Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

tiring more from walking,, rather than improving

dbullwinkelddbullwinkel Posts: 224
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
ACDF done july 31..i have started walking daily and go to pt (for my arms) twice a week. The last few days I have been exhausted....today I had to cut my walk short ( I walk just over one mile)..because I felt like I couldn't stand up. Yesterday I slept two hours after walking...I will be calling the doctor this AM due to hives ( i think from percocet) and will mention my increase fatique to him...just checking to see if this is "normal" (if there is a normal!) maybe I am expecting too much too soon?
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,715
    cause some discomfort. Walking is basically the safest and most passive form of exercise you can get. But at the same time, it takes a while to build up endurance especially after surgery. Some additional fatigue and soreness is to be expected, but if you feel there is some more to this, you should contact your doctor and discuss this.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • You do need to check with your doctor about this. If you have hives, then your body is having an immune reaction to something and that in itself can make you tired. Add to that the increase in activity then you are going to be worn out. If you find that one walk of about 1 mile is making you that tired, why not try doing 2 shorter walks with a few hours break inbetween? That way you are still walking for a mile, but not all in one go.

Good luck and I hope things improve soon. Spicey
  • Hey there dbulwinkle,

I just had my ACDF C 4-6 last Wed and I too experience a lot of fatigue after walking. I have actually already built up a really good endurance. Everyone is different though and I do agree that letting your doctor know what is happening is the best thing. Keeping those lines of communication open is the best thing ever.

In my opinion it is best to give the doc and their team of people the most information you possibly can!
    I hope you will feel better soon! Also if you need to cut back on a small amount of walking for a bit I don't see a problem with it, but again run all this by your surgeon, because I am not a doc...
    Hugs
    Chrissy
  • I have to chime in here -

at my 3 week post-op apt, my Dr. asked me how I felt after my walks. When I told him how fatigued I was, that I was walking to almost exhaustion, he very firmly told me that 'this is not some workout, take it easy, do NOT walk to exhaustion, just walk - casual and easy'

From what I understand we are not walking to build muscle or to see how far and how long we can go - we are walking to be up and moving and not just laying down the whole time. It's getting the lungs breathing deep, to prevent blood clots and to just get the circulation going - circulation that promotes healing.

I am only 10 days ahead of you and I am no where near walking a mile!! I just take walks, nature-enjoy-the-day-glad-to-be-alive-and-upright kind of walks :) I tell ya, since that apt. I am feeling much better and I am on zero pain meds =D>

Hugs!
  • Do what you can, but don't overdo it! I'm going crazy not being able to work out (I'm an exercise fanatic), but all the NS will let me do is walk. I generally walk 6 miles, or so, but a couple of days ago I was really tired and only walked 2 miles. So you really have to listen to your body.

8/2008 posterior cervical foraminotomy and foraminectomy at 3 levels (c4-c5, c5-c6, and c7-t1) with arthrodesis
    DDD and severe spondylosis at all cervical levels (except c6-c7).
advertisement