Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

new to dilaudid

JWMJJWM Posts: 291
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Pain Medications
I just switched from 120 Norcos (10/325) a month to 120 4mg dilaudid; I wanted to get rid of all the tylenol I was taking every day and that was the appropriate change I suppose. My question is, I suppose, for anyone who has taken both vicodin/norco and dilaudid; is there anything I should know about it, vs norco? I haven't taken one yet for BT but got pretty minimal guidelines from my PM and pharmacist, I know someone here will have something to say. Experiences good or bad, please share, I just want to get a sense of how to treat this new medicine vs norco.

JWM
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi! i have taken Dilaudid and was very satisified with it. =D> it is a short acting medication and found that to be the only drawback. :W there is a big up and down curve. i think you will find it a bit stronger than the Norco. can i ask why you aren't on something time released? it is so much better in controlling pain than the short acting meds. anyway, i hope it works for your pain! Jenny :)
  • hey JWM,

To tell you the truth, I was on Norco for about 2 weeks before I realized that it was what was making me violently ill, but I still feel I can make a comparison to the dilaudid. I took 2 mg of Dilaudid and it worked pretty well, with no bad side effects besides ringing in my ears (I get that with opiates, it's terrible). I'd say give it a shot since putting all that Tylenol in your system isn't the best for you. :)))
  • Thank you all for your responses, it's amazing how sometimes relatively 'basic' information like that is hard to find on the internet. Traditional 'side effects may include' stuff is so boring! I had some liver problems a while back and the repeated daily dosing of a 'fair' amount of tylenol brought it back, so this is a good thing that I'm off the Norco I hope. Plus I pay cash and dilaudid is 1/2 the price! I had no idea.

Jenny/Lulusheart I am on a fairly strong long acting med as well; this is for as needed/breakthrough. Unfortunately I still have a lot of days where my pain fluctuates quite a bit. Don't know what I'd do without my PM right now!

Thanks everyone~

JWM
  • I, too, am on 120 10/325 per month but never really thought of the effect on my liver.
    Let me know how it goes for you, if you dont mind. I'd be interested as to what the comparison is like.

Thanks.

Alina
  • The no-tylenol thing alone is working nicely for me. The dilaudid is a bit stronger I believe, so i don't fee like I have to take them as much. (this is a really really good thing!) I get a little bit more absent minded or groggy with the dilaudid, but at the same time, my sleep has improved and that is saving me from a vacation in a padded room!
  • i'm not much up on some of theses meds but i do know the last few times i was in the hospital,they gave it to me,and wow it did wonders,i got it in a shot, the first time i remember asking nurse,,what was that? because i had never gone from severe pain to no pain so fast in my life. when i asked the nurse if i would be able to get a script from doc to take home she said no this is only used in the hosp. this was a long time ago but i can still remember hurting so bad my body was shaking from inside out in pain, ok enough with all that
    its good thing you can get away from to much Tylenol..
    maybe now things will just keep getting better and better,
    gotta tell ya.. every time i see your picture (by the way is a nice one)(I think --peek-a--boo)

Patsy
  • glad you are getting relief!!
    i of course wish it could be in IV form or shot form at home but hey we cannot ask for it all :S

i was wondering has surgery ever been a option in seeing if it would control the pain and issues going on in your spine
    ?

only because i have heard from people on here and my dr talking to other patients in his office that stenosis can be very painful and i have over heard him mention surgery to alot of his patients.

just being nosey!! :?? :?? hope you do not mind.

take care
    terri >:D<

• JWM sounds great, i get the 120 x 10/325 Norcos and never really heard much about this med before.Being diabetic I got keep my liver in good shape, keep us posted if you can.

• I don't want to inspire a bunch of people to go trying to switch their meds, I only wanted to know about those who had already experienced both.. Frustrated101 being diabetic your Dr. must have considered this in the first place so you should be fine; don't go changing something that works because of this post! There are other reasons for the change that were only discussed between my doctor and I, and it will remain that way. Don't think you need to change~

Terri, as far as surgery, I am 100% a candidate, however, I do not have insurance right now and as such cannot go through with any procedures right now. The ESIs were enough ($), and just so did NOT work, that I'm honestly kind of comfortable living life and balancing between pain and pleasure with the help of medication. I got it to a point that between Dr. visits, and meds, it costs me a total of $170 a month, and that's including extended release pain, breakthrough, muscle relaxant, anxiety, sleep, BP, and all with no insurance cash only! I can totally live with that.

I'm still adjusting to the new meds, and found that they provide similar pain relief to norco but I can't 'feel' when they are acting, I just quietly notice the pain go away. In a week or so, I'll post my final verdict.
  • My only experience with daludid was also in IV form in hospital. It was after surgery and after one day was sent home with 7.5 Hydro. WHAT a change. It amazes me what docs think we should go through....
  • Thank you so much for responding. I figured it was because of insurance reasons etc.
    I remember all to well never having insurance when my I had my first 2 children. Oh me Oh my is all I can say. So I totally relate!!! ;)

Hopefully the new med keeps you semi comfy for awhile!!!!
    I wish ya the best of luck with it.

I surely know that is what Im looking forward to next week when I go in for surgery. The so well loved dilidud.Love the invention of a pain controlled pump instead of waiting for a dose every 4 hrs!! :D
    Makes the first few days so bearable. ;)

Take care!!
    >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • An excellent breakthrough med. I was taking it, only I was taking the 8 mg. tabs for about 3 months and then I decided to talk to my Dr. about switching back to the Oxycodone. I had a serious flare up and the pain was not being controlled with what I was taking at that time(15 mg Oxycodone)so while in the ER one day, the ER Physician called my Dr. and I ended up with the 8 mg Dilaudid to take home with me. All the while, I was hooked up to the Dilauded IV. The problem I was having with the hydromorphone was that it did make me a bit sleepy and sometimes I would hallucinate. That being said, I told the Dr. this and he got me back on the Oxy but had to put me on the Oxy 30 mg tabs as that was closer in strength to the 8 mg. Dilaudid or Hydromorphone. I was on the 30 mg Oxy for about 3 months and then asked to be put on the Oxy 15 mg. and that's where I am today. I must tell you that the Dilaudid is a much stronger med than the Oxy but like Morphine, it works on different receptors and therefore has a much different effect on individuals. If I was not an active person and somewhat confined to my home or even my bed, I would prefer the Dilaudid for it's slowing effect. I remember the Dr. telling me when he prescribed the Hydromorphone 8 mg tabs to take two every 3-4 hours until I started feeling better. That was 16 mgs 4 -6 times a day. Heck, no wonder I was hallucinating. Anyway, the Dilaudid is very good BT med.
  • So I just wanted to hit this topic one last time. Switching to dilaudid was a good move for me, coming from Norco(vicodin~). I was at 120 10/325's a month, and had past liver problems that were showing up again on my labs. The labs aren't in on my improvements yet, but I can say with certainty that I am happy with the switch. To me, it is a much more 'liveable' narcotic pain med for breakthrough. It doesn't get me loopy at all like the norco did, and being a little stronger, and even lasting an hour or so more than the norco, really helps. My head is clearer, and I'm happy.

Your mileage will vary, but if your doctor and you decide to make the switch (especially you frustrated, being diabetic) I'd say at the right dosage you'll probably not be let down.

At some point I might ask for the stronger dosage but with less quantity, i.e. 75 instead of 120 or something.. but that's just due to the intensity, and (finally!) decreased frequency of my breakthrough pain.

Case closed for me.

Goodnight~

JWM
advertisement