Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chiropractic manipulation

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Lower Back Pain
Four months ago I was diagnosed with a bulging of L5-S1 and other problems due to this as far as I can read in my MRI. A neurosurgeon has been treating me since then, although he did say that if in three months time my problem didn't get better he would perform surgery. I was doing very well with Neurontin and Meloxicam until I was taken off of the Meloxicam three weeks ago. Since then I have had the pain running down my leg again and at times in my lower back. A chiroprater and physiotherapist was recommended to me by a friend and in my desire to improve without surgery I went to see him yesterday. I had my first session but was thinking that maybe the forceful jerking of that type of treatment was not the right thing for a 65 year old woman. I survived it yesterday but am supposed to have another session tomorrow, although I am having second thoughts about it. :SS

Any advice on this I would deeply appreciated.

Mary
advertisement

Comments

• If you go to the alternate treaments section there is some threads on chiropractors there..
  • Thank you Bigcat, I'll go take a look at alternate treatments.

Thank you Paul, I will definitely put off that session tomorrow and read through the link. It is comforting to know there is someone on the other side of the PM. :)
  • Please be very careful with chiros. In my initial stages of back pain I went to a chiro that my doc recommended and he did actually help. Then I moved away and went to another that made my pain sooooo much worse. I agree with Paul in that you should see doc before continuing with chiro. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • Thank you for the recommendation, painintheback. I am grateful to have found this site and those of you that warned me about visiting a chiro without the Dr's consent. I have been reading the information about sciatic pain and it has answered quite a few questions. There are days that the pain seems to be worse than others and I just wonder if I overdo things or it is just the way this is.

I had been wearing a corsette with stays in it that seemed to help but I was also told that it is not good to depend on it because it weakens the ab muscles. I have also been reading about the different exercises for this condition since I had been doing pilates for over four years and have now stopped fearing my condition would get worse. Now I only use my treadmill 3 times a week.
  • i used to go to chiro for years, and i got much help from them (at the time)it was the only way for me to get some relief from my pain, its been over a year since i have been to one, i will even say i was addicted to my chiro,but... now i would not could not handle the manipulations,, is that the word i mean doesn.t sound right my doc's have told me to stay away from them because of my issues, but i do believe they can help many other people, i have to wear a brace when i ride in a car or try and take a walk outside. so i could not let my chiro adjust my neck for sure,
  • Yes I can see how one could get addicted to the temporary relief of a chiropractic session but I am also still feeling a sore neck, Patsy. You say you wear a brace when walking and driving. I'm really not familiar with the difference of a brace and a support with stays, which is what I wear and was told by this chiropracter not to wear it all of the time. It gives me a sense of security with my active life and I think also helps the pain. The last time I went to my neuro when I was feeling much better he told me not wear it all the time because he felt it was constricting the circulation in my left leg.

Another question I have is that I see a lot of you have information on your signature line, I see similar information on my MIR, would that be a useful source?

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.