Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Does my regimen of meds seem strange ? Please advise

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Lower Back Pain
I have two herniated discs in my lumbar region. Also severe Schuerrmans Kyphosis (Curvature of the lower spine)

I currently take daily

1 klonipin
3 flexeril
800 MG's of seroquel
3 .1MG clonidine
and 30 Mgs of busbar
40 mgs of prozac

What may work better for my acute pain im in pain EDITED constantly
advertisement

Comments

• Sorry the flexeril are 10 MG
    and the Klonipin is a 1 mg tablet
  • :) hi! i see this is your second post and i want to welcome you to the forum. we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you aren't taking any "pain" medications? i am referring to opiates of some kind. :? Flexeril is a medication usually used for muscle spasms. you sound like you are in alot of pain and could use something else. of course your doctor knows best and he can best advise you on this. you don't say what kind of doctor you have. a good pm? there is a good explanation of different pain meds under "Pain Medications, Meds 101" good luck and i hope you feel some relief soon! Jenny :)
  • Thank you for your fast reply and warm welcome ! But to be honest i should have mentioned this sooner. I am an addict and will be till i die. I was prescribed MScontin(180mgs!), vicodin , percocet, LOTS of Norco, even Methadone . It all worked well but i abuse the medications sadly I wish i was able to take the meds responsibly. The second i broached the subject with my doctor he put me on this regimen:( i also have had lots of celebrex also toradol and cortisone shots I just need to know if theres something out there that helps serious pain without the addiction side? Tramadol ive had before and it seemed to help but isnt it an opiate? ive heard it can be addictive. Epidural ? Neurontin ?
  • I understand your dilemma. Do you have a close friend or relative that would be willing to keep your meds for you and give you daily what you should take that day? I have a family member that I have to do this for because they are an addict and it actually works out well.
  • a patch? Have you talked to doc about this? They would be a little harder to abuse unless you think that you might break them open. Just a thought.
  • Thanks thats two great suggestions ill have to breach that subject kindly as there is a child in the home and its strict anti drug due to my past troubles but I think thats a magnificent way to do it personally. Anyone have experience with epidural's ?
  • I have had every injection known to man! Where is most of your pain? as far as child in the house then maybe better to have a friend or relative divvy the meds out to you? I do not know but maybe a home health care worker could do the same?
  • May be a problem to keep child in home if drugs were there? Hmmmm... that does complicate things. Is surgery a possibility at all? I commend you for being aware that you have a problem. That takes a special kind of person to do that. The thing about the epidurals is that they do not last long. But, in some cases they are used as diagnostic tools in order to see what the source of your pain is.
  • check out the Spinal Injections section for more info on epidurals.
  • Im really touched by your help everyone it hasn't gone unappreciated one bit. >:D<
    To pain in the back its not so much a problem with having the drugs in the house. The problem being that i cant use drugs that would be inebriating they are raising an impressionable beautiful young girl (My little sister) .In the house and drugs are obviously strictly forbidden.

THanks !
  • I hit what us addicts call an Incomprehensible demoralization with drugs.It was weeks of puking with my nerves standing on end ( My hair was hurting to put the pain in perspective)also i have been to a rehab center (The camp recovery center) In Santa Cruz California and refilled my script the day I left so i definitely have an opiate problem.
    I have consulted a very respected surgeon about my pain and he's the one that diagnosed my back. His plan was to fuse every disc in my back together(as i recall) :( Clearly that leaves significant room for error and worsened pain. I skipped the surgery. I'm looking at epidural my psych doctor has been recommending them since i explained my diagnoses.
  • I wish you all the luck in the world. I just know by your determination that things will work out well for you. Good luck and please keep us posted.
    BTW- I know what you mean about a fusion. The odds are not good enough for me either.
  • :) you have to use medications which are not opiates and that is rather difficult to do. opiates are the basis for most pain medications. you are in a situation of not being able to use the very thing that could help you feel better. you seem to have made your decision and i admire that i just wonder how long you can go without significant pain relief? of course if the epidural works that is a mute point!!! Jenny :)
  • I have to give you my respect for the fact that you acknowledge that you've had and still do have a problem with opiates and have chosen to take your young sister into consideration. That is a very difficult but extremely responsible action on your part. I applaud you! You mentioned Celebrex before. I know that before I had any of my surgeries I was taking Bextra. It was the ONLY way that I was still able to hold down a job. I wish that I could still take it but it was removed from the market. Does the Celebrex do nothing for you? I wish that I knew of another med to recommend but I don't. I'm very sorry for the pain that you are in and the situation that you are in. I hope that you find a good solution to this very soon.
    Sincerely,
    Jewels >:D<
  • Thank you jewels and lulu for your kind responses!
    Jewels the celebrex did help the problem is its a murderous drug on your kidneys and liver and i suffered abdominal pain from it. I also tried meloxican and i recall it helping some maybe ill try that again its a non steroidal anti inflammatory. :)
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.