Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello fellow DDD club members,do suffer from“a DDD flair up”

jj-from montrealjjj-from montreal Posts: 60
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
I have been diagnosed with cervical DDD at 37 by that time I was a mess already, any ways. I experience what neurologists refers to as “a DDD flair up”
I don’t know what I do, to cause it; all I know is that I go from my usual pain level of 5 to 6 at any given time to 8-10 on the pain scale. It so bad I wish tomorrow comes soon.
What works for me for theses so called flair ups is a 15 day very carefully monitored medication treatment of a nerve relax er called cyclobenzaprine 10 mg & 1200-1600 mg ibprophine per day . I could not drive on this cocktail, it made me very drousy droopy I was out of commission for the 15 days, Now im back to my normal tolerable levels of pain, Im Ok with that

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A little back ground;
I’m a 48yrs old male, I have moderate to severe chronic pain everyday of my life for the past10 years,
I was diagnosed with sever stinosis in the neck, severe D.D.D
At 37 I had to have a lamanectomy from C3 to C7 inclusive, do to herniated disc that affected my spinal cord. The doctors have made it very clear that there is real nothing left to try, medically.
Presently I can not feel with my hands, no sensation, I have pain from my head to my toes. I have been on every type of pain medication and all stopped working after a while
Now I take Lyrica and and medical marijuana
(My advice to the world ,” acceptance, never give up, keep your self occupied . get physiological help, just to put things into prospective. Try to smile)
advertisement

Comments

• Hello. I must be having a "Flare Up" too. I have been feeling great since April and all of the sudden on this past Friday, boom! I can't stand up straight, it hurts to bend, lift, sit, sleep, drive, work, live, be a mom, go to the bathroom, and so on and so on. The problem I have is that I am on Suboxone and I have tried everything OTC and none of it is working for me during this time. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I ask my Dr. if I could stop the suboxone and take some pain meds and then after this runs its course, return back to the suboxone? I am desperate. Please, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :) :))) :??
  • You should ask you doctor that question as subloxone is a med to help you get off pain meds..
  • I know that Canada is a bit behind other countries in placing a lot of spinal cord stimulators, but it might be something worth checking on. I have a stimulator for my c-spine and it is a wonderful device. I just never give in to the idea that there's nothing more medically that can be tried. At least for pain control. They might not be able to fix the cause of the pain, but they can certainly help control the pain.

BTW welcome to Spine Health!

"C"
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,722
    DDD is basically the aging of our spines. It is akin to our hair turning gray! Almost every one past 30 years old will show some signs of DDD. Trauma and Surgery can make this happen sooner and progress more rapidly.
    In most cases, DDD can be treated with a prescribed exercise routine and over the counter medications (NSAIDS).
    In rare situations, will DDD require surgery.
    From time to time, we can get flare ups of our DDD situation,
    but that can be handled by some rest, heat, and possible physical therapy and/or medications.

But always consult your doctor.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • that are also eased by muscle relaxers. I take methadone and only take the mr's when I have a really bad flare up.
  • I flared up badly about 3 weeks ago. It wasn't just my back, it involved my shoulder, knees, wrists, etc. I was put on Prednisone and it improved the stiffness and the pain everywhere else. My back pain still remained but it was back to baseline.

I'm going thru another flare up right now and am on Toradol for the back pain and severe nerve and muscle spasm pain in my leg. I inched my way to PT and thank goodness they were kind and iced down my back. Well, that's my week so far.
  • Sometimes the flare ups are caused by the nucleus of the disk that is effected. It will release the fluids of the disk and have a chemical reaction when it hits the spinal cord. I had just one flare up from My injured disk and I hope I never have another one again. It felt just as bad as when I injured My back.
  • Sometimes so bad that I can't move, so I have to lay down. That's when I get out the heating pad, get into bed, get the remote to the TV, and usually it will stop after a while. If it doesn't, that's when I take something, usually an Ibuprophen 800mg.
    Right now I'm going thru a Thoracic flare-up that's hard to control..it feels as if I could just take a deep breath it would feel better..also feels like I have a rock just below my shoulder blades in the center of my spine. Rest is not helping much. And the back of my right arm is very weak, like I've been lifting weights.
    My hope is it is better by morning..I have to work.
  • I have almost constant flare ups like that. 8-10 usually also.. My least pain is after I take a musle relaxor which it only gets down to a 5-7 then.
  • I notice that the DDD and the arthritis in my other joints flare up together at times. I'm put on Prednisone for really bad flares, and I take Naproxen so I can move. The earlier, the better. And also I take Fentanyl, Norco, Zanaflex, and Neurontin for my chronic back and nerve pain.
  • DDD, stenosis,bone spurs, nerve root compression, C3 disc bulge,C5-6 herniation (again) this time the vertebrae are toching the nerve going down my arm into the thumb, which is tingling constantly. Went to a top Neurosurgeon who said , depending on what the EMG/NCV shows tomorrow, he will decied the best option for type of surgery. It was mentioned going in the front of my neck, moving the trachea& doing a full 3 vertebra fusion w/ pins& plates& screws in the back of the neck.A another comment was a possible atificial disc that would only help one area, worst being C5/6..Another he mentioned was a foraminectomy.
    Once he mentioned plates & screw, I went blank because i also have osteoporosis & how can they screw pins/screws into weak bone? Has anyone had any of these & what were your results? Did you pain go away or did you have more problems? With a spinal fusion, can you move your nrck ok? I'm scared. Any info would be very much appreciated!! To top this all off, my son is getting married in Oct& I have another wedding in Aug 8& my best friend, after 10 yrs , finally got PG& has a baby who will be christened on Aug 9. I'm giving my future Daughter in law a bridal shower Aug 30. If the emg tomorrow shows possible nerve damage & surgery, what are the down times w. any/all thses type surgeries. I can't miss any of these, esp. my sons shower& wedding.
    Thx
  • DDD, stenosis,bone spurs, nerve root compression, C3 disc bulge,C5-6 herniation (again) this time the vertebrae are toching the nerve going down my arm into the thumb, which is tingling constantly. Went to a top Neurosurgeon who said , depending on what the EMG/NCV shows tomorrow, he will decied the best option for type of surgery. It was mentioned going in the front of my neck, moving the trachea& doing a full 3 vertebra fusion w/ pins& plates& screws in the back of the neck.A another comment was a possible atificial disc that would only help one area, worst being C5/6..Another he mentioned was a foraminectomy.
    Once he mentioned plates & screw, I went blank because i also have osteoporosis & how can they screw pins/screws into weak bone? Has anyone had any of these & what were your results? Did you pain go away or did you have more problems? With a spinal fusion, can you move your nrck ok? I'm scared. Any info would be very much appreciated!! To top this all off, my son is getting married in Oct& I have another wedding in Aug 8& my best friend, after 10 yrs , finally got PG& has a baby who will be christened on Aug 9. I'm giving my future Daughter in law a bridal shower Aug 30. If the emg tomorrow shows possible nerve damage & surgery, what are the down times w. any/all thses type surgeries. I can't miss any of these, esp. my sons shower& wedding.
    Thx
advertisement