Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Morphine Sulfate

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Pain Medications
So, the pain doc put me on 15 mg of Morphine Sulfate timed release twice a day yesterday. Wow, I can already feel a difference from the Ultram. I woke up in A LOT of pain this morning and took one and within about an hour felt so much better. Anyone else taking this medication? Should I be concerned about addiction? I am taking it for neck, and back pain.
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi! morphine will become physically addictive if used for a long period of time as it is an opiate. this is just part of using this type of medication. your doctor is aware of this and can answer alot of your questions. follow the directions on your bottle and you should not have to worry about any other "addiction" problems. your doctor can help you use this medication safely and assist you if you need to stop it. check out "Meds. 101" under "Pain medications" for some more info. good luck and i hope you continue to find the pain relief you need. i found my life changed drastically for the better once i was on morphine. Jenny
  • Like all opiate/opiod narcotics, morphine has a potential for abuse and physical dependence. I think most here would agree it's by far not the WORST drug to get hooked on; it's not easily abused and most people don't get a wild high or anything taking it. Although some people have almost allergic reactions to it. If your neck pain is bad enough to use morphine and it is working, it sounds like your concern should be enjoying life and, well, doing stuff! Your dosage is low and it is controlling your pain, keep it there and you'll be fine. Always be concerned with addiction, and every time you take your meds make sure it is to control an existing pain, and not to create a temporary euphoria or something similar. (..differences between valid use, and abuse) Just FYI I was taking 90mg morphine a day, 3 x 30mg, and stopped cold turkey a couple months ago. I DID switch to a different drug, but it was the least troublesome drug to switch out of for me, by far. No withdrawals, nothing bad. I think you'll be just fine. Good luck, and take it slow and easy.

JWM

PS all my responses are speculation and your doctor should be asked for the true answer on all issues medicine related. =)
  • I do have to say that this is the best day I have had since before Surgery in late December 07.....and that includes the pain meds they had me on after surgery. I have been so miserable and just sick of hurting. My NS referred me to this new pain doc and I really like him. We tried other things, but it was like I wasn't even taking any pain medication. I just hurt all of the time. I feel better today than I have in probably over a year. I hope it continues!
  • :) wow! that is so good to hear! <:P finding a doctor who cares about you can make such a big difference! i know this will only get better for you! Jenny :)
  • I have struggled with back and neck pain for years (rear ended three times in one summer) and had seen the same pain doc for 6 years. She never really helped me.....used some muscle relaxants, Ultracet and Ultram but that is all. We did trigger point injections and LOTS of PT. She's not even the one who suggested we do an MRI when I started having all kinds of nerve symptoms. That was my PM and that's when we found the herniated disc etc. It was so bad that when they did surgery it was practically bone on bone and my neck curved the wrong way. I am very glad that the NS suggested trying someone else because I definitely didn't get much help from the other one. I think she was more old school.......I will say that the NS also suggested acupuncture and that has helped as well.
  • That's great that it is working so well for you. Follow all the great advice above and you shouldn't have any trouble with addiction. The main thing I want to warn you about is that these meds often become less effective rather quickly, so be aware that the great releif may be replaced by good relief in the near future. And also remember that good releif is better than no relief, so don't over do the meds to try and get that great releif again, it's like chasing your tial (I learned the hard way). Good luck.
  • I have been on MS of about 3 years now...15mg. And yes it is addictive. But for me taking it along with hydrocodone seems to get me standing up. Make sure you take the tablet whole, though.....it is time release and crushing or chewing it is bad news. I still drive and go to work, but it still helps me a lot :H
  • you will build a tolerance to these meds, some faster than others but your doc will know when and if you need to go up on the dose. My doc started me at the lowest possible dose in order to leave room to go up if needed and he says that it will more than likely be needed. Don't worry about that for now just enjoy the relief that you have and take one day at a time. Glad to hear the good news!
  • I have been on MS Contin 30mg twice daily for over a year (I also take Oxycodone for BT) and have been really pleased with it's pain control, however, I did begin to build up a tolerance to it a few months ago and am hoping to be either increasing it or changing to something else long acting when I see my PM Doc next week as my pain has been running 7 and higher every day for some time. But I never had ANY side effects of the morphine at all, and some people have said that it helps them sleep at night-I'm not so lucky-I have horrible insomnia that very few things help so I can't vouch for that.

