Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Questions before first NS consultation

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi everybody. :H

I got my MRI results back today and they found significant bone spurs and herniation in C5-6 & C6-7, herniation in C4-5, and spondylosis (which I already knew. Obviously, physical therapy and traction haven't helped, so my doctor has recommended surgery after they saw the extent of the bone spurs. I have my first consultation with a NS next week and, although I obviously have some questions of my own, can you guys, who have been through so much, suggest any question for me to ask him that I probably wouldn't think of? Maybe you have questions that you wished you had asked before you had surgery. As an FYI, this NS came highly recommended from a guy my friend works with after he had his surgery with this NS, so I'm glad about that. I'd hate to just close my eyes and pick someone out of the phone book! :O

Thanks for any help. You guys are the best!
advertisement

Comments

• First off, get a notebook and start writting down questions that you have anytime of the day or night. You can then use those to help focus your thoughts and develop a list of things that you are worried or concerned about.

Some typical questions are
    - what can be repaired and what can't
    - what kind of limitations will I have
    - how long of a recovery time do you expect
    - will I require PM support after surgery
    - will this require hospitalization and if so how long
    - what do I need to do to prepare
    - how many of these surgeries have you done and with what kind of success
    - what kind of permanent damage do you feel I might have

Things like that. Hope this helps.

"C"
  • oh my gosh you sound similiar and I thought I posted a similiar question! We have similiar diagnoses! I have my first NS appt in October. I'm trying to compile a list of questions. I'm not sure they'll recommend surgery. What sort of surgery are they going to do?
  • "C", thanks for your list of questions. I agree about the notebook and have one at the ready.

Curly, I haven't seen your post but very interesint that we have similar diagnoses. I'm not 100% sure that my NS will prescribe surgery, but my PCP said it will have to be done. I don't want to try a bunch of stuff just to postpone surgery. My feeling is that if it has to be done, let's do it and get on with life. I sooooo look forward to living pain-free. Why so long for your NS appt?
advertisement