Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Oxycodone being discontinued?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 51,465
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Pain Medications
I've been taking Oxycodone 80mg, 4 tabs daily for over 5 years and it has worked exceptionally well for me. I recently attempted to switch over to Methadone 10mg/day but side effects made me feel like I wanted to jump off the highest bridge I could find. I'm on Medicare with a supplemental policy through AARP and have paid only $7.00 per month for this generic form of Oxycontin. Now I understand that the manufacturers of generic Oxycodone intend to cease making this medication. Oxycontin will cost me over $600.00 per month. How can a drug manufacturer (the one making Oxycontin) force another manufacturer to stop making the generic form of the only pain reliever that works for me without causing me to consider suicide? :W This is just one more incidence of how far our drug companies have been allowed to go to control our lives and needs. Our only hope of controlling the health system in this country is to elect an administration which will make it a priority to fix this broken system. If you care about your present and future health as well as the health system your children will inherit, please cast your vote this November for ABC and XYZ

Edited by Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health Administrator 09/09/08 to remove political candidates names
advertisement

Comments

• I can't imagine any company discontinuing the manufacture of oxycodone, besides that, aren't there numerous companies that manufacture this med? And, what does ABC have to do with anything???

Edit by Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health Administrator, 09/09/08 to remove political names

• 1 post and starting a political debate, no thanks.
  • I understand you are frustrated but don't take it out on the other poster. She is correct both ABC and XYZ have problems with Pharmaceutical companies.

Oxy is off patent which means any company make it. It would just take a look and see what is happening. I just got my script filled today (90 pills..4mg) and it was $10. Also you may want to think about 80mg is a really high does and after five years of any medicine (especially a narcotic) you are going to have to wean yourself off or have really bad side effects.

I wish you luck..but i don't think you should have any problem getting this product.

Angela

Edit by Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health Administrator, 09/09/08 to remove political names
  • PART 1:

IMPAX acknowledges validity, enforceability and infringement of Purdue Pharma’s OxyContin patents

Stamford, CT – April 2, 2007 – Purdue Pharma L.P. of Stamford, Connecticut and IMPAX Laboratories, Inc. of Hayward, California have agreed to end their lawsuit concerning certain Purdue Pharma patents on OxyContin® (oxycodone HCl controlled-release) Tablets. Under the terms of the settlement agreement, IMPAX Laboratories acknowledges that Purdue Pharma’s OxyContin patents are valid, enforceable and infringed by IMPAX’s extended-release oxycodone products and Purdue agrees it will not pursue damages against IMPAX for past infringement. Purdue also will grant a license to permit IMPAX (through its marketing partner, DAVA Pharmaceuticals) to keep its extended-release oxycodone products on the market through June 14, 2007, with rights to resume distribution in the future of a limited amount of product for a limited period of time.

PART 2:

Purdue Pharma L.P. Announces Resolution of OxyContin® Patent Lawsuit with Mallinckrodt Inc.

Mallinckrodt acknowledges validity of Purdue patents; Purdue licenses limited sales of some generic oxycodone strengths

Stamford, CT – September 2, 2008 – Purdue Pharma L.P. of Stamford, Connecticut and Mallinckrodt Inc. of Hazelwood, Missouri have agreed to end the OxyContin® (oxycodone HCl controlled-release) Tablets patent infringement lawsuit between them in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York.

According to the agreement, Mallinckrodt acknowledges the validity and enforceability of Purdue's patents and admits that marketing generic versions of OxyContin under its Abbreviated New Drug Application (ANDA) without a license from Purdue would infringe these patents. In exchange, Purdue has agreed to grant Mallinckrodt a royalty-bearing license, ending in 2009, to sell limited quantities of generic versions of 10 mg, 20 mg, 40 mg, and 80 mg extended-release oxycodone tablets.

In the most recent decision in the litigation which Purdue and Mallinckrodt have now settled, the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York rejected claims that the Purdue patents were unenforceable because of Purdue's alleged inequitable conduct in obtaining them. In an Opinion and Order dated January 7, 2008, the Court stated, "There is no evidence of deceptive intent with respect to Purdue’s failure to disclose prior controlled-release formulations or its failure to disclose [a Purdue scientist's] affiliations, both of which were made in good faith."

"We are pleased to resolve the dispute with Mallinckrodt in a manner that respects our inventions," said John H. Stewart, President of Purdue Pharma, in announcing the end of the lawsuit. "We will continue to defend our inventions against infringers."

• Well i sure hope they don't pull the plug on it alot of angry patients will ensue
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,587
    Lets not bring the presidential candidates into this post.
    It has no bearing on the subject at hand.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Ron~*

Could you please modify the OP to remove the specific candidates he named? I, personally, find anyone endorsing a specific candidate or party on a chronic pain message board offensive. I appreciate that you put a stop to any potential discussion, but I feel that with that endorsement being left in the OP it just opens the doors for future posts to get into the political debate and surely, that's not something we want to get started here.

Thanks,
    Tanya
    I should have deleted those names to start with. It is now done. Thanks again for your help in pointing that out
  • Thanks Ron!

