Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Article "5 Surgeries To Avoid"..... Interesting Read.... #5 Low Back Surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I came across this article this morning in my surfing and found it an interesting read. #5 listed is Low Back Surgery..... duh!! But, there is some interesting information about up and coming possible treatments for us Low Back Spineys.

Hope all is well for everyone today.

Hugs,

Amy

http://living.health.com/2008/01/29/the-scary-truth-about-surgery/
advertisement

Comments

• Just read that article bugobuns.............intresting,i agree for me anyway i wish i had never had surgery
  • Vegas,

I feel exactly the same way. I know that I would not be in the position I am now had I not had so many open, traumatic surgeries at the same level of L4-5. But after the 1st one it simply opened a Pandora's Box of problems..... some stemming from problems prior to surgery, but many occuring as a result of a previous surgery and complications. I am a staunch supporter of trying ALL conservative treatments BEFORE allowing open back surgery, unless there are simply no alternatives.

Glad you liked the article.... by the way, had you heard anything about the stem cell research being done for us low back spineys? That was new info to me.

Take care,

Amy
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,740
    That url pointed article was interesting to read. It had some very valid points. But just as here on Spine-Health, advise comes via members who are NOT professionally trained. The same applied to that article. You read it, take it in and decide what to do with the informal information that was given.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I completely agree!! I would like to hope that folks know that I am no doctor or professional, but am always on the lookout for new information that may help even one person in our collective position. I read CNN everyday and they have had, and continue to have, interesting articles in their Health section. One in particular is a writer for their "Empowered Patient" articles.

I have posted articles of this nature ever since joining Spine Health a year and a half ago. I almost always say that they are an "interesting read" and not an authority on the subject.

Regards,

Amy
  • I think that the person who wrote the article must not have had to live with chronic back pain. I am only 5 weeks post op and already I am feeling so much better than before surgery. Read sig. for type of surgery.
  • How can angioplasty be on that list? Life, death, lets see which one will I choose.
  • I agree completely with it not being written by a person who has back issues!! I just thought the stem cell thing was pretty interesting.

I don't agree with the angioplasty or hysterectomy. They can both be life saving/changing procedures.

Amy
  • SOOOO glad to hear that you are benefiting from your surgery!! I hope it only continues for you!!! Take it easy tho and let your body heal fully. I know that after one of my early surgeries I was rushing to get back to work and that did me no favors for sure. I worked in an Orthopedic Surgery practice and worked for the foot and ankle surgeon.... lots of bending over and putting casts on people. My mind was ready but my body was definately not.

Here's to your continued healing and success!

Hugs,

Amy >:D<
  • I think too many surgeons rush into back surgery without giving conservative treatment a long enough time or effort. This seems to be more so when a Work Comp. company wants the injury resolved quickly.

luckily I work for a railroad who is self insured so my work injury won't be settled for a long time, and then since it's not controlled by work comp, I can settle or sue under federal laws.

The railroad has been good as they approved the neck surgery over the phone with my surgeon and will approve back surgery for my disk if the time comes.
  • I love how people who never had back pain tell us to excersize, try pain management and wait a year.
    Sure, in that time, I'm in bed for a year(!!!) my life comes to a screeching halt and I incur permanent nerve damage.

It felt like I had a massive butcher knife in my lower back.
    My right calf shrank approximately 1½", I could NOT stand up straight(45° angle at best), or walk.
    Of course that was my experience and mine alone, but I'm happy with the choices I've made.

Would love to see medical science figure out how to regenerate lumbar discs.
    -----------------------------
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Pre-op I DID ask about the stem cell research and asked how long I would have to 'hang on' until it would be considered - well, all I got was a laugh. Apparently the answer is years and years - time I did not have, well not if wanted to keep walking anyway.

I am still hoping that my L4-3 stays strong until stem cell becomes a realistic option. I don't hold out much hope for this last surgery to be an ONLY surgery, it seems once you start back surgery it's just the start -once a spiney, always a spiney.
  • Hi-

This is actually my first post. I will explain my back history in a different post, but I wanted to chime in on the part of the article dealing with Hysterectomies. I do think that there are many unnecessary ones done. I had a very large uterine fibroid that was pressing on my bladder. More than one Dr. wanted to yank out my uterus. Thankfully I found a wonderful Dr. who did a minimally invasive myomectomy. My recovery was quick and it was so worth it. I am very glad that I didn't have a hysterectomy.
  • This definately was an interesting read. I do agree with this readers comment on the bottom of the article:

B Roitberg
    I would like to comment on “lower back surgery”. The scope of “lower back surgery” is large; there are many problems that can affect the lower back, and many non-operative and surgical options to treat them. It is true that some surgical procedures for the lower back are overused. However, it is also true that for several common conditions, like pinched nerve (radiculopathy) from a herniated disc, surgery usually results in faster recovery than waiting for spontaneous resolution. Moreover, sometimes surgery is definitely necessary without delay - for example when the herniated disc causes progressive weakness or other loss of function. Avoiding surgery in these cases will result in permanent neurological deficit. Rather than making a blanket statement like “avoid lower back surgery” I would recommend to use reason and logic. Distinguish between isolated lower back pain (surgery rarely the best option) and other problems such as radiculopathy, spinal instability, spinal stenosis with difficulty walking etc (surgery is often helpful and may be necessary!) Ask your doctor questions, and get a second opinion!

• Great new picture too!!
advertisement