Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF Sept.12,2008 anyone eles!!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Well, I have my surgery this Fri and it is kinda scary. One level ACDF with cages, plate and screws. This site has helped me out a lot. I am just hoping to be able to sleep in bed with the wedge thing I put together. It will be getting in and out of bed more likely.
Plus I hope I get a better med. then what I have now too. I'm taking percocet and it barely touches my pain. I was rea-ended last July and things just has't inproved so my NS said surgery, I even went for a second opioion and he said the same thing. I have the Best NS in Northeastern Indiana so I know things will go Great and plus put my FAITH in the LORD!! Don't forget the bendy straws they say are a MUST!!
advertisement

Comments

• Is it really hard to remember to keep your posture straight and neck still? Can you drive in a car and go visit family?I will do my best and get back on here soon after my surgery. Right now just sitting here my left shulder is on fire. I just can't wait to get rid of this pain. I want to get back to exercising too. My NS said I should be able to get back to exercise after 8weeks, so I hope I can and heal in good time.
  • Hi Browneyes,
    Good luck on your surgery. Mine will be on Sept 17th...ACDF A3 through A6 with titanium screws and plates. There is a thread on here with all the August/Sept surgeries listed. Check it out and post your information there.
    LJ

herniated discs at C3/4, C5/6, C6/7, all the fun arthritic bone spurs etc to go with. Numb finger tips both hands for last 6 months with pain radiating in hands up arms into neck and shoulders sometimes. DDD and other spine stuff that includes very old injuries to lower back that I have just lived with for over 30 years. Would be nice to ever sleep though the night.
  • I hope this surgery provides you with the relief you deserve. Best of luck to you! :)))
  • I have my surgery Friday the 12th too. I too am very nervous, I am having ACDF C4-5 C5-6 with metal. This site has really made me feel better. I wish you the best of luck and I will say a prayer for you and be thinking of you Friday morning. We can go thru this together when you are able let me know how you are doing. My worse pain is the headache I have suffered with these since I was 17 I am now 44 so I can't wait for the pain to go away. You will be in my prayers Tammy
  • Your more then welcome to post under our surgery club like LJ mentioned. Lots of ACDF's there. Aug/Sept surgeries.
    Plus I started a recovery thread for those months also.
    So much easier to keep up with everyone in one thread. ;)

I had a 1 level in 04. Easiest surgery I went through.
    Comparing to all the other times I was cut open.

Its a rough go sometimes for a few weeks. Alot of burning, which nothing works except ice packs. As your muscles and nerves are healing. Swallowing so stick to soft foods or liquids. LOTS OF CHOCOLATE SHAKES :$ :D :D

Its difficult to get a comfy sleeping position but that comes in time. Also makes a difference whether your going to have a soft or hard collar.

It was not hard for me at all to keep straight posture with the collar on. I did ALOT of WALKING with this surgery as the rest of my body worked at the time ;) Ya heal alot faster.

As for meds personal experience I had only 5mg hydro's when I went in. After they worked fine. They did not before hand.
    But ya have to remember they are trying to fix the orginal pain. So you may do ok on your percs. Depending on what dosage your on now.

Now that Im having a revision of L5-S1 plus a extra level well those hydros won't work the first few weeks so I will have my percs in hand.

Please check out our other posts.
    I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK FRIDAY!!!!

Terri >:D<
  • kentuckylady: I am so glad to have someone like you to go throught his with me. I will be be praying for you too Fri. morning and keeping you in my thoughts. It is so SWEET to have all these wonderful nieghbors to help us throught it too.
    angela: I'm hopin for that relief too and thier are a lot of you guys out here where this has helped. So I have a lot of Faith in this surgery.
    TerriJV: Thanks for heading me to the Aug-Sept surgery i went there and posted too. Your story you told me here was great. You having the level one and it was the easiest you went through. Yea I know recovery is a little rough, but thanks to you and all the others helped me to see that, and know what to exspect.
    So with all that I will come back here to see if anyone popped in plus I will be on the Aug/Sept surgeries a lot, then will head over to the recovery and hope to see kentuckylady there with me.
    Once again will have you in my prayers and along side me Friday morning kentuckylady.
    My Prayer are with CRASH21 today as his surgery is today. Hope all is well for him.
    Donna
  • Just reading through your post. I want to share with you that although it feels overwhelming before surgery, it does get better. I had ACDF C5/C6 fusion 12/06, and found some real help with a part of my pain levels. The surgery helped me particularly with my neck feeling much stronger,(felt like a bobble head b/4 surgery). Although I have not gotten rid of all my pain, I am much better off with the surgery than if I had tried to struggle through on my own. Good luck to you!
  • Thanks so much for you thoughts. Mine is going to be on C4/5 with a donor bone and metal plate. I'm not sure what they call that new bone. Yea I can't stand what I go through now, and glad to hear you are happy with your sugery. Thanks
  • Tomorrow is my big day so I have a lot of things to get around yet. So I will come back as soon as I can get myself going. Thanks for all of you who stopped in, and wished me the best.
  • I wish you the best! You will be in my thoughts & prayers. I hope you are both back here soon! Take care & post when you are up to it as a lot of us will be axiously waiting to hear from you.
    Hugs
    Kim
  • Hi Browneyes145,

By the time you read this in the forum, your surgery will be over. Wonderful and looking forward to your return to the forum to share with us.

Wish you sucess and speedy recovery.

Cheers !
    Kayano
  • Best of luck to you! I wish you a good and speedy recovery! GOOD LUCK!
  • Sorry I am late with a reply. Had my two level ACDF with cages, plate and screws on 9/12. I am home now and doing well. I got home last night and had a good night sleep with the help of sleep aids and pain meds (doc only gave me darvoct) but so far so good. I also was injured in a auto accident (2 in 3 months). Don't worry. You will be as good as new before you know it. Now, I am only a few days into it so we will see. PM me when you are up for it. I look forward to hearing from you.
  • Just want to say Thank You for all thinking of me. I did GREAT and feeling good. Don't want to sit to long at this computer, but when i can i will write all about my surgery. It went well and fast 30min-60min I sure. So i will get back on just don't want to push myself at sitting to long her.
    CRASH is was great to hear from you too, hope kentuckylady is pulling through too.
  • Hi Browneyes145,

Good to hear your good and quick suregry and you are back home.

Stay positive and you well be back to good normal operation.

I was back to work last Wednesday and getting into the swing of things in the office.

Welcome back !

Cheers !
    Kayano

advertisement