Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

7 mo's post ACDF, and just made it back from hong kong

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Just checking in, it was January 08 when (1)I was at wits end from pain and failed treatments and (2) I got promoted and recommended for training in Hong Kong. Happy to say, made it home yesterday (with a soft collar on for the last part of the 20 hour journey) after a fantastic week. My back ached sitting in conference rooms (brought my heating pad), and when my seatmate on the plane tried to talk to me I had to explain that I couldn't turn my head for very long. And since it's been a recent topic - my voice does fade after a normal day of work - I'm not singing, but I have to talk a lot. But what a difference a few months makes.

I saw my surgeon before I left, she thought I'd be back to normal activities by next summer (1.5 years post op) which, frankly, is a timeframe that makes me cry sometimes. I haven't played the piano, run, taken a vacation, or played tennis in a year now. But walking down the streets of Kowloon with a mango-strawberry smoothie in my hand, I have to say, I was blissfully happy. I was so so far away from my bed and my floor and PT and Walgreen's and the hospital and all the other less-than-exciting places where I have spent the past ten months or so of my life.

So all I can say is, keep healing everyone, it's a woefully slow process. But it happens to the slowest of us!
advertisement

Comments

• Hey Chic! It sounds like you are doing great! Next summer will be here before you know it, and I'm betting you will be back at all your activities! Glad you had a "blissfully happy" moment during your travels. Please keep us posted! ---Mazy
  • Chicagogal,

I agree totally. I have been known to have a slimfast for breakfast then ice cream for lunch. (That was before being Dave's caretaker)

Good to hear your life is getting back to normal. We asked Dave's surgeon if he was going to be able to go on a cruise 6 mon post surgery, and he said there should be no problems. We are surviving his postsurgery infection nightmare by planning a trip to Europe a year from now. Just thinking of the bliss you spoke about is something to take our minds off the present. Life will become normal again and "this too shall pass".

Linda Mi
  • Thanks guys, and as you can tell, I fully believe in the beauty of trip planning to get one through trying times. Somehow you need a marker for when all of this will be different and better, with celebrations - even little ones. And a cruise sounds perfect.

I'm hunkering down for the next six months of rehabbing my body (god I am so sick of PT), but planning to come out strong.