Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

More Revisions - what to expect

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi

I am scheduled to have a second revision PLIF and now it has hit me I am terrified. What do I expect - same as before?

How many times can I go thro this? Seriously, hysteria asde, I ask having suffered for over 4 years and been post op 18 mths and 6 mths, can they really salvage me so I have pain reduction - what are the chances?

I have read the papers that suggest the longer you wait the less likely your recovery or full recovery in respect of pain reduction. Should I just leave it and take the risks and suffer the pain?
Could this 3rd operation make the pain worse still?
So many questions...any serious replies would be appreciated.
advertisement

Comments

• I am so sorry you have to go through this yet again. If I remember correctly you had the cage that needs to be removed?
    Hopefully this should be a more simplified procedure then you have had in the past and as you know, you really have to try to think positively about thie surgery.

OK- Now this may sound crazy but bear with me on this. :/

Think of your surgeries as baking a cake.

First you have to mix all the ingredients together and that takes time, finding the right bowl, measuring etc.
    That was your first surgery.

Next you have to bake the cake in the oven (we dont use microwaves here!) and that takes time toowaiting for the oven to heat and preparing the tin etc. Cant hurry it.
    So that is your second surgery.

Then and finally you have to fine tune it and decorate it!
    This is the best part as you are near the completion :))(
    And this is your 3rd surgery!

So really all you are having done is putting the icing on the cake and decorating it then it will all be done.

WOW you should see the cake I have in mind for you, just perfect and beautiful and fun and yummy <:P <:P

Blesings Sara O:)

P.S I just re-read your post and saw you wanted serious replies, so seriously, you do need to be positive about this if you decide to go ahead.
    As you know only you can make the decision but you need to look at your quality of life. How much can you do now and weigh it up against what you are risking.

• No prbs Sara, the cake story works fine!

I do hope you are right!
    ~X(
  • I absolutely love your cake analogy! You are definitely one for visualization! You are awesome and I think your positive thinking is rubbing off on lots of us here. Thank-you so much, >:D< Sue
  • I can say that having revisions is something that you have to have a dedicated surgeon for. No surgeon wants to go back and redo or correct or clean up what they thought that they had taken care of already. Especially when they know that someone is suffering for it. I've had several revisions and I have a lower back that feels great. Had it not been for those revisions I doubt I'd be sitting here typing away like this.

I found that the longer the time between the surgeries, the more I would get nervous. The ones where I'd wake up from surgery and know things weren't right, or know a few days later ... those were easier.

Hang in there, you obviously have a surgeon who cares and that is awesome!

"C"
advertisement