Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

great PM experience

JWMJJWM Posts: 291
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Pain Management
Great PM experience, you say? Yes! I've said more than my fair share of bad things about them, money grubbing, pill pushing, blah blah blah.. Fact of the matter is, I just had to see him LONG enough to earn his complete trust.

Today, he did for me what I thought never, EVER would have happened. I do not have insurance and owe $1,700 to him, which is a few months old. Instead of kicking me out, they took my $125 visit fee, and instead of just banking it, applied it to my $1,700 that was owed! This puts me in a good standing with them, as I am moving forware.

Next, recognizing my cash situation, he lowered my visits to $90. Then, he post-dated a 2nd prescription that i can pick up on that date for NEXT month's meds, without even having to see him. AND, he took over all (2) of my meds from my primary physician, one scheduled drug, and one not, just because he knew it would save me the appointment(s) costs, and the time, and travel. Not only that, hey gave me 4 months worth! He also helped me to get the right generics, and it just cost me a whopping $75 for my entire month of ALL of my meds, ER pain, BP, BT, relaxant, anxiolitic,...!

For someone who spends so little time getting to know me, typically in, out, bam you're done, today he literally shocked me and completely killed me with his kindness. Insomnia has been tearing me apart too, so he gave me 30 each of two samples of two very successful meds! All in all, it was a miraculous visit, and one that I had never thought possible. While corruption, greed, and bad character can permeate through so many parts of our lives, it felt really great for once, to have so many GOOD things come to me in such a short time.

I'm not bragging or anything, it's just that I've trashed doctors a lot before, and thought that it was appropriate to share my great experience. I'm lucky to have him as a PM, and for a while, I get to be a little more relaxed, and enjoy life, not worrying about the money for my next appointment, or if they are going to drop me. Being unemployed, that's a huge relief. If you are in a bad or terrible situation, which I have been for a while now, don't give up, sometimes good things are far away, but they do eventually find their way to you.

Goodnight~
advertisement

Comments

• JWM,
    A wonderful story, heart-warming and effective, my own PM residential team have worked wonders and supported me in accepting all the necessary changes for improvement. Before going I researched the success rate and read academic text of the positives and negatives of the whole process and had some understanding and what would be expected of myself and the benefits I could reasonably expect.

You had to go through as selection process prior to going to assess you suitability and everything was explained in an understandable format precise and achievable.

I admire your courage to change and looking back reflectively many are in your financial situation and would benefit from the support you are getting, I was unemployed for many years and have worked hard to return to some employment and hounded those who could make this a possibility, as you say it is a collective effort and I am glad you have eventually found the support and encouragement you so richly deserve.

Take care, what next.

John
  • See good things come to people who wait >:D<

I am so very happy that you had a awesome experience and the Dr was so very caring to your needs!!!!
    You do not find that alot in PM that is for sure.
    Or some will only do a few meds. Even though they are allowed to do more!!!!

I wish you continued sucess!!!!!!

:D
  • Great, im happy for you! You deserve it! and its about time huh!

patsy
  • great to hear, man. Having that kind of relationship with someone who is treating you is invaluable! Great, man.

JW, if the mods allow....whould you also post this in thread in chronic pain forum titled "problem with pain drs"?
    I think the members there could use the news that there is hope from someone that has seen both sides and truly able to empathize.

Thanks,
    Ben
  • JWM,

I hope that you were able to get some good rest for once! So so happy to hear what happened for you at this visit!

"C"
  • funny Ben, but its the truth, it really is some wonderful news i wish this could happen with other people, how did you find this doc.? your blessed JVM-
    thinking positive
    being hopeful
    never giving up , all the way- sometimes just holding on to a piece of thread from a king sized quilt is all you need to get back ontop of things, (FROM EXPERIENCE)
  • Thats Awesome. Im sure the financial stress has contributed to your pain. I also have found a greaat Pm team that I trust and seems to care about me. It makes all the difference in the world. Good luck!
  • As I have always stated, if you are honest with your PM Dr. they will take good care of you. Congrats to you, and may you stay on the same path.
  • I too have an awesome PM team. My doctor takes such great care of me and my ailments. Whenever I had my SCS implanted, I didn't have the money to pay my copay after the insurance paid their portion. He told me that I could pay it out and to not worry about it. That took a huge load of worry off of my shoulders and I could concentrate on the trial and perm implants. He also has treated me for colds if I happen to be sick when I go in for a check up and i trying to get to the bottom of the the new symptoms that have surfaced, because he knows that I put a lot of trust in him and his expertise. We have a really good patient/doctor relationship. There really are some great doctors out there and I have been truly blessed with finding one of them.
  • I am soooo happy for you. Having a doc that is seemingly compassionate means everything! I love my PM doc! He performed an endoscopic microD on me that was failed back in Dec 07. My recovery was horribly painful and I lost my job to boot! Well he did a 5 level rhizotomy, nerve block and epidurals at no charge! He also always writes my scripts for double the amount that I take just so that I only have to go to him every two months. I hear so many horror stories here about PMs that it really makes me appreciate mine more. I hope that this is the start of a great relationship with you and your doc. Sometimes they are just so darn busy that they seem uncareing. I am glad that yours proved otherwise in the end.
  • Well, wow, the replies came rolling in..

Thanks everyone for the replies, and the kind words. I was definitely holding on by a thread for a long, long time; I still am, actually, gradually working my way up to better things, and this was just a nice reminder of the kindness that exists in other people's hearts, and we don't have to be their TRUE friends and familily to earn it. I've been straight forward with my PM about EVERYTHING from day one, from my past Oxy abuse and how I used to drink way too much (none now). It feels good to stick it out for the long haul and come ahead the winner. I wish everyone else on here the same results and fair treatment; but you may have to tough it out and fight a little for it!

Take care,

JWM
  • I love your attitude, it is inspiring
    and the no more drinking,( i never new this about you)buddy you deserve a pat on the back-you've come along way haven't you. bless your heart-soul-mind... patsy
  • your thread is turning into a king sized quilt (post #6)

• Yay, a good Doctor experience and I am so glad for you to have that kind of care.

I hope we all get our day too!!!
  • JWM,
    I'm very glad that the goodness came back around to you and you have moved your good feeling forward by sharing with us.

I have overcome drinking too much myself,so I know exactly what that's like.I don't miss it at all.Cheers to good people :)
  • I have been through two other PM. The first was prior to my surgery and he spoke very poor english and while you are in pain and can barely understand someone - it just makes it all that much worse.
    Then after my surgery I didnt realize that I was going to be in this life long situation that I am in. The last thing I even thought of was that I needed to be treated in a Pain Management clinic. I floated by, for a while, with my pcp prescribing meds here and there. Suddenly they are running out faster and faster. My new surgeon wont touch me with a nine foot pole and tells me I am suffering from failed back syndrome and am a chronic pain patient and sends me 'his' pain management friend. The surgeon spoke of this doctor as if he were the cure to chronic pain. Instead I got some young PA who used me to vent about divorcing his wife and that he should have been the one to bring his son to see Shamu rather than her...blah blah blah. He even would show me his pictures on his laptop...as far as Pain Management...he gave me no management what so ever. I would plea my pain to him and he would tell me there is no way I am having the pain. So I begged for a myleogram to prove..and proved it and he still said he will have no part in my narcotic abuse. (ps. at this point I was on 2 norcos per day). I would have insane reactions to the meds he put me on and he would disregard the side effects. Once he even said "are you sure you arent just coming down with a cold??".
    So I went back to the surgeon told him exactly how I was being treated and he lashed out saying its not his fault and on my merry way I went.
    My pcp suggested I go to this very prominent clinic through one of our biggest hospitals. He warned me that they are extremely conservative though. Whatever that should have meant.
    I wait 8 weeks to get in and have my 3 hour assessment. They bring me in month after month and I begin to gain their trust. I have never felt so "sought after" within the medical field. The woman assigned to me is phenomenal. I truly feel that she cares for me and cares whether or not I am in pain. I am happy there. And I hope to get to a great level, like you have JWM.
    Sorry this got to so long, if you got this far, kudos.
    I just wanted to add my 2c to this post of having a positive PM.

G'night all.

Alina
advertisement