meds every time I was put on a different med.

In addition to that, I am currently seeing a pain manag. clinic where I have to submit to a urine test and a pill count every time I see my doctor ( once or twice a month). This is simply done to cover their backs.

I also take MS Contin 15mg every 12 hrs and it is not strong enough. I have to take 2 of them at once and then I only get the benifet once a day.

Keep in mind the withdrawls you are certain to get if you ever have to stop or even reduce your level of meds. They absolutely suck.
  • I take ms contin. I started at 30mg once a day. A few days later I went back to my Dr. and told her I had so much pain when I woke up I was screaming. She increased the ms contin to 30mg 2x day. After one month I told her the pills only last 4-6 hours and I can't take it the pain is unbearable. She then changed the meds to 30mg 4xday. The PM Dr. told me to take 60mg in the morning and 30mg at bedtime or the other 30 if needed. I'm able to stretch my ms contin so it lasts 6 weeks for the 120 prescribed to me. I told her at first I took percocet for breakthrough pain that I had leftover from my ER visit while she was on vacation after getting my MRI results and she said that was fine. Where I live there is no pain contract to sign. My Primary Dr. of 19 years gives me the meds. I asked to try a fentanyl patch but she refused. The ms contin made me a little sleepy at first but now I feel alert and normal. So I take 90-120mg a day. It depends on the flare up times. Keep in close contact with the Nurse you may need your meds increased. I hope it works for you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I know that this is an old discussion but I'm sure that it's still an issue with new members on here as well as some who may not have read this.

I found this discussion while looking for other's experience with weaning off mscontin (which is another topic for another discussion) and felt the need to reply.

We've recently read in the newspapers on seen on tv that we should not be disposing medications by flushing them down the toilet or throwing them away as they may get into the water system. Now certain doctor's offices, pharmacies or hospitals have certain unused medication disposal drop offs.

Because I have my own young children in the house and at any given time they may have several friends at my house I do not like to keep prescription meds around especially the narcotics and other stronger ones. My docs have had to experiment with different medications for my depression, anxiety and chronic pain quite frequently. When I'm given a different medication to try, I give them the medication they are taking me off.

In my pain mgmt contract it stated they can do a random pill count or drug test at anytime so I always make sure to take my prescriptions with me for each monthly visit. If I'm given something new and stopping a med I have extras of I hand them over to them and they assure they will destroy the label on the bottle as well as the meds.

I just don't want to have that responsibility of having those types of medications at my home plus there is no need for me to have them anyway if I'm not going to take them. I've had to pay cash for some of meds at times and some of them were over $300.00.

If you have any questions about disposing your medications you should contact your doctor that prescribing them.
  • Well, I went to give my pain mgmt doc the remainder of my msContin as I didn't want to have them in the house. She's taken all my extra meds before and took care of them. She handed them back to me and said it's ok to flush them down the toilet. I told her about the newspaper and television news saying that it's unsafe to do this and she said now they are saying it's ok to flush them.

I'm not sure if I trust that or not. I only had 6 tablets so I did flush them but I don't plan to make a habit of it.

• http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/BuyingUsingMedicineSafely/EnsuringSafeUseofMedicine/SafeDisposalofMedicines/ucm186187.htm
    Disposal by Flushing of Certain Unused Medicines: What You Should Know

* Overview
    * Frequently Asked Questions
    * List of Medicines Recommended for Disposal by Flushing

Medicines play an important role in treating certain conditions and diseases, but they must be taken with care. Unused portions of these medicines must be disposed of properly to avoid harm. Almost all medicines can be thrown away in the household trash after mixing them with some unpalatable substance (e.g., coffee grounds) and sealing them in a container.

However, certain medicines may be especially harmful and, in some cases, fatal in a single dose if they are used by someone other than the person the medicine was prescribed for. For this reason, a few medicines have special disposal directions that indicate they should be flushed down the sink or toilet after the medicine is no longer needed. If you dispose of these medicines down the sink or toilet, they cannot be accidently used by children, pets, or anybody else.

~~snip~~

MEDICINES RECOMMENDED FOR DISPOSAL BY FLUSHING

This list from FDA tells you what unused or expired medicines you should flush down the sink or toilet to help prevent danger to people and pets in the home. Flushing these medicines will get rid of them right away and help keep your family and pets safe.

FDA continually evaluates medicines for safety risks and will update the list as needed.

