Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pain level at least a nine.

manaleriemmanalerie Posts: 547
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Chronic Pain
Pain levels are extremely high tonight. Not sure why. Maybe from cutting down on ultram. I didn't take my second dose this afternoon. Or possibly from sitting in the ER last night for over 8 hours???

I'm also having leg cramps when I lay down to sleep. Driving me nuts.

I wish I had a hot tub. That would be great. My bathtub is useless. My bathwater doesn't get nearly hot enough to slightly relax any pain. I have to boil 4 pots of water, and still would only get a minute or two of relief.

I should go fishing. I'm in the middle of a tropical storm, can't sleep, sounds like fun. I love listening to the rain drop on the lake. Anyone up for it? lol
advertisement

Comments

• Sorry to hear your having such a rough time, fishing might actually be a good idea.Sometimes when the pain gets to be too much, keeping the mind busy will help.May I also suggest heated "rice bags", I keep 3 around just for those days when heat seems like the better option.

Hope you feel better!!
  • sorry your having so much pain.
    could be from the storm.

i started in thurs night and boom by the time the rain got here sat i was in bed all day.

it is possible laying in the ER caused you to be more uncomfortable. plus missing your dose of meds. yes great idea given heat is awesome for spasms etc. sometimes i get them so bad in my feet i have to heat up a washcloth and wrap it around my toes.
    or i have the good old heating blanket. for larger areas.

but i would blame it all on the storm this time!!! RAIN RAIN GO AWAY }:)

but if you are not feeling better give your dr a call hun..

hugs
    terri >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • Amanda,
    I'm sorry to hear that your in so much pain. I would think between the xombo of the storm and the fact that you were in the ER for 8 hours pretty much did you in. When I do anything uncomfortable for 8 hours "just sitting in the wrong chair counts" my pai will shoot up to a 9. And of course whenever the weather changes I feel that too. It's funny, when I was younger I always heard "older" people talk about how the weather would hurt their joints, and now I'm one of them! I feel like I should be in a commercial for "Deep Heat Cream". I sure hope that you find some relief and feel better soon.
    Good luck & feel better,
    Jewels
  • that you are in so much pain tonight. is it possible to turn the temp up on your hot water heater? I purchased something called a back buddy and it has been a real life saver for me. you heat it in the micro for 1 min 30 seconds and it gives off moist heat for hours.It wraps around your entire low back (or anywhere else that you need to put it) and fastens with velcro straps in the front. It can not burn you and is actually safe to go to sleep with it on. If heat helps your pain I would highly recommend this. You can get one at most large drug stores. They are usually by ace bandages and ice heat packs. I hope that you feel better soon.
  • Why is it that I always forget I have one of these microwave things?? I begged for it last Christmas, and I think I've used it twice. Its one for your neck, but big enough to use on your back. Its freezable, and microwaveable. Has aroma therapy stuff in it too, smells like tea. I gotta remember that!!

Pain was at a good 7-8 all day today. Weaning off of ultram, slowly, so that of course along with sitting in the lovely ER all night is really doing me in.

You know, I heard that the reason we feel pain, when there is a change in the weather, is caused by the barometric pressure. For some reason, people can feel the barometric pressure change in their bones and joints.

My neighbor and I have cocoa and heating blanket/movie watching pitty parties when the weather gets bad. It's nice having a next door neighbor who is going through the same crap I am. We have a lot of fun with it... almost like mini sleep overs lol!
  • Sorry about the pain, it does stink, sometimes even on the med's i am on I have those days where I cant get it out of the severe pain level. Fishing actually would help to free your mind a bit, I love to fish, Im always a catch, picture, and release dude. I'd be down to fish with you were it possible. But fishing by yourself might not be too bad.

What injury do you have? There are certain things I notice make my pain much worse, and sitting uncomfortably, such as when I drive, is one of the main one's, the constant sitting probably may be what caused your pain flair up. Maybe you need different pain meds,especially something like valium which I take which works very well to relax the muscles and tightness in the back and might work for the cramps you have, I also think Ultram is kind of weak for a 9-pain level, but that depends on what your problem is and doctor, you may need a stronger narcotic such as hydro-or-oxy-codone as I also have to use, but doc's are more hesitant to prescribe them because of recreational users. Even on those meds on bad days like youre having I still cant keep my pain under control which is why I am trying surgery yet again on Tuesday, cant wait! Yea right. Actually I am dreading it.

