Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Things I should know for "AFTER" surgery (m)....

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I've been skimming this board for a week now. LOTS of valuable information. Below are my MRI results. Right now I am scheduled for my 2nd ESI into C6/C7 on Monday. If round of ESI's do not work and relieve my pain, ortho surgeon is referring me to a neuro surgeon for surgery because the herniation is pressing against my spinal cord. What percent is the impingement, I don't know, it's not stated in my MRI result. I have pics if anyone wants to take a look see and estimate for me? LOL!

Anyhoo - I am curious to know - what kinds of things I will need to know or what would be helpful once I return home from surgery. I've seen things like no button shirts and no over the head shirts, to have a grabber to grab things on the floor, to sleep in a recliner, to have mushy foods around, etc. etc. I'd like it if any one can offer any pointers and things I would need to keep in mind or have on hand for when returning home. I am guessing according to my OS that I will be habing "spinal decompression" with fusion on that level and possibly another level. I havne't had a cervical MRI since 10/07 and feel I am due for another one.

I am 38 years old female with significant neck/back history. Was hit by a drunk driver at 12. Been seeing a chiropractor for 26 years :(. Since 10/07 I have had 3 episodes of excruciating neck pain one episide where I could not lift my head off the pillow, hubby had to hold my neck and push me up to sit and take in the pain. It was horrible. This last time two weeks ago, not SO bad, but bad enough I went to the urgent care and they gave me a shot of Tramadol.

I have current pain neck, both sides, running down shoulders into arms and wrists and fingers. I just want this to be over with. I'm not afraid of surgery, I want surgery because I've been dealing with this so FRIGGEN long! I have exhausted every single alternative therapy there is, I mean everything including traction. Here are my MRI results from 10/07.

**MRI Cervical Spine without Contrast. The vertebrae are normally aligned. Stature of the vertebral bodies is maintained. Spinal cord is of normal morphology with exception of ventral impression on the cord in the left paramedian location at C6-7 secondary to moderate protrusion of the nucleus pulposus. There is no evidence of tonsillar herniation, and the foramen magnum is normal in appearance. There is mild/moderate broad-based bulging in the disk/endplate complex at C5-6, but this finding does not cause impression on the spinal cord, there is no spinal or foraminal stenosis at this level.

Impression: Significant protrusion of the nucleus pulposus at C6-7, finding is positioned in the left paramedian location and causes mild ventral impression on the spinal cord. It is also possible that this finding may impinge the traversing left C8 root. Otherwise unremarkable MRI of the cervical spine.

advertisement

Comments

• and welcome to the forum....you will find a lot of support and understanding from our great member community here. A list of things for after surgery....I would definitely suggest that you add bendy straws and chloraseptic spray and\or lozenges to your list. Those were life savers for me. Also , please remember that when you are eating or drinking to take small sips and small bites , you DO NOT want to get choked up....it hurts. As far as sleeping in a recliner , well , sleep where it is most comfortable. For me it was the couch but for others it is the recliner or their own bed....each person in different so be willing to try different things....what works for one might not work for another. If there is anything at all that I can help you with then please just let me know. Please keep us posted as to how you are doing and what exactly you end up having done. Take care.....Miki

Oh yeah , I almost forgot....FOLLOW the doctor's orders , no over doing it , very important.... :)))