Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone not fusing after ALIF fusion?

candle99ccandle99 Posts: 279
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, I'm 9 weeks postop from ALIF fusion on L4/L5 with cages and BMP. My xrays didn't show any fusion yet. I go back in 6 weeks for more xrays. This has scared me. Is this normal?

For those that are further out postop from a fusion, have any of you not fused? What do you do then? I keep imagining those cages just grating and rocking into my joints/bones.

I do take one Celebrex 200mg a day and my NS knows this. He didn't say to stop taking it. I've also been pretty active, doing laundry, bending some, sweeping, vacumning, etc. This is my first week back to work, sitting all day as a programmer. I've been sore and still have mechanical pain. When I'm still I don't hurt.

advertisement

Comments

• First glad your recovering and over the bump as of now.

I did not start to show some fusion with my neck until the 3rd month. I had a MRI done. Xrays do show fusion but not as well as the more extensive tests.

Your only 9 weeks out. That is still early. I would not set off that alarm just yet. If your Dr does not seem to be to concerned yet. Just go with the flow of recovery.

EVERYONE fuses and recovers at a different rate. No one person is the same. You will hear stories of 6 weeks fusion (very rare), 3months, 6 months, even up to a year. Sometimes longer.
    It all STARTS in us at different rates and times.
    So it all depends on the person.

Just keep going by your Drs. orders and of course call them with any unexplained pain.

HANG IN THERE!!
    Terri >:D<
  • I go on the 24th to find out how I am fusing. My NS specificaly said "celebrex" when he gave me the list of meds I can NOT take. I would double check that.
  • It took me 4-6 months before the Dr saw any firm signs of my body fusing after my ACDF C5/C6 surgery. I think everyone heals at different rates and so, it's important to trust your body that it is doing its' job. Don't worry now, if you are still not fusing at month 6, then I would begin to worry, if I were in your shoes. Good luck to you!
  • It's good to hear from you guys! I hate that we all have the same things in common, but glad that since we do, everyone is so nice to share info. Okay, so my next appt. will be around the 4.5 months point for xrays the end of Oct. So if there's a little then, I'll feel much better. Just ready for the pain and popping/bone rubbing noises to stop.

I think sometimes I'd rather had a cast or something. Well, not really. That would have been horrible, but I hate my brace and moving is just so taken for granted.

If only my body would be able to do what my brain has in mind. hahahah...I would be a ballerina or a cross country runner. hahaha...what a fantasy! I do good to get out of bed and go about my day.

Thanks for the fusing info. You are right, we're all different.
  • I was told there is no bending lifting or twisting for 12 weeks. I don't think that would have anything to do with the fusion though.... Unless you don't have any instrumentation. Did they use any hardware or just the cages?
  • Candle 99-LOL! I know what you mean! My head is waaaay ready to dance, run,play with the kids,-our bodies-not so much!
advertisement