But there are a lot of people like you here who everyday wake up and they do not know what to expect in regards to pain.

At worst case if your pain level is a 7-8-9-10 you could go to the emercency room and hopefully get help for a couple days.

Good luck to you whatever you decide.
  • I wish that I had a neighbor that could do that with me too! Although I certainly wouldn't want to wish it on somwone for that reason alone. It sounds fun though. I'm glad that your feeling better now but I truly think it was the ER that did it. It happens to me everytime. When I had a bad fall two years ago I hurt my back very badly, (it now crunches & the pain is worse) but I also broke my elbow. I sat in one of those little plastic chairs for over 2 hours and had to home without having any x-rays done like I had been told to so by my surgeon. I just couldn't handle it! Also when my husband had surgery 2&1/2 years ago He was in the hospital for a week. That just about killed me! Continue to get better, I'm rooting for you!
    Jewels
  • I never know what to think. First I'll read that you can't take Valium with Oxy and then I'll read where people have been prescribed exactly that. Why does it keep coming up two different ways? Just two different ways of thinking? I'm so curious about this. :?
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,726
    Just a warning about those packs. The directions on mine said put in the Microwave up to 3 minutes. I was doing that for several months, no problems. One night, I was having some bad T-problems, so I heated it as usual, went to bed. I had a sweatshirt on and the pack under me. I finally went to sleep, and when I woke in the morning, I felt something on my back. My wife check it out and it was a nasty burn. Turned out to be a third degree burn. After trying to deal with it normally, we couldnt so I finally had to go to a plastic surgeon where he dug it out and then did some skin grafts to cover the huge hole.
    All of these because of a microwavable pack? The problem (we all think) was because of laying on it, the heat was more concentrated. But still a microwavable pack, you just think the heat would have subsided after a bit...
    Just beware!
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • i hear you so much ron, i have several bed buddies i call them some have even cost me 100 dollars, i always put mine infor 2 min. unless its a small one then less min. they work better than heating pads for nite. i have bought a new heating pad that automatically shuts off after 2 hours. if i use them on my back where im gonna be laying my body against i dont heat as much for i have also had red marks from them- never burnt like you though- that must of just been terrible-my grand-daughter now will only go nini with her bed buddy for which we just warm up slightly it has been a blessing for her sleep, she calls it her purple nini friend. i have found the white ones you get at walgreens that are long with handles are just to heavy to put on my shoulders any more but are great to set across the tops of my legs. just my little imput... ps love your new picture! patsy
  • Ive been prescribed both for awhile now, Ive never heard they cannot be taken together, maybe with certain people though. The Oxy is just for my pain while the valium is prescribed to me mainly for muscle spasms and my constant stiffness especially after waking, and it does work great for that. But it also was prescribed to help my anxiety that many CP people suffer and it also is good to help me sleep if my pain is keeping me from falling asleep at night.
  • Yep, I've done it too, fell asleep with a therma care back wrap, about a month ago. Luckily I wasn't burned too bad.

When i was a teenager, I got home from school, turned on the heating pad, tucked it into my pants and fell asleep. While I was sleeping, I had rolled over and the heating pad moved from my back to my side, so I was laying on it. I woke up and had two or three marble sized dark red spots on my stomach and side. the next day, they were HUGE blisters.

definitely not a good idea to sleep with them!
  • Currently taking Ultram for herniated disk, bulging disk, and annular tear. Having major issues with the ultram though. (which is why I was at the ER) I haven't taken it in two days. I also was prescribed valium, to help me sleep, since the ultram keeps me up all night.

I really need to call my doctor, and get this pain med stuff taken care of. I've developed a sort of phobia of doctors though, and keep putting it off.

I think for a while I am going to try the med free route. I'm just so tired of this trial and error stuff my neuro is putting me through. I've already gone through it with my PCP and found what works. My neuro just wont listen to me. When I can't stand it anymore, then maybe my doctor can actually see what I'm dealing with.
  • Jewels,

I only wish you lived a little closer!! I'd come and spend the day with you anytime. Airfares a killer though! lol
  • Catch, picture and release... That's what we do too... I've got some pretty good pics. My sister still holds the record (among my friends that is) She caught a 4 lb bass... She was here from Cali visiting... All my friends are still trying to beat it lol!
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.