Medicine - Active Ingredient
    Actiq, oral transmucosal lozenge * - Fentanyl Citrate
    Avinza, capsules (extended release) - Morphine Sulfate
    Daytrana, transdermal patch system - Methylphenidate
    Demerol, tablets * - Meperidine Hydrochloride
    Demerol, oral solution * - Meperidine Hydrochloride
    Diastat/Diastat AcuDial, rectal gel - Diazepam
    Dilaudid, tablets * - Hydromorphone Hydrochloride
    Dilaudid, oral liquid * - Hydromorphone Hydrochloride
    Dolophine Hydrochloride, tablets * - Methadone Hydrochloride
    Duragesic, patch (extended release) * - Fentanyl
    Embeda, capsules (extended release) - Morphine Sulfate; Naltrexone Hydrochloride
    Exalgo, tablets (extended release) - Hydromorphone Hydrochloride
    Fentora, tablets (buccal) - Fentanyl Citrate
    Kadian, capsules (extended release) - Morphine Sulfate
    Methadone Hydrochloride, oral solution * - Methadone Hydrochloride
    Methadose, tablets * - Methadone Hydrochloride
    Morphine Sulfate, tablets (immediate release) - * Morphine Sulfate
    Morphine Sulfate, oral solution * - Morphine Sulfate
    MS Contin, tablets (extended release) * - Morphine Sulfate
    Onsolis, soluble film (buccal) - Fentanyl Citrate
    Opana, tablets (immediate release) - Oxymorphone Hydrochloride
    Opana ER, tablets (extended release) - Oxymorphone Hydrochloride
    Oramorph SR, tablets (sustained release) - Morphine Sulfate
    Oxycontin, tablets (extended release) * - Oxycodone Hydrochloride
    Percocet, tablets * - Acetaminophen; Oxycodone Hydrochloride
    Percodan, tablets * - Aspirin; Oxycodone Hydrochloride
    Xyrem, oral solution - Sodium Oxybate

*These medicines have generic versions available or are only available in generic formulations.

List revised: March 2010
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,346
    Why is everyone SHOUTING? (Everything is bold).... Having been on both I can tell you that the MScontin is no where as potent as Oxycontin. (or for that matter oxycodone). They will always start you on the lowest doseage and wait for you to voice concern about the pain before they will raise the mgs. 15mg BID is a low dose but thats where they will start.

For some reason the potential for abuse of Oxy is much greater than MScontin. When I was on Oxy it did get out of control. I have not had that problem yet with MSContin and I have been on it for over a year. I have had my dosage increased from 15mg to 30mg now 60mg BID (twice a day).

Good luck and control over your pain and medications!

Regards,

D
    Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• Why is Dr. giving meds for all the other stuff and not for pain? They act as if it comes from their private stash. If a some one has pain and a Dr. has taken an oath to help not giving meds for pain goes against their oath? They want to give depression meds that really do turn some into a zombie. I have researched some of the new stuff they are giving, unless they are getting paid by the drug companies why would any one write a prescription for some of these meds. They send all to a Pain Doctor for pain management, what a laugh, they get paid big bucks and help very little. If they had to go through the hoops they make regular folk they could never do it. They have no compassion. Some thing needs to be done about are great Doctors!
  • Keep looking for a Dr. to help you. Maybe a pain clinic in a hospital would help you and never give up looking.I know there are Drs out there to help but it's hard to find them. I'm glad my Family Dr. gives my meds and it was easier for me to have known my Dr. for 20 years. I hope you get some pain relief soon. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • You did pay for that script.Not them.You are responsible enough to dispose of them...that is ridiculous!

*sorry :|

Edited by self to close /strong

BTW, it is illegal to dispense of controlled substances to *ANYONE* other than who the RX was written for, but you can walk into your Drs office and dispense of your unused meds in front of him. You can also refuse to do this at the risk of losing your PMD. You can also choose to take your medications and wait until you are ready for a refill before you switch medications. Patients have choices, we need not always be the victim simply because of our pain.
  • First, I was on 100MG MSContin for about a year and my pain level was never really managed well. In fact, I would often times find myself getting no relief from it. This is not to frighten you as everyone is different, everyone's pain is different and MSContin may be a life saver for you, I hope it is. It just wasn't there for me.

So in essence, nobody can truly tell you how you will react to it. If your Dr wants you on it, all you can do is what the Dr ordered.

As far as turning meds in... I would question this up, down, and all over the place. My Dr has changed meds plenty and I have had leftovers from the previous med and not once has he ever asked me to turn them in. He just tells me to stop taking my current meds when we go to a new one.

I am baffled by this request. Also, you say you "got a hold" of your GP. Does this mean over the phone? If it does, I would question that as well and would schedule an office visit to discuss A)the reduction in pain meds and B)the reason for turning them in.

Disclaimer: That is me and my opinion. You and your Dr know what is best for you and please do not infer anything I said as what YOU should do. I was sharing what I would do only and you can only decide what is best for you.

Thank You!
advertisement