Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SI joint inflammation after L1-L5 fusion

janiskijjaniski Posts: 679
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in New Member Introductions
}:) I recently had 2 spinal fusion, a L4-L5 at first (360 with instrumentation). Six months later I had L1-L5 fused. I am almost a year out from the 2nd surgery and am having low back pain which the surgeon suspects is SI joint inflammation. I am starting acupuncture and if that is not successful than an injection into the joint. Has anyone else had SI joint problems after a fusion??
L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i do not have your exact problems but we all have pain in common. good luck with your new treatment. Jenny :)
  • You might want to check out the surgery section for an answer to your question. There are lots of people that have had fusions here and lots of people that have had problems afterwards. I am sure that somebody in the same situation that you are in will come along to answer your question. Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress.
  • ...and welcome to Spine-health.com

SI joint pain is fairly common after L5-S1 fusion -quite a few of us here have experienced it, including myself. In my case, I had an excellent Physical Therapist, who looked after my surgery rehab. She was very experienced in spine rehab after surgery, and when I explained the particular pain I had at the time she diagnosed SI joint pain. After several sessions of her manipulating the SI joints over 3 weeks and giving me exercises to do at home, the joints came right after a month or so and ever since then, no more SI joint pain. So, i suggest that if you don't have one already, you find a good physical therapist and seek help there.

Hope this helps.

Bruce
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• Wow Bruce painfree life........sounds too good to be true, just goes to show that there are success stories out there..bruce u say pain free..........do you get weakness in legs or arms or nerve damage as a result of your surgeries? just curious to know..............you seem to have done brillantly
advertisement