Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie 3 days out of surgery

HaylieCatOwnerHHaylieCatOwner Posts: 117
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone, I wanted to introduce myself. I'm 3 days out of microdisectomy and am adjusting to life with the elevated potty and not being able to bend. I'm 41 (as of yesterday--got surgery as a birthday present) and single, currently staying with my parents till I am on my feet. I look forward to getting to know you all. The incident leading up to the surgery happened a month ago out of the blue. Attorney one day, flat on my back the next. Couldn't even sit without intense pain. It was my L1 pressing on my sciatic nerve. A month later (last Friday) I had the surgery. Doing better now, but wondering how to get my life back to normal. This forum has helped a lot.
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and and answer what questions we can. i wish you the best on a successful recovery. please don't OVERDO! that is a sure way to go back to the operating table!! i know you will follow the doctor's orders!! soon you should be able to start an exercise program to get you on your way. and walking!! so you do have work coming up. right now rest as ordered and be patient. there is a good read of successful surgeries in the "Good News" forum. good luck and keep us informed as you progress!! Jenny :)
  • I have also had microD and am very familiar with how fast the pain can hit out of nowhere. I hope that you will have a speedy recovery and be back on your feet in no time. Please keep us posted with your progress.
  • Thank you for your kind words. Everyone seems so courageous and I have learned a lot so far.

The suddeness of the acute pain and 4 weeks flat on my back threw me for a loop. I'm trying to get my sense of security back and strength back. I'm off all pain meds except for tylenol and am dealing with the little twinges of pain. My doc says the twinges are expected for a few weeks and today said the numbness in my foot could last months. Is this true? Anything I can do to improve this?

My best to everyone.
  • :) will you be doing any type of physical therapy with a professional? perhaps an exercise routine at home? maybe stretching? what does your doctor have to say about this? :? Jenny :)
  • He has me walking up to 45 min a day (I break it up into 15 min intervals) and doing some basic exercises. He said no to formal PT but said we'll increase my exercise when he`sees me in 2 more weeks. Does this sound typical? I'm still lying down a lot, but sitting more for only 20-30 min at a time. My surgery was a week ago. I'm about to be able to drive again, and I wish the numbness was gone in my right foot. It's mainly the pinkie toe and some in the heel. I actually have some pain in the ball of my foot after walking. I think I can feel enough to drive. I just want the numbness to go soon. Thanks for your feedback.
  • :) hi! :H you know recovery is such a personal issue. my rate of recovery is different than yours and on and on. i don't have the same issues you do and cannot tell you to much about that. don't push yourself to much and i still say be patient. you will be able to sit up more and more and soon you will be off in your car. i take by your name you own a cat or two? rest and take care of yourself. Jenny :)
  • Thank you for your thoughts. I am dealing with sadness as I try to put my life back together. So much I need to do but can't. And the days are so long. Yes, I have a cat who is staying with me at my parent's house while I recover. She's coping pretty well. :))) I think I would sit up more but I can't really find the right chair. Any thoughts? Lying flat just seems like the safe thing to do.
  • :) hi! i am sorry to hear you are having some sadness in your life. many of us lose ourselves as well as jobs, income, even spouses. well, i am sure you know how that is. i hear of people using the recliner and are fairly comfortable. i love to get on the bed with a stack of pillows and get comfy. I) pm me anytime you want to chat. Jenny :)
  • Hiya >:D<
    Welcome to spine health. I am still kind of new on here, but i can tell you its addictive, because people here are so nice they can also relate to all the pain and frustrations that we go through day to day. Hey check out the chat room here.

Angie x
  • haylie- I agree that recovery rates are different for different people. I hope that in the next 2 weeks you get stronger and stronger until you see the surgeon again... :) jade
advertisement