Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

i apologise in advance

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all, i must aoplogise in advance for this rant, but i must vent my frustration!!!!! I am 12 wks post L5/S1 pilf, and for first few weeks was doing great, all leg pain gone, and just a bit of back pain, O M G it has all come back with a vengence, and now it is worse than before and pain down both legs rather than just the left, i have been back at work now for 3.5 weeks just on light duties and i only do 17.5 hours a week so i did not think it would be a problem, but even walking around quicker than a snail is agony but people at work seem a little un concerned even a little miffed that i am not back to normal yet,and that i can not do things i used to, and i am also peed off that the girl who is my co-worker who i trained and has only been doing job 2 yrs rather than my 5 yrs is now consulted on things before i am, i understand it is cos i have been off a while and i can't do as much as i used to but it does not make me feel any better.
Another thing is..my medication either makes me sick, or gives me insomnia, and the milder ones do not work!!!!! oh i am so bummed right now, i do not know what to do, one thing i know is i can not be off sick again as i can not afford not to be in work right now....... i am so sorry for the long rant, but i worry my hubby enough but he does not really understand..... THANKYOU SO MUCH FOR LETTING ME RANT AND RAVE, IT HAS HELPED JUST GETTING IT OUT X X CLAIRE X X
advertisement

Comments

• claire- No need to apologize for venting as that is needed sometimes. Hang in there and hope work get easier.. :) jade
  • Hi Claire

I know what you mean about work.

I was off for 4 months last year and returned in Jan this year. 9 months on and I'm still only managing 5.5 hours a day with a 3 hour break for rest and exercise in the middle.

While off my duties (service and contract management) was split between two others. I was a level above them and am now one below. Getting the responsibility back after a long absence is hard, but as I'm not 'Fixed' and may have another period off, I can't really complain.

I just thank God my employer (financial IT company) is supporting me thru this and when I am there I do anything to keep busy and keep my job

• Hi Claire, I wish there was something I could do for you but the only thing is to send you big gentle hugs and hope things improve soon.
    You are frobably just feeling frustrated at the slowness of it all and so many of us can empathise with you.

What do you enjoy doing that you can at this moment. I think it is time for you to treat yourself to something like a movie etc just to escape for a while.
    I have seem Mama Mia 3 times now and get a seat up the back so I can get up as necessary and just sing along as it is such an easy fun movie. Anything like that fancy you?

Blessings Sara
  • Mama Mia - I'm a back-row movie junkie too!! LOL!! =)) Been to it twice, and a few other movies since surgery ;) Just take that back row, middle of the week, middle of the day and I can even lay down across several seats due to the moveable armrests - oh and the next seat that is in the 'up' position, doesn't make a half-bad head rest either.

Okay, back to the topic - sorry top hijack your well deserved rant Claire...

I am really scared about going back to work myself. I caught a lot of flack for just showing up at work and talking to my co-workers - makes me not want to go back, but there is that thing called money - and I need some of it in a bad way, you know to like, to live, you know?

I just hope I can handle a PT schedule and work schedule and single mom schedule (DH is in Iraq - big loss of income for us too) when I get released.

Best of luck and we'll listen anytime you need to let of some steam.
  • Yes my dear you CAN RANT, SCREAM, YELL ETC Just do not throw anything at us because it might hurt =))

It is hard. This is a tuff surgery you just went through.
    Your still early out its only been 3 months. Your body is still healing from the trauma of the surgery itself.

I just want you to hang in there. Don't go overboard and go by your Drs. instructions. You do not want to cause yourself more physcial pain. ;)

Stay postive and strong!!!!!
    Terri >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • To me you're superwoman; you're doing what you can and don't let no one push you beyond your limitations. Or even try to give you slack at work because of your condition. Your back might be out, but your mind is as sharp as ever, and you know more and have seniority than that other co worker.
    It's normal to have set backs, I had a TLIF around the same time you had surgery. I can't say that I feel better yet; it was the steriods that rescued me last flare. I'm waiting to finally start therapy real soon, and hope it doesn't make things worse for me. Today I don't feel too good and have been in bed most of the day. I am amazed that you can do what you're doing at this point. Remember everyone's got different things going on, and I know it's hard not to compare yourself to others. :)
  • Claire if you are having sudden worsening pain now I'd be putting a call into my doc if I were you. Something may be compromised. In the mean time ice or heat and hang in there I hope you feel better soon.
  • 12 weeks out from surgery, you were doing OK, and suddenly the pain is worse than before, down both legs instead of the one? hmmm Of course, I'm no doctor, but I would be calling one, because that would be disturbing to me.

And yes, as others have said... vent, rant & rave to us. I don't respond to members as often as I should, but a lot of the good people here do. I just don't know what to say most of the time. Poor excuse, I know.

Sorry for your pain, hope you get to feeling better soon.

Glenda

• What did you do to make the pain come back? Do you know? I have been doing so well and I am trying to avoid over doing it. I do not work-as I am on disablity. I have been walking a lot-is there such a thing as too much-does anyone know?
  • thankyou all so much for replying to my rant, i think you are all brilliant people, do not know what i would do without this site x x x i am just gonna take it easy and do things at my own pace, and if i am no better will call my doc, see if i can get an appointment (although at my doc waiting list is 3 weeks, and no just turning up at end of surgery) . I am feeling a little better in myself, was just having a REALLY bad day on monday, really low and sorry for myself, so THANKYOU ALL x x x xx claire x x x x
  • Hi Claire:

I didn't have to return to a job after my TLIF nearly a year ago, so I didn't have to make that transition. I do know that recovery from back surgery is a slow process. I think you went back to work early, even working part time. You just have to do what you can and don't overdo it. People who haven't gone through back surgery just don't GET IT! You can vent all you need to, we are here to "listen". First and foremost, take care of yourself!

Ellen
advertisement