Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

anyone in a collar

cyndi4everccyndi4ever Posts: 153
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
after having a c spine lamenctomey(sp),, I had my surgury on the 26 was in the hospital for 8 days and now an in a collar for 3 months.... so restricting, but they did alot of surgury and muscle moving so I guess its good to have the collar, plus they fused 3 levels,,,,,,
advertisement

Comments

• hi cyndi,
    why 8 days may i ask?? was there complications???

i only had to wear mine for 4 weeks and then when i felt like wearing it i could. it was a soft collar much easier then those hard things.

i wish you the very best of luck in your recovery hun!!

hugs
    terri >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • I was put in a collar on May 7th after my C2 and C7 fracture. I was lucky not to be in a halo, I wish a lot of strength to those people in that situation. I had to wear mine 24/7 until my C1 was strong enough to undergo surgery.
    I had the operation on August 26, 2008 and now I have to wear the collar for only another 6 weeks.
    Good Luck to you and try to stay away from the sun since it does get pretty warm in these things!
  • I had anterior c5-6 fusion with instrumentation and donor graft and removal of bones spurs July 31st. I wore a hard collar for 3 weeks...annoying at first then I got used it! When I saw the doctor on August 22nd he switched me to a soft collar. I did find I had to "wean" myself into the soft collar: Wear it for a while and switch back to hard (typically while I was resting). I needed it to sleep for a couple weeks. Now (a little over 5 weeks) I wear the soft collar all day and nite, only removing it to shower.If I feel i have "overdone" I will put the hard brace back on for a bit to rest. I see the doctor on september 26 (that will be 8 weeks). I am hoping at that time I can start weaning off the soft collar. You did have three levels fused; I only had one and I have read that the posterior procedure is a longer recovery..so hang in there!
  • Yep, I am going to be in this for 3 months, Actually I have to take it off when I shower and its so scarey when I dont have it on (funny huy) guess its becoming my security...
    I also have to wear the bone stimulator for 4 hours daily for about 6 months, My doctor is being very protective this time, as my last one did not fuse right,... Nice to have this forum,
  • I've been in a soft collar since 8/14. My follow up visit is 9/17 and I don't know if I'll be able to remove it then or not.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,736
    ">image

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message
    _______________________________________________________________________________
    I've had C5/C6 ACDF and C6/C7 ACDF at two different times.
    Both times (1996 and 2000) I was in the hospital for 2 days (your 8 days is long, did you have any complications?) and then I had to wear the Philideaphia Hard Collar
    for about 7 weeks 24 hours a day. I could remove one half at a time in the shower. I thought that 7 weeks was a long time and I have heard many people with ACDF that use only a soft collar post-op. Your procedure had to be more involved (due to the span of discs).
    Before you know it , the time will be up. Cervical surgeries seem to have a higher success rate and faster recovery time than lumbar. I know that I had almost immediate relief from any pain and discomfort after my surgeries and even to this day, I really am not bothered by my cervical problems, unless I do something to flare it up.
    I cant say the same for my lumbar surgeries. Those ever after almost 20 years still cause me some problems.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement