Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cigars v. Cigarettes

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Stop Smoking
I smoke an occasional cigar which I do not inhale. I know everyone will say I should quit while healing but do you think it will really cause any harm if I smoke a couple a week sometime after the surgery? I'll ask my surgeon the same question.
advertisement

Comments

• I will not tell you to quit your an adult. And I am a smoker on my way next week to try to quit for good. ;)

There are documented facts from the medical profession that say smoking will decrease the chance of fusion. As the much needed oxygen you need for bone growth is lessened.

BUT I personally fused fine with my neck fusion.
    With my back last year I was not so lucky. So instead of 3 times being a charm. I have decided to stop with my revision coming up.

I did ask my ortho about this when I was there a few weeks ago.
    . As with my neck he was totally against smoking back in 04.
    He said " he has had patients that have not smoked a day in their life and have not fused" yes I think your chances are higher to not fuse. BUT then again you have people that smoke 24/7 and have done fine.
    I "personally" think its the luck of the draw. Just like playing a poker game or gambling.

It's also a very personal choice. ;)

When is your surgery?? And what type??
    I wish you the very best of luck!!
  • Surgery (AxiaLIF) is scheduled for 9/23/08. I personally think a good hand rolled cigar can be a healthy thing. I don't inhale and I only smoke a couple a week. Hand rolled quality cigars do not have any additives like cigarettes do. Just 100% tobacco. They have a nice calming effect which is why I think they actually are somewhat beneficial to my health (at least my state of mind).
  • one of the surgeons i seen said they will do some kind of test to see if you have smoked, this test would be done before surgery, anyone know?
    also my sister was told that if she did not stop smoking the surgeon would have use her hip bone instead of of codiver anyone heard this?
  • I would think that cigar smoking is less likely to be an issue with healing vs cigs. You don't inhale cigars, but perhaps the second hand smoke your breathing from the cigar could have some adverse effect. I think you'll be fine.....personally :)
  • Well comparing the cigarettes with cigar is as if you compare Rolls Royce with Some Volvo car. Because when it comes to cigar you get the feeling of being a part of legacy, class, fame and superiority in every puff but cigarettes are just cigarettes which every other person can smoke.

URL removed, solicitation not permitted
    Post Edited by Authority Member Liz
  • Spam deleted. Spine-health reserves the right to edit or delete any post found to be in violation of forum rules.

Cindy
advertisement