Like I've said before, anytime politics gets involved in anything it goes downhill...just trying to prevent that from happening to SH. I love her too much to do that to her! ;) Thanks for understanding my concern.
  • The ER of this med very expensive now. I dont have insurance, so I have to pay cash up front. Well, Im taking 20mg of Oxycodone 3x a day, and it cost around $40 for a month's worth. (my pharmacy doesnt carry 20mg tabs so I have to take four 5mg tabs) Well, my Dr wanted me to try something long lasting, so she had me try Oxycontin ER 20mg. For a month's worth, 56 tabs, $181.25!! I was told by pharmacist that they pulled their generic a couple weeks ago(something about a patent) so Im back on regular oxycodone as it is much cheaper. :)))
  • OK, I have a problem here that I've been trying to figure out. My prescription says "Oxycodone" generic for "Oxycontin". It's the 12 hour time released medication. I've often seen on this board where the two drugs are considered different. What gives? I'm confused at this point?
    Jewels, I dont know how other pharmacies handle this, but
    on my prescriptions, it says:

Oxycondone then in parenthesis Oxycontin

Then I have

Oxycodone 5mg or called OxyIR for Immediate release
  • Are they taking generic forms off the market... I just think that with so many people already taking them, that this would be harmful to a patients health, in the fact that they would no longer be able to afford the name brand?
  • I work in a pharmacy, haven't posted in about a month...

We've been out of most strenghts of the generic Oxycodone ER for quite a while. We actually have some 40's and 80's left, as these are the less common strenghts. You probably can still find somewhere that has some,if your particular pharmacy is already out. Keep calling around, especially if it will save you money; however, ALL insurance companies are treating Oxycontin as if it is a brand without a generic, which is is different from if you were choosing to get a brand while a generic is available. Call your insurance or have turn in you rx before you assume what the price will be. Most ins. companies have several tiers of drugs - least espensive generics, more expensive generics and inexpensive brands, brands without generics, and brands with generics or really, really expensive drugs (some cancer/specialy drugs fall into this last category). This varies by plan, of course. Some plans are stingier than others, and your Humana, Blue Cross plan may be different than someone elses, it depends on the "group" you are in (ie, the plan your employer has purchased). Yes the American private payor insurance program is especially complex!

Also, I see people all the time with these little Oxycontin coupons that give them 50.00 off per fill and are good for a year's worth of pills. They must come from the drug reps, ask your doc.

And Oxycontin is Oxycodone Extended Release. OxyIR or Roxicodone is the brand name for Oxycodone HCL (hydrochloride). This is immediate release, think Percocet without the Tylenol. They are not the same thing!!! The conversion is this: Oxycontin 10mg equals taking one 5 mg tablet every six hours. So, if you were to convert to generic immediate release tabs, you really wouldn't even be taking that many more pills anyway. Of course, that is assuming you take only one Oxycontin every 12 hours. Many people take it every 8 hours, so I don't know what the conversion would be. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist, as I am neither. Just a tech, but I do know insurance :)
  • my 2 cents
    oxycodone is the narcotic that is in either percocet(oxycodone) or oxycontin. on bottle it will still say oxycodone even if you are taking oxycontin. oxycontin is time release oxycodone and oxycodone ir is just percocet. it is confusing to put oxycodone on our bottles especially if we think we are taking oxycontin. if it says 20,40,or60 mg for dose then it is oxycontin, ie oxycodone 40mg=oxycontin 40mg. if it says oxycodone 5mg or 7.5 mg or 10mg then you are getting basically percocet(ocycodone)
    clear as mud? i hope i helped explain this because i was at first taken back when i looked on my oxycontin bottle and saw oxycodone-generic for oxycontin.

jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
    Here is another thread that I started to try to clear up some of the confusion about the Oxy family

The OXY Family

It can get confusing, especially when you read your prescription and then see whats on the prescription bottle.
  • I guess I'll jump in on this too. The ongoing mystery of OXYCODONE and OXYCONTIN. Oxycodone as Terror put it, is the narcotic however it too comes in immediate release strengths of 20 and 30 mg. as well as 5, and 15 mg. OxyContin which is the Brand Name for the Extended Release Oxycodone comes in many strengths that are now made by many pharm. companies. I do understand that one of those companies might be doing away with their version of the Extended Release Oxycodone. There are many more companies that make it. I had posted in another thread, the site that has all the different companies that make it and their pictures too. It is:

www.pharmer.org/imprints/narcotics#oxy

This site will show you all of the different companies that make this drug and the different strengths that it comes in. It also has Hydrocodone, Morphine, well, all of the narcotic pain meds and also the benzos too.
  • some bottles say 'oxycodone generic for oxycontin' because mine says OxyContin...thats it.
    Just my 2c.

<:P
  • RosettaStone mentioned calling around to different pharmacy(s).I don't take that kind of medication,but I was thinking that if you signed a contract stating that you would only use one pharmacy would'nt it be the pharmacists responsibility to call around for you?

