Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Disc Bulge and bone spur contacting the spinal cord

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
It is hard for me to even accept this recent diagnosis. It was less than one year ago that I endured a repeat lumbar fusion of L5-S1 because the first fusion failed leaving me with broken cadavor bone and an unstable spine. After the initial recovery my knee buckled quite a bit, perhaps from nerve damage and in early August I fell hard on an outstretched arm. A recent MRI showed problems at C5-6 and C6-7 including a herniation that contacts the cord, two bone spurs, and advanced Degenerative Disc Disease. So now I am wondering if anyone out there lives with this situation and if any kind of therapy helps. My surgeon said to avoid the cortizone injections if I can and now I live in fear of another fall that might cause paralysis.I won't consider another surgery unless I loose function. Has anyone benefited from accupuncture? To top things off I was having a chiro crack this neck of mine for the last six weeks before finding out how bad it was. oh boy.
advertisement

Comments

• Sorry to hear you are having these problems. I have some of the same cervical problems. I'm sure you know (from experience0 to always get more than one opinion (if you can). I am not planning to have surgery until symptoms leave me no choice, and I have consulted several neurosurgeons. God Bless you, and keep us posted.--Mazy
  • I too have similiar cervical issues and I'm curious why the surgeon said to stay way from the cortisone injections. Perhaps it has to do with myelopathy. And I guess in a way, unfortunately, welcome to the forum.
  • My neck is a mess. Severe spondylosis at all levels. I also have a broad central herniation at c6-c7 that indents the thecal sac and touches the cord. That seems unchanged from 4 years ago. At this point we are simply watching it as it does not seem to be causing me problems.