Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

question about pregnancy/childbirth after discectomy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My husband and I are planning to try to start a family soon.
I had a discectony and laminotony on L5-S1 and L4-5 about five years ago.
Does anyone know if this will affect my pregnancy in any way and I would have any problems carrying a child? Also, would I be able to deliver or more likely have a C-Section?
Also, I was doing some research online and came across some blogs about some doctors not doing epidurals on women who have had back surgery and was wondering if anyone knew anything about that as I did not plan on having a completely natural childbirth when the time came without any pain medication.

Thanks so much!
advertisement

Comments

• I had the same surgery as you 14 years ago without hardware and my spine collapsed and pointed to the left......and didn't have a baby.

Do you have hardware? Do you have lifting restrictions?

Good Luck to you.

Harry
  • That they say wait at least a year if you had BMP.

Good question.

Don't know the correct answer. sorry
  • Wow, that sounds painful. Did anything happen specifically to cause the collapse? Did the disk just give out? Do you know what the factors are that led to that happening (would having a baby grow in there cause the same kind of thing)?

Best wishes,

Haylie
  • have a fusion with hardware it shouldn't be a problem to be pregnant. The only thing I would strongly suggest is to really build up your core stability muscles. You may want to see a PT for that and get propper medical advice from them.
    I know a few women who have had back surgery (discectomy & laminectomy)and then pregnancy/s with no problems.

As for the C-section- you souldn't need it beacuse of your back but that will be up to the Dr.
    Also I have had an epidural (given by an anesthetis Dr) and it was no problems at all. Again it will depend on your Dr.
    WHy dont you go to your PCP and have a chat, he/she can advise you on the best course of action.

Blessings Sara O:)
advertisement