When I was taking a medication my regular pharmacy ran out and I could not take the generic brand so he called around and had the script brought into his store from another store for me.I guess I took it for granted that this was standard practice.
  • CII drugs can't be transferred between stores, which sucks because you can't help customers out or get rid of overstock. At least Colorado law states so. I would imagine it's actually federal, but I suppose it could vary from state to state. All other classes of drug can be interstore transferred, but not CII's.
  • Oh ok-T/Y for that... :)

Too bad though.... :/

That's a shame for the people that take that script.I hope they sort it out soon.
  • one way not to become confused with oxy, etc ask the pharmacist what you have and how much to take. usually they will ask you if you want a pharmacist to talk to you when you get a script. ask them then. hopefully they can answer, but i had one who thought oxycontin ir came in 10mg dose and i had to tell him only 5mg. this guy had a degree. i won't say what pharmacy i have problems but it is a ...g ...g way before i go back and i will take the ...g way home.

jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • I have been paying $20 a month for brand-name OxyContin ever since my pharmacy ran out of the last of the generic (I used to only pay $10 for generic). As someone posted earlier, often an insurance company will charge you a lower rate for a brand name IF a generic is not available. HOWEVER...last week when I got my scrip filled, the price had suddenly gone up to $23.67. I called my insurance company, and they said that the generic for OxyContin had been re-released, and because I "chose" the brand name over the generic, I was being charged a "penalty". I called my pharmacist who was completely unaware of any re-release. He called his wholesaler who told him that they had not received word of a re-release of the generic Oxy, either. But my insurance company insists it's available, so I am stuck in the middle. Why should I have to pay a penalty for something that no one but the insurance company seems to think is available? I am aware of the patent lawsuit resolution, and that it said generic Oxy would be available in "limited quantities...later this month", but there is nothing anywhere on the internet about that date, whether it's actually available as we speak...anything. Advice anyone? (and before anyone says anything, I am aware that $23.67 is still insanely inexpensive for brand name Oxy, but it's the principle...I'm tired of being nickled and dimed by insurance companies, doctors, hospitals...I KNOW you all know what I mean. ~X(
  • a generic was approved for Mallincrodt by the FDA during the last week of July, this year/2008, as time release, generic for oxycontin, in 10, 20, 40, and 80mg strengths ONLY. If you have another strength, there's no substitute right now. It might take a few months for this generic to hit the shelves. That does not mean it is available to order yet, especially at pharmacies like rite-aid, etc. These places sign long term contracts for months or a year or more to buy their drugs at special prices. Some of them might be locked into *not* being able to get the new generic when it's on the market. A mom and pop pharmacy would typically not have such restrictions. Call around, don't ask if they have it in stock, they'll give you the cold shoulder, just ask if they can order it from Mallincrodt yet. I haven't asked a pharmacist yet cause I've never seen a drug move from approval to my hand in less than two months.. good luck!
  • I have an update for anyone who's interested. In my last post I was lamenting the fact that I was being charged a penalty for getting name brand OxyContin, even though the generic has not been re-released yet. WELL...I spoke to my insurance company and argued my point. I was told that the generic is not actually scheduled to be available until late next month, so they emailed my RX provider, changing the wording of my coverage to say that the generic is not available and that I should not be charged a penalty. What is interesting is that they wouldn't just change the wording across the board for all their clients. I was told each person would have to call and make the same request I did...IF they notice that they are being overcharged. So they are banking on the fact that people either won't notice, won't do the research like I did, or won't want to deal with all the hassle of making the necessary phone calls. Nice. So if you are taking OxyContin, be SURE to check how much you are being charged and make sure your insurance company is not ripping you off like mine TRIED to do to me. ;)
  • Most companies aren't going to call people and tell them they were over charged. I think that's a shame. Most people can't afford their scripts in the first place!
  • glad you got that fixed, sort of, and also VERY happy to hear that we may have a solid date for the generic that is coming up.. FINALLY!!
  • Did anyone notice, that the original poster never came back to this? When I first read this post, I was so curious what the heck it had to do with politics. I figured it was just a campaign plug.

While it has turned out to be a very informative thread, I think I was right... He never came back, never posted anything else... only one post.

:?

Just something I noticed....

Carry on with the topic :D
    Amanda, from time to time we do see someone who makes a post, and then for whatever reason they disappear.
    Thats ok, we can carry on a topic thread. But you do have to wonder WHAT was the rationale for the person making the original thread..
    Oh well.
  • yeah..

Judging a book by it's cover, I'd say that was someone who maybe is addicted to oxycontin, even if they have a prescription for a valid reason, and was really pissed about having to switch to name brand, or actually, not being able to pay for it, and as such, being forced into withdrawals. I was in such a situation of sorts with that drug, and that's a post I would have made.. man when Oxy generics went away my life fell apart. Seriously.

Sorry, that's such a downer of a reply! True though. Hope the OP is ok, and, yeah, this post attracted more than one first time poster actually, I guess the word 'oxycontin' does that.

McCloughan - Do you have any solid info on the statement you made about the new generic being available late next month? I'd love a solid news article or something, a lot of people on here who pay cash for their meds would love to know that info! I tried Mallincr.'s web page for generics, but the catalog is from February; outdated. I'll give them a call tomorrow, maybe I can contribute useful info for once =)

goodnight all, JWM
advertisement