Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Member: StoogeFan4ever

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi,

I am a 46-year-old male who lives in Iowa. I am married, going on 18 years, with two boy’s ages 11 and 16. I enjoy sports (Bears, Cubs, Blackhawks, and Bulls) and I enjoy video games (I have never grown up). I am a software designer and developer. I am, as you might have guessed by my user name, a huge Three Stooges Fan and know their history inside and out. :)

I have had a herniated disc at C5-C6 for almost 4 years now. First, four years ago I was rear-ended in an auto accident. I had my seatbelt on but I am rather tall and the impact caused my head to go forward and up. My car was not in motion; I was waiting for an individual to turn left across traffic. The person that hit me from behind was traveling at 45MPH, which totaled my car. The resulting collision sent me into the roof of the car. Then 2-1/2 years ago, while walking out to my garage I hit a patch of ice, flipped in the air and fell on my head. The fall knocked me out cold. This seemed to do even more damage to my neck.

I have been in PT twice, which seemed to make things far worse, and have been on pain medication for 3 years. I was taking 40mg of Oxycontin twice a day along with 7.5/500 Oxycodone 4 times a day. I am down to 10mg of Oxycodone 4 times a day but I am in major pain without the medication.

I see a Neurosurgeon tomorrow and I am hoping to have surgery. I am nervous but I cannot live like this any longer. The headaches, earaches, neck pain and shoulder pain are severe and I’ve tolerated it for years now hoping for relief.

Anyway, that is my short story. I was glad to find this site. I also have problems with a disc at T1-T2 and L1-L2. So I will be here a while.

Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk

advertisement

Comments

• stoogefan- welcome to site- hope the NS appointment goes well...wow, I can still hear my brothers "ay, wise guy", "knucklehead" and assorted sound effects.. take care..jade
  • I have lower back issues but I would say three years without relief using conservative methods warrants surgery.

What video games do you play? I love them but sitting to play them for a long time kills my back.

Good luck,

Angela
  • Thank you for the warm welcome.

I play a large variety of games. On the PC I play World of Warcraft (oh how that game is addicting), Warcraft III and Civilization IV.

On the Xbox 360 I play Call of Duty 4, Madden NFL 09, NCAA Football 09, Oblivion, Gears of War and a variety of other games.

I tend to play RPGs a lot. They are relaxing and help take my mind off from pain. Plus I like medieval times and sci-fi. My wife says I have way to many interests. =D

I am eager to go to the NS tomorrow. Nervous I'll be told "Lets try this before surgery". The only surgeries I have had in my life are an appendectomy, tarcel tunnel and carpal tunnel. I have done a lot of researching on the C5-C6 fussion and I'm confident it is the only thing I have left to do for pain relief. I just hope he thinks so...

I'll keep you posted and again thank you for you warm welcome.
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. please do your homework before you finalize surgery. check out the "Good News" forum for a good read on successful surgeries. good luck with whatever you decide to do for pain control. Jenny :)
  • I am wondering if PT is the only conservative treatment that you have tried? Have you tried any of the injections? Surgery is always best left as a final solution as there really are no guarantees with surgery either. What ever you and your doc decide I wish you the best of luck. Please keep us posted with your progress.
  • You should be used to living in pain being a Chicago fan. I know I am. Best of luck with your health and 'GO CUBS'.
advertisement