Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MEthadone and nothing else

MelissaJoMMelissaJo Posts: 196
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Pain Medications
:? WEll I have been on MEthadone before. IT didn't react very well with me but I think that is because of the fact that my OLD PM doc kept changing my RX's soooooooooo much. From Norco 10's to Norco with Morphine, to Norco with Oxcotin, to Percocet with Oxcotin, To Percocet with Methadone. ARG I know it is a lot.
Here is a quick run down on why my NS wants me on Methadone. I had an SI joint injection on Friday, the radiologist also told me that it appears that my L5 is cracked,fractured or broken. I have more pain in that area then my SI. It was so bad that my hubby called the ambulance to come take me to the hospital because I literally couldn't move. I felt completely paralyzed except it was all do to pain. What a horrible feeling. The EMT's were absolutly AWESOME to me. He said if I can get your pain level down to a 2 before I get you to the hospital, it would make him happy, cuz hospitals dont do anything. LOL So he diffinatly did that. MAN I LOVE THAT GUY! LOL Anyway I had called on Thursday to make sure the refill was called in by Friday to pick up on Sat or sun when it was do. The stupid nurse said she had called the pharmacy and said I had it filled every 4 days. BS!!! It was a 6 day supply so I would call a day or 2 before to have it ready. Well needless to say she never called int he refill. I had called the pharmacy and they said they had one on hold. SO i THOUGHT it was from them. I asked to have it filled and when I got there it was from my OLD PM doc! So I said dont fill it and fax my current doc with the RX he is prescribing. Again the nurse called and was rude. She left a msg becuase my phone was on vibrate and I didn't hear it. She was completely RUDE.
So lil ol me decided to type up and fax over a letter as to my concerns with how rude the nurse was, the ambulance trip, the debilitating pain I was in.
GUESS what?!?! I got a call back today! In the letter I had praised my DR's assistant. He has been so good and on top of things that I couldn't ask for anything better.
Anyway the doc wants me to go on Methadone because of the amount of Tylenol that is in norco. Which is only 325mg but when you have to take 6-8 per day to feel better then I guess it is a lot. NO I dont take that many everyday by any means!!!Usually I have extras left.
Anyway to get to my point. I cant remember how much the methadone is nor what side effects people have if that is all that they are taking. I seen one post already on the side effects but are they different when you are only taking MEthadone? Any help appreciated. ;) Thank you in advance! MJ
advertisement

Comments

• I found methadone a great and affordable pain med. And i loved the half life plus IMO it was easier to get off of than any of the heavy opiates. id reccomend it highly to anyone with pain severe
  • It works great but it will take 5 - 7 days to build up in your system enough to give you relief. Usually you are also given something else for the first week while you are waiting for the methadone to take effect. Once it does, it is very loooooooooong acting.
  • Yah I have nothing but the Methadone, so we shall see what happens. I will wait til the 3-5 day mark before comming to a conclusion. I took one last night and was not up all night thank goodness. Last time I was on it I was awake ALL night and kinda had the jitters during the day. But that might have been because I Was taking percocet or norco.
  • please heed what is being said here. It is long acting. I was on it and had to drive so i quit taking 24 hours before hand. I still wasn't able to drive. It is very long-acting med. But it worked for me better than any other. Constipation was severe! I would start with a mild laxative the day before starting.
  • LOL The doc wants me to take it 3x a day. IS that a "normal" dose?
  • been over a year since i was prescribed methadone. I can't remember if it was twice a day or 3x. Just go with docs instructions and what works for you.
  • I am starting off with 1.5-2 per day. I dont have any BT meds which I am hoping I wont need any. I am afraid of taking the 3rd dose because last time I was on Methadone I could only sleep maybe 2-3 hours. And of course it was not straight through it was broken up like 30-45 min here and there. But like I stated before it could be because of the other meds I was on on top of it. Thanks again!
    P.S> I like the Avitar
  • Thats odd methadone helped me sleep quite a bit. I guess everyones different.
  • I have no personal experience with Methadone, however on the old Spine Health there were several members that said it was related to some serious dental issues they had.

I hope that it really helps control your pain better. Glad the EMT was so cool.

What are the plans to deal with your cracked or fractured L5?

"C"
  • Methadone has a relatively huge half life so for a certain group of people, one dose a day is fine. For US, i.e. those of us in chronic pain, the pain relieving effects of methadone last for about 6-7 hours, so about 8 hours after you take it, it's still in your body as an opiate/opiod, but it's not doing anything for pain. For this reason methadone is commonly Rx'd as a twice or three times a day dose for chronic pain. For me, when I was taking 20mg, 10 twice a day, I would break them in half and take each dose of 5mg a few hours apart. I'm at my magic number of 30 now, so 3 a day is easier and helps a lot. My sleep has gone downhill but switching from norco to something else helped a lot; norco for BT keeps me wired. So yes, 3 times a day is normal, and probably preferred.
  • I think I have adverse reactions to my meds. Norco and Percocet I would get a wired feeling. Now with the Methadone I am getting a wired feeling also. The doc RX'ed me 1-5mg tab 3x per day. I am only taking 1.5-2 per day. I take 1 in the am and depending on my pain level I take 1/2 to 1 around 1 or 2pm. It is helping with the pain though which is great. The downside of it taking my pain level down is that I feel good, I feel a little wired and then I think I over do it during the day. I am a stay at home mom, so there is always stuff around the house that needs to be done. Whether it is inside or outside. I am extremely sore this morning so I know that I over did it yesterday. But yet I really didn't do that much, just a lot of bending over. I did a lot of laundry yesterday since my hubby got all of the winter clothes down from that attic and they all of course needed to be washed. Today I am going to take it easy. I will still do my morning and nightly walk but that is about it.
    When it is time for me to go to bed I still feel a little wired feeling. So I lay in bed watch TV for a bit and try to relax then crash out. I feel like a newborn baby when it is time to sleep though cuz, every 1.5-2hrs I wake up and it takes a bit to fall back to sleep. I dont have anything that helps me to sleep at night. I need to talk to the doc about something to help me sleep at night and the way that this methadone is making me feel.
    I guess another question would be, can or do you build up a tolerance to Methadone? I know i have built up a tolerence to the short acting meds.
  • Hello all...new to this site today.I was reading your comments and decided to ask for help.I feel like crap with everything i have going on.I fell about a month ago and cracked two ribs fractured my pelvis and have had terrible pain in my right leg along with pain in my behind.I had a MRI that shows bulging of L3-4 and 4-5.I have never had so much pain and have never really been on any pain medications untill now.My dr. put me on lortab 10/325 mg.I am scheduled for epidural injection next monday but i am in so much pain.The meds she has me on are not working and i am afraid and ashamed to call the office to tell them this.I need a medication that will help me.I cannot go on for a week untill the epi feeling like this.Please,if someone could offer me advice with this.What medication could i take to help? etc... Thank you kindly,Matti.
advertisement