Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

So has anyone gotten "sick" before their surgery?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I woke up yesterday not quite feeling right in my left tonsil and after my nap today, which took me into the 7 o'clock hour, I am feeling worse. I am going to head into the walk in clinic attached to my dr's office tomorrow, but has anyone had a sore throat, tonsil, etc before their surgery? I'm pretty sure stress and a lack of sleep has contributed to this. However, I'm afraid that after the fight to get this surgery date and the fight with insurance after they denied it initially, that I'm going to have my surgery canceled Monday morning.

Anyone else experience anything like this?
advertisement

Comments

• I think stress can bring these things on. Make sure you rest, drink tons of fluids, and perhaps try vitamin C and Zinc, that's what I would do. Good Luck, Sue
  • Hi hun,
    Yeah just get into the clinic. Get your throat tested to make sure its not strep etc.
    REST take lots of fluids etc like Sue said.
    I have gone in with a cold before. As long as there were no other symptoms/fever etc. Without a issue.

Iv been worrying about it for a week now as a family member I was with got sick after the fair on the 31st and is still sick UGHHHH but nothing here yet. THANK GOODNESS.

Hang in there sweetie!! Keep that smile on!!!!!!
    Lets keep our fingers and toes crossed that everything stays on schedule for you!!
    Toes might be hard but hey I will try :D :D

Lots of love
    Terri >:D<
  • I had a middle ear infection a couple of weeks before my surgery. I would wake up and couldn't even get off the bed, just kept falling back on it and seemed to be so totally drunk. <:P Having never had one before I was clueless as to what was wrong. Eventually I went to the local medical centre and they said they could do nothing as it was viral but did give me stemitil. I was having panic attacks like you in case we had to cancel.
    After a week it felt better,
    The about 5 days after my surgery I got it again, even with the walker I couldn't walk straight and had to have the nurse hold me to go to the loo.
    Like you I think it was just stress as I never get sick or have viral things or even infections. I have only had 1 cold in the last 30 years!

So dont worry, see the Dr just in case but dont get into a state over it as I am sure all will be fine. Maybe an inhaler will help if it is simus problems.

Blessings Sara O:)
  • Sounds like the run down symptoms!

I have a therory too...we hold ourselves together in pain and as the surgery (solutions) are nearer, we relax off a bit and BANG! the bugs just come and get us!

Eat well, plenty Fruit and veg. Pamper youself and chill as best you can. You need to be firing on everything you got for the big day!
  • I felt a cold coming on-I bought some drops that were fro boosting immunity (in the cough drop area of walmart)-I took extra vit. C and drank a ton of water. I did not get a full blown cold and was healthy for the surgery. I think it depends on your surgeon if he/she will still do the surgery if you are sick.
  • I was scheduled for surgery originally in early February and got sick. I had an ear infection, sinus infection etc. My surgeon cancelled the surgery and wouldn't reschedule until the ENT Dr cleared me. The surgeon said that if you had an infection, then you could easily pick up a staff infection. I had 3 level fusion and he said that the germs would attack the hardware etc. that he was putting in and there was a good chance it wouldn't fuse. Mine was rescheduled for a month later and it has gone very well. I would definitely let your DR know what it going on.
  • I went to the express care today and the doc there took a look and said it's a viral tonsillitis/pharyngitis. She said there is no infection and no fever which is good and it shouldn't keep me from surgery on Monday. Yay.....I guess. LOL. She told me to get lost of rest this weekend, keep lozenges handy, and to drink lots of fluids to help flush my system. Man! This has been a long week getting to this point.

Thanks for all the love guys! >:D<
    I'm sure I'll post again Sunday night.

TTYL!
    Michelle
  • you're feeling better by Monday. What lousy timing for a cold! Thankfully it's not going to prevent you from the surgery. Good luck and get lots of rest! ;))
  • Mine was postponed for about 3 weeks since I came down with a sinus infection days before. Surgeon required waiting until I got clearance from my GP that I was better.
advertisement