Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Does anyone have a good story?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hi all,

It seems like everyone has had bad experiences or multiple surgeries. Anyone have a good story to share? i am looking at my second surgery and terrified based on the multiple threads here about ongoing problems.

Angela
advertisement

Comments

• Yes, we have many good stories / good outcomes here.

Here is a thread of positive surgical outcomes: http://www.spine-health.com/forum/good-news/many-successful-surgical-patient-outcomes

There are also many good stories in the Good News forum.

Good luck with your second surgery :)

Bruce
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• I like to think that mine is good,though I am 1 year out of 2nd surgery. Laminectomy at L5-S1 w/discectomy at L4-L5 in 2002. Pain again in 2007, had laminectomy at L4-L5. Its been a year and very slow recovery compared to first surgery but it has been well worth it. I still have some numbness in my toes and back seems to get tired and ache slightly but is much better than before. I do what I want and have a pretty physical job. I just need to remember to be careful at what I do, so I'm kanda glad that I still have these quirks because it always reminds me to be careful.
    I wish the best for you and try to stay poitive it really helps.

Goodluck

Rick
  • Hey there! Mine most certainly is. I'm carrying my 35+lb son, riding my horse, and on my feet 6 hours a day back to work as a full-time teacher. I'm not 100% pain-free, but I'm pretty darn close to 100% functional--and what pain I do have is so minor, it's easy to ignore.

Keep in mind, the people who stick around and post here are the ones who often have complications. People with happy endings disappear as they return to living their lives. Heck, I only recently started posting again after MONTHS of absence from here.

Read the Good News thread Bruce post. I'm in there, and several others who no longer visit SH are, too.

I was scared sh*tless when I first came here nearly a year ago, in terrible pain, because there are so many horror stories here. But there is such a wealth of knowledge--and, people are so wonderful here. Stick around and let us help you through this. :)
  • Yes please check out the link Bruce left you.

This is a newer site so of course all the old threads/postings are not here anymore.
    There is a ton of success stories!!!!! Plus alot of people that had surgery last year did not rejoin on this new site, or have moved on with their life after surgery.

My surgery went awesome!!!! My orginal pain went away.
    The only issue is I did not fuse.
    That happens to some people.
    So yes I am going in the 2nd time around...

Keep up good spirits. I wish you the best of luck with your upcoming surgery!!!!
    Not sure of your date.If you would like to post under Aug Sept surgery thread your more then welcome to. There will be a Oct/Nov one coming soon!!

>:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • My Father-in-law had surgery probably 30 years ago. He has some issues with aches and pains, but he does very well. He owned and operated numerous bars over the last 30 years. On his feet all day. I think that kept him doing well, since he retired, his problems are becoming more apparent in his day to day... you know?
  • Angela

Check out the link to my thread on the old forum.

http://messageboard.spine-health.com/viewtopic.php?id=8103

Still doing well. I would not know I have had spine issues or surgery.

Paul M

• Thank you so much. I reviewed some of the links and really appreciate the positive outlook. Lauruffian, I am pleased to see you are doing well after a repeat surgery which is what I am heading for. My fear is that I will get a second and it will lead to a third ....Also scar tissue. I have scar tissue from my first surgery and really don't feel like adding to it.

Angela
  • Angela,

As some people pointed out, usually people who are doing well are moving on, so you don't hear too much from them. You often hear from people who are in pain and need support. But it does not mean that there are no success stories. I consider mine as such, as I am almost 4 months after a three-level fusion and so far had no complaints. My surgery went well, as pain-free as possible, so I had no need for any kind of pain killers since surgery. My pre-surgery complaints of leg pain and toe and foot numbness while standing are gone. I walk a lot, drive, and little-by-little reclaim my normal life. I began fusing, but still have to watch my movements (no BLT) until I'll be completely fused.

I am glad I had my surgery, and am still amazed how much easier it was than I expected. That being said, all surgeries are different, so some people have more difficulties than others. But with a positive attitude, and a competent surgeon, there are no reasons that yours would not go equally well.

Wishing you the best,

Kin
  • Angela,

As some people pointed out, usually people who are doing well are moving on, so you don't hear too much from them. You often hear from people who are in pain and need support. But it does not mean that there are no success stories. I consider mine as such, as I am almost 4 months after a three-level fusion and so far had no complaints. My surgery went well, as pain-free as possible, so I had no need for any kind of pain killers since surgery. My pre-surgery complaints of leg pain and toe and foot numbness while standing are gone. I walk a lot, drive, and little-by-little reclaim my normal life. I began fusing, but still have to watch my movements (no BLT) until I'll be completely fused.

I am glad I had my surgery, and am still amazed how much easier it was than I expected. That being said, all surgeries are different, so some people have more difficulties than others. But with a positive attitude, and a competent surgeon, there are no reasons that yours would not go equally well.

Wishing you the best,

Kin
advertisement