Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery Regrets?? Disappointment??

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I've read a ton of posts on here about people trying to decide whether to have surgery (like me!), and people who are glad they have had surgery. I'm wondering, is there anyone who REGRETS it? Or who didn't get get good results? I would be getting fusion at C5/C6 and C6/C7. I know I can't live with this pain anymore, and I'm not really nervous about the surgery itself, but I am nervous about AFTER. What if it doesn't work?? What if I am in even more pain??

Thanks all!
advertisement

Comments

• I certainly have no regrets, but at the time of making the decision I was quite educated about the procedure, my condition, my future without surgery and the NS who performed the surgery. I knew that I really had no choice if I was going to continue living. I also understood the risks of surgery and that's the key.....you must understand the risks because bad things do happen. If you are so bad pre-surgery that you are willing to accept the risk, knowing and realizing that a poor outcome is possible, then you are probably ready for surgery.

Understand that surgery isn't a cure, it's the best "patch" that today's medical profession can provide so you don't get worse. Getting better than you were pre-surgery is the BONUS and it's not a bonus that all patients will realize. I consider myself lucky that I have improved so much...not just lucky...I also attribute my current health to the dedication and committment that I gave to PT, exercise, and healthy eating habits. It's not just the surgeon's job to help you, you have to help yourself recover also.

Take care!
  • Hi Kathleen

Like Patricia, I educated myself tremendously prior to any surgery. Regardless of the outcome, I have no regrets.

I look at it this way. Even if the outcome isn't as good as I and the surgeon had hoped for, had we not tried I'd be kicking myself forever.

"C"
  • Hi Kathleen,

As Patricia said you have to be committed to the recovery. I as well have no regrets and don't have the optimal results i expected yet. However the pain that i was once in is gone and that I am happy for. Even once surgery is over you will find you have changed your life and will always have to work to keep up your success. The recovery is a lot of hard work and take time. The surgeon can only take you so far and then the rest of the recovery is up to you. So if i had to start all over again i would make the same choice i made to have the surgery. Good luck and keep us posted on what you do.
  • I, like others, didn't have the optimal results, even after 2 surgeries in 6 months. However the decision to have surgery wasn't just a quality of life issue for me or a pain issue, I was quickly losing the use of my limbs.

Considering what would have happened had I not had it I'm happy that I'm still on my feet! I guess it does take a post like this to realize that things could be much worse. Thanks for that.

Ultimately the decision is yours alone. You must know all of the risks....and not just from these boards alone. We are not representative of the entire community of people who have had the surgery. Most people who have great results do not continue to post here- they get on with their happy, active lives. Please remember that!

Please keep us informed and let us know if you have any other questions. We're all here to help and there's someone here who's been through just about anything you could throw at us! Hang in there, the answers will come to you when you're ready for them.

Griff
  • Hello Kathleen,
    I am now 9 weeks post op C5-C6 ACDF with donor bone and Titanium Plate and Screws and I am thankfully out of pain for the first time in over five and a half years! I am in physical therapy and am doing exceptionally well. My life had been completely changed by the pain I had from the pinched nerve and once I realized that the decision to risk surgery was a given. I pray that the Lord will lead you to His path for you and if that path includes this surgery, I pray you have a speedy and safe recovery.
    God Bless You & Many Prayers,
    Christysuzie
  • No regrets here either. I'm nearly 6 months post-op a 2 level cervical ADR (c5-6 and 6-7). Most of my pain has gone, although I do get some tingling and sleepy fingers from time to time. I'm back at work and building up my hours, doing quite a demanding job.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!
  • My cervical fusion was C5-C7 with a plate & 6 screws. While I am not having the same pain I had prior, I am still in pain, five years later. My latest MRI shows yet another herniation at T1......I've been in PT for 1.5 yrs..and I'm no better, but not worse.

This has to be YOUR decision, do the benefits out weigh the risks?

Good Luck!!
    Lisa
advertisement