Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain when sitting

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Lower Back Pain
I've had "sitting" pain for almost six years now. I've had back surgery, fusions, which did no good. I've had abulation of nerves around sacrum and SI which did no good. I've had many injections, etc. which did no good. I cannot sit for more than 10 minutes without severe pain. I stand all the time now. I was able to lie comfortably until recently, but my latest MRI showed buritis on both the right and left hip. I cannot lie on my back, and now lying on either side hurts also. Please tell me you've had the same problem! I have no leg pain. Any suggestions? Thanks :''(
advertisement

Comments

• have this pain but it comes from my facet joints. The rhizotomy has given me the best relief to date. Have your docs offered any suggestions as to what could be done? Are you on any type of pain meds?
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. all i can offer which you did not mention is exercise and stretching. it has been a life saver for me. perhaps a pt could help you! good luck and i hope to see you around the forum! Jenny :)
  • sandy- Yes, I too have pain when I sit and find that I am constantly adjusting my position to attempt to tolerate it. I cannot sit on hard surfaces and find that the use of a donut cushion for hemmorroids helps cushion the sitting. I also use moist heat and it helps some...take care.. :) jade
  • I'm sure you have looked for spine curvature ? I too cannot sit down too long cause of a lower spine curvature. Also herniated discs feel like they compress when I sit so i guess that makes a difference as well. Best of luck sorry to hear about your suffering
  • Hi Sandy,

I too have pain when sitting. It started about 6 months after my 2nd fusion, which was L1-L5. The surgeon says the SI joint is probably inflammed, since it is the first articulating joint below the fusion. I am doing acupuncture (no relief yet) and just had an injection which helped since my butt was numbed. Of course it was temporary. Next step is (yet another) cortisone injection but I have never had much luck with them. Its very frustrating and I can relate to your frustrations. I find heat helps, I have something called a Bed Buddy that you put in the microwave and then it wraps around your back.

Prolotherapy, extensive physical therapy, rhizotomy (2), acupuncture, many cortisone injections, laminectomy L4-5, 360 fusion L4-5, fusion L1-L5 to prevent scoliosis from getting worse (which I did not have prior to getting knocked unconscious by an out of control snowboarder, which was the cause of all my back problems).

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • I have found the only things that help me is of course constant readjusting, a lumbar pillow, ice pack (never leave home without it)I can usualy ride for 10 minutes before the pain sets in. I have to set bent over as if to tie my shoes, while ridding in our van, or up in the window to relieve the pressure. My NS and Pm have suggested a 2 level fusion and 2 total disc replacements to relieve the pressure from my lower spine. I am tired of the fatigue and putting up with this pain for the last several years. ambian cr and norco to sleep.
  • I'm so sorry to hear about your problem, as I had the same kind of problem. Yes I realise this thread is a very old one but it popped out when i tried to find people who might have gone through the same7similar as i did
    .I had no chance to even try to sit without severe pain in my SI-area. Finally it got so bad that i was already waiting to be operated. Luckily (well now I can say luckily 'cause now i know better, but back then it seemed like a punishment...) my MD wanted me to try yet another physiotherapist. And man I'm so glad i went to see Wendy!! She made me try out a Finnish (or Swedish, anyway a Scandinavian :) innovation called Salli-chair. I couldn't sit on that either for long, but I _could_ sit on it! It felt like a victory!
    When I changed my work table and chair for those Wendy recommended, I gradually started healing. You can email me if you want to discuss more, but you can also get more info about those funny-looking chairs here xxx
    For me that salliseat made a difference and i sincerely hope they or smthg else will do that to you, too!

URL's Removed
    EDITED

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Moderator Dave
  • :/ HI IAM A NEW COMER TO THIS FORUM. I TOTALY UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR FEELING I ALSO CANT SIT FOR LONG HAD 2L5 AND S1 FUSIONS 2007 AND 2009 STARTED HAVING LEG PAIN 3 MONTHS A GO PAIN DR SAID I MOST LIKLEY HAVE NERVE COMPRESSED HAVING MRI ON TUESDAY.IT REALLY SUCKS BEING IN PAIN ALL THE TIME ITS HARD TO KEEP GOING SOME DAYS YOU SHOULD SEE IF YOU COULD GET MRI REALLY HOPE YOU FEEL NETTER SOON
  • hi I am you I cant sit, lie down,justt stand
  • I would get inflamation in my lower back from sitting. I fought this for so long....tried everything. Finally I was sent for a trainnig class at work, these situations always caused me alot of problems. They had these chairs that seem to take the load off my lower back. I have since bought 2 of these, one for work and one for home.
    I found the company on-line(Herman Miller), but not the exact chair. I had gotten the model# from the one in the class so they were able to order me one. MODEL# WC420PBKBKY7BK6V0
    Good luck...hope you find some relief.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.