Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical Surgery in 2 Weeks, Help

mrleemmrlee Posts: 67
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I just had a double fusion for L4, L5, L6, & S1 June 24,2008.
Now I been told I need a double fusion in my neck for C3,C4,C5 and C6. The doctor said he would also add a metal plate.
Can anyone help explain what is about to happen?, Why?, and what to expect after surgery. I must admit, I'm quit nervous about this event. All responses would be greatly appreciated!
advertisement

Comments

• I just had a double fusion for L4, L5, L6, & S1 June 24,2008.
    Now I been told I need a double fusion in my neck for C3,C4,C5 and C6. The doctor said he would also add a metal plate.
    Can anyone help explain what is about to happen?, Why?, and what to expect after surgery. I must admit, I'm quit nervous about this event. All responses would be greatly appreciated!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok first off hi!!
    I would ask your surgeon how he is going to do the surgery.
    1.Is he going to do it through the front or the back.
    2.Are you going to have a soft or hard collar.
    3.How many days can you expect your hospital stay to be.
    4. How long does he think recovery would be with just having a lumbar fusion done.
    5.How long should you wait to have the surgery.

As for the question on why? There is no answer for that from us. Did you have a injury at all? Have you had problems in the past with cervical issues???

My answer for why. I ask it all the time. It's sometimes just things that happen to us in our life...

Out of all the surgery I have had in the past. I will say my cervical was the easiest. BUT I only had 1 level done.
    Your having 3 done at the same time. I also have a metal plate and have full movement of my neck.
    I imagine others will be coming along soon that can give you more personal advice on multi level fusions of the neck.

I can say it was rough the first 2 weeks. I had problems swallowing. So I was on liquids and soft foods. I had alot of muscle burning in the sides of my neck and shoulders.
    I did alot of walking. Which helped so much as you know from being a lumbar patient.
    My hospital stay was only 36 hrs. Due to my issue with swallowing. Otherwise I would of left in 24.

I did heavy lifting at work so I was not allowed to go back for 4 months.
    I did PT for a month.

I can say now 4 years later I don't even realize I had the surgery.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!!
    Terri >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<

• Thank you for being the first to respond to my questions. It looks like you have had more than your share of illness.
    I know that the surgery will be done through the front, just below the jawbone. Just one night stay at the hospital, and the Doctor said no rehab. One of his patients said this surgery would be a piece of cake compared to Lumbar Surgery. The surgery should take only 2 hours and will be using a soft collar. (My lumbar surgery was supposed to take 2and a half hours. It took five and a half hours).

I have a hi-atel hernia, acid reflux, sleep apnea and chronic insomna. I use a CPAP machine at night since I also have a narrow opening in the back of my mouth-throat. I have Essential tremors, high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol, spinal arthritis, DDD and stenosis. The double lumbar fusion was June 24th, 2008.
    The doctor told me I would not be able to turn my head as much after surgery as I can now. That's not much now. Please keep in touch and please add comments when ever you can. THANKS
  • I just had a cervical laminectomy on 4567, I was in the hospital for about 8 days, I would of been out earlier but it was in the middle of a holiday and they were not happy with the brace I had So I stayed an extra day to get better fitted,,,, I have to be in a brace for 3 months day and night..... physical therapy to start on the 4th month,,, They went through the back which is the tougher way to go, because they have to pull the muscles and nerves out the way to get to the disc......... I also had the front procedure 4 years ago and that was a walk in the park as far as this one goes........ I do heavy duty work so they wont let me go back untill I can do it without hurting myself more.......
    Make sure you have help at home
    because you will have to have a brace Im sure and its harder to get around with one of these,
    Let me know if you have any other questions,
    cyndi
  • well, I want to wish you the best of luck. I am probably headed down that road for surgery very soon. I was wondering if you could post your MRI results from your cervical spine. Do you have any herniations touching your cord? I have my 3rd epidural on C6/7 coming up on 9/24 and if still no relief, referral to a neurosurgon. I just like to see how my MRI compares to others where the Dr.'s are recommending surgery ;) Thanks a lot.
  • I will send the results as soon as I can find them. I think after the 2nd or 3rd epidural I would tell them I WANT to see a neurosurgeon NOW.
    Will be thanking about you. Will send MRI soon.
advertisement