Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lexapro, Anyone take it?

J.J.GreyJJ.J.Grey Posts: 2,962
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Pain Medications
I just saw my doc today and i was having soooo many side effects on Cymbalta that he wants me to try Lexapro. Has anyone here tried it? If so what were your results? Thanks in advance for any and all input.
advertisement

Comments

• I really appreciate that info, paul. I have such low tolerances to meds that I am afraid to take anything because of the possible side effects. How long have you been on it?
  • I have been on Lexapro for a little over 3 years now. I take 20mg. I found that I break the tablet in half and take half in the am and the other half after dinner. I found if I didn't do that I would get hot flashes. My PCP said whatever worked for me as long as I don't miss a dose. About a year ago I thought I was doing so good that I didn't need the medication any more. I gradually stopped the Lexapro. My husband noticed a difference within a week of ending it. This medication has indeed saved my sanity if not my marriage. :D Hope this helped.
    Missyg
  • I have anxiety issues(BAD/TERRIBLE) and to get doctors to Rx the medicine that actually worked, I had to willingly try 5 billion other meds first. Lexapro was on of them, and was the ONLY one that had ZERO negative side effects for me. I think I took 40mg a day for 3 months or so. It didn't help my anxiety/panic/etc, but it did nothing bad to me. ALL other drugs, even the one I've settled on that works the best for my condition, have drawbacks. Anyhow, I know this isn't much info, in regards to how GOOD it works, but with all of the bad things meds do to us, this is one that I felt was pretty close to harmless if taken properly. If I ever need to take an SSRI again it would be the only thing I would consider.

• I was on 50 mg a day for a year alongside welbutrin XL, worked great.Loss of insurance came around tried prozac, found out the hard way I was bipolar.But, lexapro was great as far as no side effects that were worrisome.Depression was dealt with pretty well, ssri's have never worked for my anxiety which makes sense now.
  • For 3 years. I found it to be a wonderful drug. I had severe anxiety, and when I first started taking antidepressants, I started on celexa. That stopped working, so I was switched to lexapro. Wonderful medication. No side effects that I recall, except for the usual 3 weeks to kick in. I am on Zoloft now, but only because I couldnt take it while pregnant, mainly insurance wouldnt cover it (had to be put back on celexa) and zoloft is dirt cheap. Good luck with new med and Im sure you will really benefit from it! :H
  • i started taking it a couple of weeks ago. dont know if its the lexapro or the increased dosage of the duragesic patch but i have been having a lot of sleep issues. i hit, kick, punch, scream, jump, jerk and twitch terribly in my sleep and clintch and grind my teeth together. anyone have any ideas about that?

thanks,

karenc
  • hi i posted to you in another post but... do you take it in the AMorPM?it can really make a diff. in some people..patsy
  • well at first i was taking it before bedtime but over this last weekend i switched it and started taking it in the morning and i am still getting the same things happening.
  • just a suggestion, you could give it a day or two and see if the side effects get a little better every nite, (suggestion only) or just dont take it for a few days and see if side effects go away, (suggestion) call your doc let him know whats goin on, see what he thinks. there are many anti dep. out there and maybe one will work better for you. i do know that anti-dep. and other meds together have some goffy kinds of effects even meds you would not think would interfere can
    i myself know that ultram and other anti-dep dont work good together.. well just a few suggestions... patsy
  • You might want to check out the Lexapro at askapatient.com as I did. There were lots of folks there that had the same issues as you. Good luck and keep me posted. I took my first 10 mg tonight and I feel very strange but I am also still on the Cymbalta. My doc said do not stop the Cymbalta until I am on Lexapro for 1 week. Also if you want to check drug interactions go to the mayoclinic.com and look the med up.
  • I have been on Lexapro (20 mg) and Effexor (300 mg) for PTSD and Depression going on two years. This has been a great combination.

Prior to this I was on Paxil and Cymbalta which both suxored. :P
advertisement