Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Infuriating PCP visit...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Chronic Pain
Not sure if this belongs here but here goes.

Last night I had a visit with my PCP to see if they would give me a Rx for diazepam as it seems to be the only muscle relaxer that helps any at all. That and they said they had the report from my latest neck MRI there too.

So I ask her straight out if she can give me the Rx, I explained to her that I was in the ER twice in one weekend due to pain in my neck, arm, side torso and lower right side (leg). They gave me the valium as a muscle relaxer, worked beautifuly. She flat out said no, it's addicting.

Then she goes and says "Remember last year we wouldn't refill your pain meds for you anymore because you were addicted to them?" I just looked at her in disbelief.

This past Saturday I went and recieved a copy of every report from my NS to my PCP and lawyer so I could see what is being said about me. Well apparently according to my NS no amount of surgeries will get rid of my pain, it's permanent. Now I know that my PCP has been getting these reports, yet they think I'm fishing for pain killers. :O

It doesn't matter because my NS finally said he would handle my pain meds for me, anything else to get from the PCP. Also, I had to remind her that she had my new MRI report. THe only new thing on going on now is arthritis in my c-spine! JOY! My PCP seemed shocked that my NS was Rx'ing me percocet to handle my pain.

I've been with this PCP for over 20 years, I would hate to change but I may have to go to my wife's PCP who is a little more understanding.

Again, I wasn't fishing for pills to get high, I'm well past the "high" effects stage of pain meds (2.5 years), I'm just trying to maintain and decent level of life day to day and of all people the docs are making it the hardest.
advertisement

Comments

• am so sorry that this has happened to you and I can understand you not wanting to leave a doc that you have been with for a long time....however , your health and well being is more important than anything else right now. Please keep us posted as to how you are doing and what you end up doing.....take care.....Miki
  • you really need a pain management doc and I certainly would not go back to the doc that is working against you. Life is hard enough with daily chronic pain without having a PCP working against you instead of for you. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • First of all I can't believe that Paul's doc refused Xanax because it's addictive! What a joke! In my experience, (not for me personally) doc's have given this (Xanax) out like it's candy. Along with Klonipin which I happen to be on. Valium seems to be the hardest one to get. I really don't understand what the difference is here but I guess that doesn't matter. I've noticed that many of the people on this message board have been given valium as part of their pain management routine along with drugs such as Oxycontin. That surprised me! Years ago while dealing with the extreme stress and heartbreak of watching a loved one waiting to pass away in the hospital I asked my PCP at that time, who I had been with for over 10 years for just enough valium to get me by until everything was over, he refused me. I was shocked to say the least! I wasn't on any med's at that time in my life! Doctor's are funny, you never know what you're going to get even with the ones you've been with forever. Kind of like a box of chocolate's! I also don't understand why your PCP would be shocked that your NS is taking over your pain management. As far as I know, that would be his job. Good luck and I hope that you find the kind of doc that you need who will care and give you the quality of life that you deserve.

• Painintheback said it best! With what you're going through, you need to surround yourself with kind, caring supportive people (people like us!). I'd love to write her a letter and tell her what an insensitive phycisian she is. I'd start asking around and scoot as soon as you;ve found a competent doc who treats you with respect.
  • You most definitely need to get hooked up with a Pain Management Dr. These people at least to me, are fantastic when it comes to the healing of both physical and mental pain. They deal with dependency, addiction, tolerance, you name it and they can handle it. The good ones that is. There are always going to be some PM Dr.s that are in it for the dough and I don't mean the kind that you kneed. I think that anyone seeing a physician and is taking pain meds should without a doubt get a referal to a PM Dr as soon as they can. There will always come a point where your PCP will tell you that you're an addict or you need to taper off of this med, and stuff like that. The PM will work with you.
  • Thanks everyone, for your response and all.

I think ya'll are right, I definitely need to find a good PM doc, unfortunately the only In-Network ones around here won't bring me on unless I they do shots first and I have at least 5 months before I can have anymore needles stuck in my neck.

My NS doc seems to understand what I'm going thru but he doesn't like Rx'ing pain meds too much. I mean he'll give me 10mg percocets at 4-5 hours as needed but he won't give me any slow release/long acting meds.

He last gave me a Rx for the oxycodone at every 4 hours and a Rx for 2mg dilaudid as needed for breakthrough, however my insurance said no more than 180 pills of ANY class II drug. So I was short changed on the percocet.

I tried to strectch them out but couldn't make it, now I have to deal with withdrawls (of the gastrointestinal type) which are making me extremely miserable.
  • candy is addictive, breathing is addictive, chocolate is addictive. anything can be labled as addictive. this is the perverable take 2 aspirin and call me in the morning. yes valium can be addictive, but it is a schedule 4 drug with a low potential for addiction. like said before, get a new pain dr. this guy is either afraid or anti meds. if he feels this about valium, what does he do for guys in real pain that need narcotics. i bet he does not prescribe them to his patients. he should not be a pain dr if he is that hesitant about prescribing narcotics. he should not be in the business.
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.