Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Thinking about getting pregnant (8mos post op 2nd microdisc)

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
This is very much in the "maybe we want one, life is hard now, will be harder with two, but it'd be nice, gee, how could we make it work" stage, so nothing is planned...but...I have had baby fever for nearly a year now. The reherniation threw a massive monkey wrench in those plans (not that they were plans yet), and now I want another baby but am afraid of what the stress of carrying a child will do to my spine. This is especially the case considering it was when I was 7mos preggo with my son (who's 2 1/2 now) when my disc herniated more, and during childbirth it essentially shattered (ouch). I had my first surgery 4mos after giving birth (Aug '06) and the second this past December.

My most recent MRI shows some arthritic changes in the facet joints, and some mild scar/granulation (healing) tissue around the nerve root. The neuro said since the surgery was less than a year ago, it's to be expected.

My neuro doesn't think pregnancy would be a problem (though it does strain the facet joints as the belly makes the back over-arch), and it seems all the docs feel "Oh, you should be fine." They also said that the FIRST time.

I know no one can give me 100% assurance, but right now just hearing "You should be fine" is not enough. I want technical/medical explanations assuring me that (at least most likely) my spine will be able to withstand another pregnancy. I also know that if there is one, there will be certain provisions: 1) I will be pulled off work early (around 7mos), and 2) I will have an "old school" c-section where I'm completely knocked out. Natural childbirth would be too traumatic on my spine, and the modern c-section where the woman is awake won't work because they won't give me a spinal (altered anatomy and all).

Wondering anyone and everyone's thoughts, experiences, and advice on this one. Frickin' baby fever! :SS
advertisement

Comments

• Lauruffian,

Man am I jealous! - personally I am wanting another baby but right here and now it would be the most insane thing I had ever done. But that is me.

I can't even lift a baby - how cruel would that be? Sure you do lying down hugs but babies are hard on your spine, thats without problems.lol.

A wise idea would be wait 12 mths post op. They say it takes the body that long to recover from the anaesthsia, let alone all the other stuff. You would be off limits for a good 12 months if you fell pregnant, no meds, no surgery etc. Can you do it? (I don't know who "they" are!!)
    That said, the simple fact you are having these thoughts is a good sign you feel you can cope.
    Good luck whatever you decide and be careful. >:D<
  • I know how you feel about wanting another, I have 2 little ones (age 2 and 1) and although my life is busy enough at the moment there is still a longing for another baby.

I have no advice about your back, I don't think any Doc will give you a guarantee, you might just have to make the decision to go for it and see what the future brings. Fingers crossed your back will stay strong and you won't have any issues.

Good luck with your decision!

Cheeka

• My husband and I ask our neuro the same question. My son will be 2 in 4 months and sometime in the future we wanted another child. The neuro told me the same thing. The only thing different I have had 5 herniations. 2 at 4/5 2 at 3/4 and 1 at 5/1 and facet arthritis and severe degenerative disc disease at 3/4 and moderate at 4/5 and 5/1. He told me I could have another child but the possiblity of reherniating another disc is very high. Of course, a herniated disc don't always cause problems just depending on the location and the size and your anatomy. Even though my bubby and I want one right now we have decided not to take another chance.

Good luck I know what you mean by baby fever. I am so there with you.
  • I heard of back supports you can wear when pregnant to support your spine. I am sure you can find a good one that works for you. Another bit of advice would be to really watch you weight if and when you do get pregnant. My husbands aunt has a herniated disc in her lumbar and had a baby. She said everything went well until the birth. She was in so much pain that she was hallucinating. She has done ok since then. Her baby is now 2 yrs old.

Best wishes,
    Clarissa
  • What a difficult decision. I guess it's always a risk when you have a history of back problems. I've had baby fever for 15 years now and fear I will never be a Mum! But if you want to go ahead, I would think that getting your core muscles as strong as possible beforehand would be a good idea, and definitely look at those back supports that are available. A friend of mine used to wear one when she was pregnant because she was having pelvic problems. The correct supports effectively help to take the weight of the bump. Then, once you are pregnant you will just have to be careful not to over do things and be prepared that another herniation is a possibility.

Good luck and I really hope you manage to have your 2nd baby. By the way, how are you coping at work these days? Not crossed paths with you for a while! Take care, Spicey
advertisement