Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How do I address this situation?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Pain Medications
So, I am on a pain contract with my regular dr. On Sept 18th, I go to see a pain mgmt dr about getting injections. My problem is, when I went to turn in the MSContin, cause it made me severely sick, (a waste of $35 for a month's worth) she wrote me a new rx for oxycodone but just until the 18th. Why do you think she did this? If this Dr doesnt deal with medicines, just injections and therapy (as most around here do, theres no real "pain dr" here) what should I do? Call my General Dr after appt and say what? I am not sure if she understands that if it is her intentions to pull me off narcotics, I would hope she would taper me off ,and not cold turkey. :SS I guess I am just freaking out. This medicine is the only thing that takes my pain away, and what if the pain Dr wont prescribe me these? I have tried Ultram (made me violently ill and no pain relief) not sure what to do here and who I should speak with about this. Should I ask the new Dr to take over my meds or ask that my general keep the contract going? I dont want to look like a drug seeker @)
advertisement

Comments

• Maybe you should ask the doc why they wrote the rx for that amount. They should be able to explain their intentions.
  • because you are seeing a PM on the 18th. That way if your PM does take over your meds then you will not be getting them from 2 docs which is illegal. IF your new PM doesn't prescribe pain meds have them write something on their letter head that states that and take it back to your reg doc. I am sure that is the reason she only gave you enough to get through until the 18th.
  • I agree that the question about the number of pills prescribed should be addressed with your doctor, but I also am wondering if she is hoping that the injections will work and you will not NEED the pain meds any longer. When you have your appointment on the 18th. I know the fear of running out of meds. Again, you should be asking these questions to the doctors.
  • I am fairly new to the forum, so don't know mom in pain's background and what the diagnosis is for your back. What did the MRI show and why won't they do surgery?
  • Maybe your PCP wants to see what the pain doctor's evaluation and recommendation is. The pain doctor will let you know if he only does injections, or if he prescribes meds. Just make sure you take your records from your PCP to your appt. They have to know about him giving you MS Contin.
    It could be that your PCP knows the pain doc only does epidurals. If that's the case, call the PCP right after the appt and see if more MS Contin can be refilled.

That way, you'll go to pain mgt for your injections, and see your PCP for your MS Contin. You will still be following the rules of your pain contract with the PCP and have no problems.
advertisement