Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I have all 4.....DDD, Spinal stenosis, arthritis, sciatica

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
I am starting to read these message boards again and find the information that all of you provide to be very helpful. Sometimes I don't know which "subject line" to go to first!?? I have DDD, lumbar spinal stenosis, osteoarthritis (in the spine as well) and sciatica!

The last week or so, the most intense pain I have is in my butt (both of them) and in my hamstrings (both). They feel like they are pulled tight and hurt like heck when I try to get up from a chair and when I try to walk. I am on a new pain med (Suboxone) and as the day goes on, it seems to do a good job relieving some of the pain.

I am doing minimal stretching exercises prescribed by my Pain Mgmt Dr. and PT and have been applying heat to the lumbar area.A protruding and bulging disc at L3L4 seems to be causing alot of the pain via nerve compression.

My Dr. suggested that we might do a treatment of oral steroids again, but I had a psychotic reaction the last time I took that Medrol Dosepak.

Any other ideas for non surgical treatment that you all might have...esp if you have all the diagnoses I have???

Thanks much.

Richard
Chicago O:)
advertisement

Comments

• I have all 4 too unfortunately. I have been dealing with alot of pain recently and I switched Paim Management Dr in July and got an epidural injection 2 weeks ago and it did wonders for me. I really feel good although the pain is returning somewhat. Can I ask a question...why are you on suboxone? I always thought that was for withdrawels when you come off opiate medication. Does it really help with the pain? I ask because I am currently on opiates and I am thinking if maybe one day I want to get off of them I could use suboxone. I consulted 3 surgeons and they all said since I had so many things wrong with my back that surgery isnt an option. I hope you have better luck than I did.
  • Thanks for your reply. My Pain Mgmt Doc suggested Suboxone for me because I am a recovering alcoholic / addict with almost 5 years clean and sober...and I expressed an interest in getting off the Vicodin because I felt it was making me depressed (and I already take Lexapro and Wellbutrin XL for depression).

So a month or so ago, she suggested Suboxone for my pain. She mentioned that it is also used to treat heroin addicts and folks addicted to opiates who want to get off them. It still has the potential for dependence but it is a partial opiate receptor agonist (I think I have the wording right...please correct me if I don't) and therefore less addictive than Vicdoin.

It certainly DOES relieve my pain and in just two days, my pain relief is much better than with Vicodin. I was only taking 5 mg q six hours of Vicodin and still had pain. The side effects of dizziness and feeling "out of it" are less today. And one side note...the Doc also told me that long term use of opiates can cause decreases in testosterone which can lead to muscle atrophy.

Only certain Docs can prescribe Suboxone. They have to be certified to do so. And they are limited in the number of patients they can treat at one time.

So that's what I know for now. I am always upfront with any of my Docs about being a recovering alcoholic/ addict including the Anesthesiologists at surgery,.

I am happy to hear that you latest epidural injection has given you some relief.

Stay in touch.

Richard O:)