Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I know its been a while

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Since I have posted anything and for that I apologize. I have been going to physical therapy which I really don't know if it is helping or not yet. I still have numbness and tongling off and on as well as some other feelings I really can't explain that comes and goes. Those feelings almost start out like an itch or even a burning sensation on both of my feet as well as my hands. The headaches still continue and I told my therapist that today and I also told her what my doctor told me about the headaches being caused by my neck brace. She had me explain to her the headaches. I said well when I get up in the mornings I remove my brace as my doctor said I could. The about 2 hours later the headaches start around the C 6 area. She said that to her it sounds like occipital headaches. Lets see what else has been going on oh yeah I had a houseful from around sunday to yesterday. My parents were under a mandatory evacuation order because of Hurricane Gustav. Thank goodness it didn't affect them at all. Anyways y'all thats about it on my end. I hope that you all are doing well. take care and God bless you all!!! >:D<
advertisement

Comments

• Terri, sorry you aren't feeling too well. You have been thru so much. I am sure it wasn't easy on you to have guests from out of town this weekend having had surgery recently. Be good to yourself, and take it easy!--Mazy :)))
  • I too start physical therapy tomorrow. 2 days per week 1 hour! That sounds nuts I don't know yet what is involved as I have never been through anything of the sort. What do they do? Or make you do? I too get headaches that do not go away. I had my 4 week post op today & didn't even ask about them, my bad. Tell me, is the PT helping? Does it hurt?

I am happy to hear that your family is ok. What an ordeal that must have been. I hope they took care of you. I know I wish I caould have my Mom right now.
    I was told today that the numbness tingling feeling that I stll have could take up to 1 1/2 years to go away, if ever.
    Other than the tingling that you have everything else ok? I know we both went through this about the same time but if I remeber you had a 2 level fusion right? Are you still in pain?
    I apologize for all of the ?s I am just curious as to how others are coping & recovering.
    Please know that I am thinking of you & wish you well.
    Kim
  • I have been through a lot this year(2008 has really sucked for me and all of my family this year!!!). I am trying so hard to be good, but this last weel has been a real trying period and I haven't been good at all. :|
  • So far consists of just some light stretching(my therapists moves my neck in some stretches), moist heat/mild electrical stimulation, and massages.(Oh my gosh the heat, electricity, and massaging feel fanfreakintastic!!!!! It is still way to soon to know if any of this is helping at all yet.My doctor wanted me to every other day for 30 days of therapy, but that just isnt feesible right now so I go twice a week. As for relatives taking care of me no that didnt happen. My daddy is a disabled special needs person(he is on oxygen 24/7, using a walker, and a wheelchair,and a diabetic, and my mama isnt in that great of shape herself. Needless to say I helped him alot so my mama could get a little more rest herself.)
    Yes I had C 3/4 and C 5/6 fused. I go back to my doctor on the 17th right after I have xrays to see how things are going. Even sitting here at the computer for more than a few minutes I start burning and hurting in through my neck, shoulders, and around the C 6 mark so I dont know whats going on anymore. heck my job is literally sitting at a computer for 8+ hours a day. Yes it has been six weeks since my surgery, but I cant even imagine going back to work yet and if that makes me a big ole weenie then I guess thats what I am gonna be. Kim dont ever apologize for asking questions heck thats the only way we learn or know what to expect from things!! :)))
  • Hi Terri, Lately I haven't been here much either, but I couldn't help but respond. I know all too well how you are feeling. At 6 weeks I still had lots of pain and was going back to work at a desk job...yikes! Fortunately I was given modified hours (only 3-4 hrs/day) and I was allowed to work from home, which was great since I still couldn't handle being in a car from the pain. I am now 1 1/2 years post-op ACDF and it is truly a world of difference. My recovery was very slow, but I got there. I now have days where I don't even think about my neck. At times I never believed that would happen. I urge you to continue with your PT and begin an exercise program (yoga & pilates are excellent) as soon as your doc gives you the okay. I didn't begin doing pilates & yoga until I was 6 months post-op.

It will come; it will get better; be patient; be strong! I certainly had my share of tears along the way, but keep going and you'll get there. It's not a race, so don't worry about how long it takes.

I am curious about your comment with the pain/burning/itching in your feet and hands. I'm wondering if it's similar to what I've experienced. Sometimes my hands and thighs will swell, turn red and itch like crazy. It's a burning/itchy feeling. This seems to happen with rapid temperature changes from cold to hot. I haven't quite figured out why or when, but its definitely something new that I didn't have prior to surgery.

One more thing....I too had a recent surgery for the removal of an ovary. July 19th my doc removed a 13cm ovarian cyst, ovary and falopian tub. Three days before surgery the ultrasound showed an 8cm cyst, so it must have been partially hiding in there. Six weeks later and I'm just now feeling better from that surgery, but still having some mild abdominal pain. This has been a rough ride and I really missed exercising. I finally got back to a regular exercise routine this week... except for those brutal crunches...they're still a bit difficult yet. But....ahhh...feels so much better streching those muscles and making them work.

Well...my short note has turned out to be rather long.

Take care!!
    Patricia
  • Well when I feel the burning/itching feeling my feet and hands do not turn red or swell. With these weird sensations they just show up on their own whether I am outside or inside or even laying in bed. Thats the only way I can describe that feeling is almost like a burn or even an itchy feeling. I guess I'll ask my doctor when I go back on the 17th and I'll let ya know what he says. As for my job there is no way I can even do reduced hours there with the company its all or nothing and working from home is out of the question too with them. I talked to some friends I work with yesterday after my pt session, and things are going to h*ll and a handbasket up there. From what I gathered there may not even be a company for me to go back to. (I guess now would be a good idea for me to check into some home courses for things like medical coding/billing huh?) I'm not doubting my surgery or anything like that believe me its just since January 17th of this year lets just put it this way my entire family and I have had our fair share of heartaches and pain to last a lifetime and my recent surgery was just icing on the cake.(I guess all of that is really catching up to me now.) So, I am sorry if it seems like I am doubting the surgery because believe me if need be I would do it again. Like you I too had a cyst on my ovary sorry but I forget how big they said it was, but once in a while I still feel like I have an ovary there because it hurts in that same spot sometimes, but its nothing that an ibuprofen or 2 won't help.
  • Let me know what your doc says about that. Sounds like its different than what I have.

The work situation doesn't sound good. Like you said...maybe it's time to look at other opportunities.

No matter how you look at it, whether you wanted it or not, whether it was successful or not, surgery is stressful. So I can't even imagine how it hard it was for you and your family to have one more thing to worry about. I hope that you continue to get better and start seeing improvements that give you some sense of relief. Little successes help a lot.

Take care and I'll try to pop in more often.
advertisement