I'm happy to hear it's helping you so much. I remember when it was like that for me too :S This doesn't mean you will build a tolerance as I have tho-I've ALWAYS been tolerant to many kinds of meds from pain meds to antibiotics, and have baffled my PCP a few times lol. :? Keep us posted on how you're doing, OK? (good or bad...we're always here!)

Take care of you..
  • I am just happy to know that when I get up in the morning hurting like I did yesterday....literally from neck to the bottom of my feet, that I can take my pain medication and it will actually work. I have put up with the pain for so long and was so disappointed that when I had ACDF C5/6 9 months ago that it did not help the pain. In some ways it's actually worse. It used to be just my neck and shoulders, now I have a lot of pain in my shole spine and even hips if I overdo it. Yesterday was such a good day when I realized that I didn't hurt and that I have finally been given something tht helps. I work full time in a job that has me doing computer work quite a bit....this can be very painful after a full day.....just glad that now I can come home and not have to lay down. I am hoping that it will help my patience with my children and husband. When you hurt 24/7 it can take its toll on you. Thank you for your encouragement and I'll keep you posted over the next several months.
  • Its a good med for pain imo its better than any hydrocodone mixture. MScontin worked wonders on my back it was a lil hard to get off of but i was on the 120mg a day schedule
  • I am taking Avinza, a 24 hour Morphine Sulfate capsule that has a modified release format. It releases 10% of the medicine right off the bat and then over the next 24 hours it slowly releases the rest of it. You don't get a buzz with it but it does work wonders on the pain. Let me rephrase.... Someone may get a mild buzz with it, but nothing like OxyContin or even MS Contin. These are all Long acting meds but they last for a supposed 12 hr period. Avinza lasts twice as long. As far as the addiction part goes, I would imagine that one would get addicted or I should use the term dependant as it is a narcotic and your body does have to adapt but I can't see the withdrawals being anywhere near as bad as they would be with these other meds, the 12 hr ones. I don't know, I haven't gotten to that chapter in my life yet. I have taken OxyContin, MSContin, and I've worn the Fentanyl patches. Nothing compares to the pain relief and ability to funtion sharply as with the Avinza. Geez, I souns like an Avinza salesman. Sorry about that, it's just made me a very happy person.
  • One thing that I do notice is that it seems to wear off about 4 PM and I'm pretty miserable until I get home and take another dose. I take my first dose first thing in the morning.....am going to try holding off a little longer and see if that helps.
  • My doctor has talked about putting me on this 24 hour form if the medication works for me. He wanted to try the 12 hour release first as I guess the other is rather expensive. I'm glad to hear that it works wonders for you.
  • For MCAFGR,

Morphine Sulfate is not a long acting, (ER) drug. MS Contin is. In other words, There are morphine sulfate formulations that you can break a pill in half with. You really shouldnt with long acting meds.

I have been taking MS Contin for almost two years now and have very good pain relief with a short acting med of Oxycodone. Another formulation that comes in long acting (Oxycontin) or short (IR).

You can learn more about breaking these pills in half in other threads that I, and others have written. I think you can start in, "Broken Oxys" for one.
  • Tanya,

I too have been on the MS Contin for a couple of years. I have too had the insomnia since I started it. I never had sleep problems before except for uncontrolled pain. I take one (1) mg. of Ativan before bed and this helps very little. I know that docs are concerned with the interaction of benzos. and narcotics at least mine seems to be. But I notice that a lot of the pain med people here seem to have both more often than not. I think Im going to have a talk with my doc about it. Many people like myself, and maybe you, find themselves feeling very tired during the day and blame it on the sedating effects of some narcotics when it might really be the lack of good sleep. I almost never get more that two or three hours of sleep at night without waking up and either reading or here.

Have you tried anything that helps?

Gary
  • Another for Tanya,

Yes, it seems the MS Contin started off very good, but my tolerance apparently built rapidly too. I started on 15 mgs twice daily with my 5 mgs of oxycodone. That only lasted two weeks and than I went to 30 mgs twice a day. That lasted about a year. Then added a 15 mg in the morning. Recently added a 15 mg at noon. A total of 90 mgs a day. My spouse works in medicine and always marvels at my tolerance for these meds too. She always says she cant even tell that I have taken anything other than that I am more active when my pain level is good. Its a good idea to start low, but dont be afraid to increase it every once in a while. Just dont go so high that you feel sedated. I never feel "high", just good pain relief. Gary
advertisement