Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Amazing news!!!

brucie76bbrucie76 Posts: 114
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I got a call back from my dr's office today about the bone stimulator that my dr had said he wanted me to get. They told me that my insurance would not pay for it. HOWEVER....since my dr really wanted me to have it, and they had it ordered already...she told me that they are GIVING it to me!!! I asked how this was possible...considering it is a $5,000 machine!!! She told me all I need to do is sign a form promising to use it as directed (she said something about having to wear it all the time), and she could sign off on it. And that I wouldn't owe them anything for it. It's a good thing I was already laying down when I got the call or else i'd have fallen over lol. All I have to do now is to get back down to my dr's office on Friday to pick it up. Which I will definitely make sure I do lol. My dr had told me last week that if my insurance didn't cover it to not worry about it. Didn't think he meant it this way though lol. Guess this is Karma's way of making up for him not listening to me for the last 3 years of telling him something wasn't right and him finally listening to me earlier this year.
advertisement

Comments

• is fabulous news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <:P =D>
  • Great news Brucie. Congratulations. =D>
  • WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW =D>

That is amazing. I'm so happy for you!!!!!!!!! >:D<
    Hope it does its job ;)
  • What fantastic news Brucie, I bet you are on cloud 9. So pleased for you, and what fantastic docs you have got, to do this for you.

• why do dome people use those and othes do not? My doc never mentioned it to me. Don't you just LOVE when a doctor actually CARES about you! THat is great news! I had several docs see me for FREE because I had no insurance and they wanted to make sure my spinal tumor was not cancer. Those kind of docs remember WHY they became docs in the first place-some docs are ONLY concerned with $$$.
  • My dr never mentioned getting one of these for my first surgery. Don't know the difference this time around. I'm sure this will be a tax write-off for them, but that's on them lol.
  • happened to me, I asked how much it was and they said the dr ordered it and Not to worry about the bill they would write it off,,, I use it for 4 hours daily,,, it seems to make me hurt more though I am not sure why.
  • All I can say is WOW, great news :)

Bruce
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• Wow Brucie!!

Isn't it the most warmest feeling inside when something like that happens to you? I am so happy that you will get what you need and not have to have the stress of how it will happen or if it will happen or...how it might be paid for.

Best wishes and I am so excited for you!! :)
    Chrissy
  • This is wonderful news, I really hope that the bone stimulator works well for you.
    Dont jump too high on the bed!

Blessings Sara O:)
  • Thanx everyone, for allowing me to share my good news with y'all. I'm still in shock. And as much as I wanted to I don't think I'm able to jump on my bed lol!!!
  • just a quick--- Im Happy for You!.....patsy
  • Isn't it wonderful to find a doctor with a heart :X My NS told me he would not charge for my surgery, he thought I really needed it, and worry about ME! These doctors are far a few, but they are doing God's work... :X and very special people.
    JustMe
  • Just back from the dr's office to pick up my machine. It is actually a spinal fusion stimulator, and I need to wear it 24/7 for at least the next 3 months, possibly longer. But its small and will fit into my pocket easily or clip onto a waistband. A possible perk? Since she attached it to me, my pain has been less!!! I took meds this morning, and usually have to take them again around mid-day. I didn't today and im actually feeling ok. For now lol. Don't wanna jinx myself.

What I still find amazing is how such a small piece of equipment can cost so much.
  • Hi Folks,

I am having surgery next week Sept 17th and my doctor wants me to use a Bone Stimulator after. It got delivered by a rep from the company this week. An answer to the question of why use it is that it improves the fusion rate on multiple discs surgery and improves fusion on folks with issues that effect fusio. I was told that my doctor wants everyone to use it but my doctor also does not use neck braces. I'll understand this better after I speak to him on my Monday but my current understanding is that using a brace might cause muscles in the neck to atrophy since the brace does the work the muscles should be doing. Feels a little scary to be not be getting a brace and the Bone Stimulator sure is not something supportive but guess I will have to wait and see.
    LJ
  • At the time of my L3-S1 fusion surgery, the surgeon inserted a bone fusion stimulator right under my skin (same incision) and put the electrodes on the bone grafts. He said that the lithium battery will be dead in about six months, and at that time he can remove the battery pack at outpatient's or it can stay in, if it does not bother me. So far (4 months pot-op) it hasn't bothered me, so I just may keep it. My surgery was absolutely pain-free, and now I am wondering if maybe the bone simulator is at least partly responsible.

Good luck with your bone stimulator Brucie!

Kin
  • What was explained to me today was that it will help to stimulate blood flow to the area it is placed at to stimulate bone growth. This will in turn help to strengthen the area that was fused. Plus i've noticed so far that my pain has lessened. Which is always a plus.
advertisement