Well, it's back to the PM for my 2nd round of ESI's tomorrow (L5-S1). First round gave me ~2 weeks of "relief" (not sure if that's the right word), but afterward there was a noticable descent. Saw the PM last week and he felt another ESI was the right way to go. My cousin (back East) is a interventionist PM Doc as well, and she recommended a facet injection and prolotherapy. The PM here doesn't do prolo, and wanted to wait on the facet injection.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one, as I'm DESPERATELY tryhing to avoid surgery (school schedule, career issues, family, etc). Unfortunately, my last visit to the Neurologist was less than promising. He'd done an Verified that the right side L5-S1 is significantly compressed, and advised that I should look at getting a surgical opinion (which I already have). I asked: 1) if this was a function of the disc or the vertebral slippage (L5 itself), and he advised that it was the disc (same level I herniated last year, albeit on the OTHER side), and 2) that this was not going to resolve on its own.
I'm pretty thoroughly frustrated, as I did EVERYTHING right after my last micro-d. Not only do I want to avoid another surgery, but the NS seems fixated on a fusion. Cognitively I know that it's only a matter of time before I have to give in, but the long term affect is likely to be worse than this (2 discs above are already bulged, and this will likely cause instability in them as well). GRRRRRRRRR.
Well, that's about it for the moment. Please keep your fingers crossed that this helps. I know this is only a "bandaid", but for the sake of my family I need to get some control back over my life.....