Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

G's finally going to PT

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
so my PLIF 2 level fusion was July 9th. then I had the MRSA-HA infection and surgery on August 1st. then I had the third surgery August 19 (the incision was still draining 2 weeks after the surgery & they were concerned with more infection). last friday I finally started PT. I've been to PT several times in the past decade. this PT girl seems sooo knowledgeable. so smart, compassionate, and we totally clicked. I'm so thankful for all that.
the depressing part was how messed up my right leg is after so many years of a bad back. and even my good leg she says has issues. I couldn't believe the things I couldn't do with my right leg. she told me I will need 4 months of PT. 3 times a week, 1.5 hours each time for the first month and then we'll cut back to twice a week. I've NEVER gone for so long. everything she asked me to do with my right leg, hip hurt. I tried to be a big girl and listened without getting emotional. it wasn't til she asked me what my goals were that I started to cry. I want to be able to walk pain-free is how I started. I want to be able to go out to eat with my husband and not hurt. I want to be able to go to church, to a movie. she asked me about my job. I used to be a reporter/anchor. I had to quit after my double laminectomy (4 months after) cuz I couldn't handle the driving every day and the pain and the meds and having to go "live" with all those issues. I miss my job terribly. now I work from home as an editor. it's a wonderful situation right now and it pays well. but it's not something I love. so yes, I told her I'd love to be able to do that again. and then I told her anyone that knows me knows how much of a passion running was for me. and that I haven't run since June of 2006. I told her I was afraid of even going there in my mind. as in dreaming I could run again. my husband was the one that asked her if she thought I'd be able to run again. he said if he knew it wouldn't hurt me, he'd support me 100% since he's well aware of how wonderful a part of my life that was for me. she said if my body aligned like a normal person's body should after several months of treatment, I would have her blessings to run again. I couldn't believe she said that. she went into detail of what would need to happen. she talked about degrees and bones and muscle. I don't remember much except thinking, wow, I might be able to run again.

I have soooo much work ahead of me. I start tomorrow. I'm not afraid to work hard, but I know it's gonna be tough. and after all that's happened the past two months, I know it's going to have to be one day at a time or it will get overwhelming.

but, by the first of the year, I could be a brand new woman. strong. flexible again.

I'm encouraged. I'm scared. but I know this long journey finally has a light at the end of the tunnel.

today, my husband had the BRILLIANT idea of giving me my vanco treatment outside under the warm sun. it's a 1.5 hour treatment and I KNEW I could sit in one of our loungers with two pillows and not hurt (huge improvement-- I couldn't have done that before my fusion). so I was out there with the machine watching my husband and my kids play in the pool. it was sooo good to be outdoors and not in my bedroom. later, I waterproofed my arm and worked out my legs for 20 minutes in the pool. I felt pain free. as soon as I got out, it hurt to walk again. it's amazing how good my body feels in the pool. but, even pre-surgery, I couldn't use my right leg in the pool. so! I know this fusion has worked! I am on the path to true recovery.

so... please wish me luck as I tackle PT for the next four months. I pray I will be strong and my body will literally take on a healing transformation as this PT girl teaches me and guides me through all the exercises.

again, I've rambled. thanks for reading. :)
advertisement

Comments

• Good luck with your pt...take care....
  • G, Congratulations on progressing to PT! It is a big step up for you, and I can tell you are approaching it with a positive attitude which is sooo important. Keep up the positive thoughts and best wishes for a full recovery, Sue
  • Thanks, Sue & Bigcat.
    I survived the deep tissue massage today. oh boy. I thought it'd be the exercises that would hurt bad. those were nothing compared to her digging into my shins, my hams, my thighs, etc. wow! I'm sure many of you can relate!
  • I am so happy for you. Your are an inspiration now.

Enjoy the agony. No pain no gain- right? You sound like a fighter and I am sure you will be running and reporting again.

>:D<

Julie
  • wow, an inspiration? not sure I've earned that yet.
    before my infection post-surgery... I was actually thinking about trying to get back to reporting this fall. then that happened and I realize my health has to be my focus for a while before I try to tackle on any other huge thing. So... as far as running or re-starting my career, it can wait a little while longer. I want to be strong. I want to be able to play hard with my kids. I want to be able to jump on a trampoline again. roller skate with them. stuff like that. :) one thing at a time. but wow, if there's a chance I can run again, oh yeah... it will be awesome. and to love my job again... that's what I'm talking about!
advertisement