Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Wish me luck!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Stop Smoking
Hi all,
Well surgery is Sept 17th. Revision of my PLIF from Sept 9th of 2007 do to non fusion.
Iv smoked for like 24 years. Sometimes heavy, sometimes not. Lately the last month or so very heavy. Nerves I guess.
So I decided the best way for me to go is stop the morning of surgery.
Or the night before whatever happens.
Then being in the hospy for 4 days well should be the get started button.
Chantix is not a option as I already have bad nightmares everyday. So I am not even going to take the chance.

I'v only started smoking when I come from the hospital due to the pain meds (make me crave so bad) and being bored.
Hubby will quit with me. No problem there. He has done on his own before for 4 yrs.

Plus I figured with oil prices, needing a new couch, new truck payment its time!!!! plus the calcification they found in feb on my belly cat scan..

Ok enough rambling.. I will be posting more when the time comes.. Just wanted to get a head start!!!!

Good luck to all trying or have already done it!! =D> =D>
advertisement

Comments

• I had my last smoke on the way to the hospital on June 25th. I also had a few things on my side, Chantix was one of them. The other was recovering at my sisters then brothers for 3 weeks where no one smoked. I think that was the biggest help, not being tempted seeing someone else smoke.

I wish you the best of luck!!!!! It is NOT an easy thing to do.

Take care,

Yvonne
  • You can do it... Its hard and it will be tough but you should get a good start in the hospital,,, Good luck with your surgury I am 2 weeks tommorow... I quit smoking 10 years ago and it was one on the hardest things I have ever done, but it can be done and you will do it.. Your in my thoughts,,, Cyndi
  • Thank you to the both of you it is totally appreciated.

I just figured out the money that is being spent as of now.
    $ 400.00 a month!!!!! sometimes more if we go over 1 pack like myself the last few weeks.

So I just sit here and think where else that money is more useful during these tuff times for all of us with economy issues and it makes for more plesent thoughts for the future!! $4800 more for the truck payment, kids, groceries, heat you name it!!!!!

I think I can, I think I can. I KNOW I CAN O:) ;) ;)
  • I have saved $464 so far!!!! Talk about incentive!!!

I'm to cheap to go back to smoking. :)
  • Yeha!!!! Yvonne!!!

Keep saving hun and we will all go on a CRUISE!! <:P <:P <:P <:P
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,714
    Terri, I'm wishing you the best of luck in
    #1 - Your Surgery on the 17th
    #2 - Stop smoking.

I haven't posted on this thread because my smoking days are long long ago. I havent had a cigarette in over 25 years.
    It was cold turkey for me, but for me, it was a battle of mental will power and not giving in... Well, 25 years ago, I had a lot more inner strength L)

But just looking at the prices of smokes. Oh @) When I was smoking a pack cost about 75 cents.

Oh and I had to walk to school up hill both ways, did homework by candlelight, TV's werent invented, etc, etc ,etc
    O:)
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • With the smoking and your upcoming surgery. Let us know how you are doing

Erin
  • Oh blah blah blah Ron now you sound like my Grandfather =)) =)) =))
    I walked 5 miles in snow with barefeet in the snow :* :* :* :* :* :*

No seriously thank you for your response Ron!! Means alot to me >:D< >:D<

Erin also thank you very much ;)
    I will need all the help I can get on this one believe me!!!
    Of course me drugged, in pain no matter what from people that know me from last year I WILL BE on the computer the day I come home posting ;) ;) :D

Just dreading the longer surgery this time but hey thats a longer nappy dreaming about being in St. Thomas with cabana boys waiting on me =))
  • Good luck with the surgery and smoking. My mom quit cold turkey 10 years ago and never looked back. Wishing you the best! :)))
  • Terri,

I hope you can sneak your pc into hospital and give us a report as soon as you are able.

Be strong. I'm off on 24th so will miss you I expect but will check in as soon as I can.

Big Hugs. I don't envy your smoking cessation - I quit 4 years ago, was a 20 a day lass. Just think of all the ongoing damage to your body, back and lungs. You have been given a second chance, take it with a smile. I used nicotine relacemnt sweets (were quite chalky) but they gave me the "hit" when I craved bad, and I was taking about 6 sweets a day, no where near the 20 you would expect. >:D<

How are they going to repair your non fusion - I am curious cos I am in same boat. I am dead scared to come around on 24th to discover a confirmed 2 level non union (It could only happen to me!) and i need to go back AGAIN! So, I am wondering how the repair works? One of my Infuse grafts has backed out and is sitting in my spinal canal. lol.

Lots of friends thinking of you in Cyberspace. take care
advertisement