Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Im finally Home (6 days Post of Microdiscectomy L5/S1)

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well, Im finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnell. Had my op on 04/09/08 and they were due to let me go home on Saturday 6th but due to me being very sick on the meds they gave me they kept me in for another night so was able to come out on the Sunday. Had the op done at the same time as another girl, same L5/S1 and she was 10 years younger than me, but I was up and walking loads quicker (guess being a smoker helped!!!) Then Sunday night/Monday morning was a whole different story as I was ill at the other end!!!! Seems some of the meds did not agree with me. And I lost 5lbs!!!! Im now only taking paracetomol and oramorph as and when I need it. Walked down to the local shop with my friend yesterday and Monday (its about a 10 minute walk) and couldnt believe how tired it made me. Other than that Im really pleased with how Im feeling, its uncomfortable to sit for too long so lying and standing are best for me. Off out today for a bit of shopping with my friend so feeling positive and looking at it as my mission to acomplish for today.
Weird thing was the surgeon gave me the disc pieces he removed in a tube as thought I would like to see how much he removed (he advised he removed more than he had intended because of how bad it had got!!!) so he advised I have very little of my L5 disc left!!! Amazing how something so small can cause all of that pain. However the good news is I have feeling back in my left bum cheek and in my left thigh it comes and goes and no pain down my left leg. I do get the odd muscular pain in my right bum cheek though (never had this before) guess it just where my nerves in my back were annoyed and played with that may have caused this, Im sure it will settle down soon. Staying at my friends til the end of the week then going home so will update you guys again then.

Sally-Anne xxx :H :H =D> :) :)
advertisement

Comments

• Sally, welcome to the other side! Wow, I cannot believe your surgeon gave you your disc pieces. That is crazy and very interesting. Here in the US any tissue removed has to go to pathology and then it is warehoused for many years in case of a law suit. I am so glad you are seeing improvement in your pre-op symptoms. I think the odd new pains are common, so many nerves irritated that need to settle down. I know I had new bil. hip/SI pain and spasms, but has settles down alot. I still have strange numby/sore skin on my left hip, just feels weird to touch. Wow, I wished I could have lost weight in the hospy. I barely ate for 5 days, so seems like I should of, but noooo, exactly the same on discharge, no fair! Keep up the good work and just rest then walk then rest then walk :)
  • Hey girl!!!

So glad your back home!!!
    Your up and out already??? :O :O WOW =D> =D> =D> =D>

All I wanted to do was sleep for the first week when I got home I was so looped up on meds and worn out.
    I am so very PROUD of you!! :D >:D<

Like Sue said just REST, WALK, REST, WALK AND REST AGAIN..

Gel filled re usuable ice packs are the BEST for laying down flat. I used to line them up on my back.
    I never could sleep on my side etc for like almost 2months.
    Then after I walked I would use a heating blanket to wrap around my legs. OH WHAT HEAVEN that was. I just did not let it hit my incision.
    So I am still sitting here saying WOW WOW WOW.
    Just do not over do. Go by your drs. orders and keep up the good work!!!

I would of been the chicka laying in the room next to ya not moving =))

Keep us up to date hun. I did start a recovery thread for Aug and Sept to if you want to check that out!!

Lots of hugs >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
    Terri

7 more days and counting 8} I) <:P #:S I)
  • hey sally,
    i had the same op as you back in jan08 my problem was on my right side and i too got pains in my left cheek and top of my left leg,but nothing to serious they still are there but the pain is minimal, i suppose you just learn to deal with it at the end of the day its no were near as bad as that terrible leg pain before surgery.
    i hope you dont over do it and try to relax and have a break when you feel the need to because its only you who will suffer at the end of all this!!
    i know us mums arent the best people in the world to sit down and take it easy its not in our nature but sure where would we be without our wonderful kids!!!!

take it easy girl and look after youself

LOVE PAULA
  • Hi sallyann =D>
    Please be careful with the shoping no trying clothes on remember and stuff. just browse and be careful . <:P Like you i had same opereation . Felt great for 12 days no pain , did walking , exercises kept upright and slept only at night It tires you out. Now i have the pain in bum again and same as before operation . And I did nothing wrong I don't think so.
    Anyway its early days yet still only 3wks gone, so now I wait but I am not to bad really. Be careful okay. good luck :H
  • My hubby had the micro and was painting the bedroom within 2 weeks of being post op - albeit, he WAS still on meds. I'm sure they helped with some of the overdoing it pains.

I do feel we dodged the bullet and he was darn lucky to not herniate with all that he did post op though, so do be extremely careful - you don't want to follow a microdiscectomy with screws and rods!

Be careful, but I do applaud you for doing some fun things - it makes ALL the difference in how you recover - laugh, have fun, do fun things - just as long as they are SAFE things please :)
advertisement